BHS Coaching Qualifications and freelance instructors insurance

Kat

Visit site
Asking for a friend who isn't on here.

I know that the BHS qualifications have recently changed, but the information on the website isn't massively helpful about the practicalities.

Friend is employed as a groom on a professional competition yard but has been asked by a few people about lessons. They could do this on their days off to earn some extra cash but it wouldn't be a full time undertaking so they are trying to weigh up whether it is worth getting qualifications and insurance to do it.

Cards on the table I'm encouraging them as I think it would be good for their long terms career prospects, as well as being a useful bit of extra income. They would probably prefer to get a qualification for their own development and confidence but it does depend a bit upon how practical and expensive it is to get qualified, as the intention at least for now is for it to be a "side hustle".

They have direct entry to the BHS Level 2 Coaching and level 3 care and riding based upon qualifications they have already, and will have direct entry to BHS Level 4 care and riding in a couple of months when they have finished their apprenticeship, but still only level 2 coaching.

So how do you go about doing the level 2 coaching on its own? What kind of training do you need before doing the exam? How do you go about preparing for the exam if you don't work at an accredited training centre? Is there an advantage to doing the exam at the place you have trained? Our (not very) local training centres don't seem to have any exam dates for level 2 coach this year, they do have level 3 though!

How big is the step up to level 3? Do you still need to log a certain number of hours teaching for this? Is additional training at a training centre the best way to go about preparing? Can the teaching practice be done freelance and unsupervised?

Roughly how much would insurance be as a freelance coach teaching client's at their own yard on their own horses for an unqualified coach? How much cheaper is it if you are qualified, and what level of qualification brings the cost down?

Any advice, experience or other comments would be appreciated

Kat

Visit site
Thanks, I was hoping to get some real life experiences before phoning and booking. It would help plan things if we knew a bit more what to expect and how others have found doing the coaching exams especially if they don't work in an environment where they are able to do some teaching.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I did my UKCC2 instead and it was much quicker and recognised by BHS to enable me to teach and get insurance. I work full time so don’t have the capacity or time to go through the BHS stages but wanted a qualification to get insured. It was about 5 days training then a portfolio of teaching on top.

View

Visit site
Doing the coaching exams without coaching practice is going to be really tough. Some of the bigger centres will offer short courses which offer the practise as well as making sure that that she understands what the assessors are looking for.

it’s now two teaching exams to get the stage 3 coach.

what about doing the UKCC route with the Pony Club and getting some practise in under watchful eyes?

Kat

Visit site
Doing the coaching exams without coaching practice is going to be really tough. Some of the bigger centres will offer short courses which offer the practise as well as making sure that that she understands what the assessors are looking for.

it’s now two teaching exams to get the stage 3 coach.

what about doing the UKCC route with the Pony Club and getting some practise in under watchful eyes?

Might be best seeing whether Ingestre or somewhere can offer some private tuition to prepare for the exams perhaps?

I don't think pony club would work, they have no background with PC and no contacts at PC either, plus their days off work vary so they couldn't commit to being available for all rallies.

Kat

Visit site
I did my UKCC2 instead and it was much quicker and recognised by BHS to enable me to teach and get insurance. I work full time so don’t have the capacity or time to go through the BHS stages but wanted a qualification to get insured. It was about 5 days training then a portfolio of teaching on top.

I have heard similar from others, but trying to find any easy to digest information about what you actually need to do is difficult and it looks as though they are in the process of changing too.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be great!

teapot

Visit site
She won't be able to take the BHS Stage 2 Coaching (the old PTT) without taking her Stage 1, Ride Safe (the old riding and road safety) and then her Stage 2 Ride/Care/Lunge. Once she's got her 2 Coaching, she could take the Stage 3 Coaching which replaces the 500 hours/portfolio, but would NOT be able to register on the Approved Professional Coaches list which gives you decent insurance as part of the annual fee (the old register) unless she did her complete 3.

The UKCC route is possible to go down through BD/BE/BS/PC but it is slowly dying out as a qualification employment wise - the UKCC 3 and 4 have FAR more weight. The UKCC coaching is now no different to the new BHS teaching/coaching exams. Your friend would have to choose which body to do it through. You need your own liability insurance, membership to that body, First Aid, Safeguarding, DBS, plus course costs - it is not a cheaper 'easier' route.

This is the BD one https://www.britishdressage.co.uk/g...ations/british-dressage-coaching-certificate/

BS here: https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/training/British-Showjumping-Coaching-Certificate-BSCC-UKCC

In order to the BHS exams - you pay for training yourself, or go work at a training centre. There are no cheap shortcuts. She'd have to apply for direct entry to the BHS if she just wanted to do the 2 teach, and that comes with its own paperwork. She'd have to fufil the criteria and it's detailed: CV, references, £50 application fee etc.

Without training though - she'd be stupid to book an exam and try to wing it. The BHS exams are NOT what they were. Trust me, have gone through the new system in the last two years at three different levels, and I wouldn't advise ANYONE, not even at Stage 4 level to not book a few sessions! They may have direct entry, but doesn't mean they're of the standard to sit the exams of the level above immediately either.

Re training where you do the exam - huge benefits at the lower levels. The 2 Coach/Teach is about being safe AND giving good lesson content.

I do staff training/quals as part of my job for employees and freelancers so know the ins and outs like the back of my hand. PM me :)

Last edited:

McGrools

Visit site
Snap.
Far more time efficient and straightforward with UKCC if you already have a good knowledge base

Jango

Visit site
Not sure if you can get insurance without the qualifications? But if you can then I'd recommend she goes that route as it's just a few hours a week. BHS quals are important if you want to work in a riding school and I believe the ukcc ones are needed if you want to be on BD lists (might be wrong here!). But for freelancing honestly most private owners aren't fussed. For me and most people I know it's riding experience, comp record and manner of coaching/explaining things that are important. If she already has people who want her to teach them then if possible I'd get insured, work with them then if it ends up growing look at ukcc in the future.

ruth83

Visit site
It is no longer possible to 'just enter the exam'. To enter any of the BHS assessments above Stage 1 level, you have to be trained and signed off by a BHS Accredited Professional Coach. Either a freelancer or at a centre.

Many centres won't be showing many available dates for S2 coach as it is a difficult assessment to run in a covid secure manner.

Ingestre would be a good place to start with an assessment and training plan. They may also have assessments on offer later in the year.

Whilst it will cost her, both from a training, assessment and ongoing insurance point of view, it often creates a career fallback plan for grooms. Coaching can be done with less physical requirements than grooming!

The route to S3 Coach (previously known as BHSAI) no longer requires a logbook of hours. There is now a coaching assessment at S3 level to achieve this. Whilst there is a step up, its also a slightly sideways step. At S2 you coach individual lunge and lead rein lessons to novice riders, plus a group lesson to riders who can W/T/C and jump up to 75cm and a stable management session. At S3 you coach an individual dressage level at Novice BD level, plus a semi private arena xc lesson to riders who should be at or close to BE80 level.

You can become an accredited professional coach once you reach S3 level (would require riding, care and lunging quals, you would need to speak with The BHS re crossover qualifications). The annual cost is £439 (can be paid monthly) and includes your first aid and safeguarding courses, BHS membership and insurance (groom, coach and CCC). I don't know how much non qualified coaching insurance costs, but each time I have enquired with an insurer they have said they can't do it cheaper than The BHS (I haven't enquired for some time). It may be worth getting insured outside The BHS on a short term basis when they have passed the S2, to facilitate coaching and practice towards the next level.

The 'UKCC' no longer exists as a centrally awarded qualification. It is now awarded through the overseeing body, so PCCC, BSCC or BDCC. BE have stopped their education offering.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions

Reactions: Kat

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not sure if you can get insurance without the qualifications? But if you can then I'd recommend she goes that route as it's just a few hours a week. BHS quals are important if you want to work in a riding school and I believe the ukcc ones are needed if you want to be on BD lists (might be wrong here!). But for freelancing honestly most private owners aren't fussed. For me and most people I know it's riding experience, comp record and manner of coaching/explaining things that are important. If she already has people who want her to teach them then if possible I'd get insured, work with them then if it ends up growing look at ukcc in the future.

It certainly was possible. I have a softball of quals, but wanted to help a friend find insurance. They could actually ride and teach, had been doing for years, very successful FEI, with successful FEI clients too. I found 3rd party insurance through Julie Andrews insurance brokers for them. A little more expensive on the face of it for the insurance, but not if you also take into account all the other hoops BHS has you jump through.

Reactions: Kat

Kat

Visit site
She won't be able to take the BHS Stage 2 Coaching (the old PTT) without taking her Stage 1, Ride Safe (the old riding and road safety) and then her Stage 2 Ride/Care/Lunge. Once she's got her 2 Coaching, she could take the Stage 3 Coaching which replaces the 500 hours/portfolio, but would NOT be able to register on the Approved Professional Coaches list which gives you decent insurance as part of the annual fee (the old register) unless she did her complete 3.
According to the BHS website they have direct entry by virtue of other qualifications, so don't need to do stage 1 and 2 ride/care/lunge first. There is a table showing the direct entry and they could going by that table get direct entry to stage 4 in a couple of months. So that suggests they wouldn't have to do stage 3 either.

I'm not suggesting they will jump straight in and do the next level of exam, I don't think they will have time to train for stage 4 but if the table I have seen is correct and it is just the coaching exams it seems as though they could potentially fit this in.
The UKCC route is possible to go down through BD/BE/BS/PC but it is slowly dying out as a qualification employment wise - the UKCC 3 and 4 have FAR more weight. The UKCC coaching is now no different to the new BHS teaching/coaching exams. Your friend would have to choose which body to do it through. You need your own liability insurance, membership to that body, First Aid, Safeguarding, DBS, plus course costs - it is not a cheaper 'easier' route.

This is the BD one https://www.britishdressage.co.uk/g...ations/british-dressage-coaching-certificate/

BS here: https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/training/British-Showjumping-Coaching-Certificate-BSCC-UKCC
https://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/training/British-Showjumping-Coaching-Certificate-BSCC-UKCC

I've seen that UKCC has changed and given that he doesn't have any affiliation to any of the awarding bodies so far the BHS route seems to make more sense.

In order to the BHS exams - you pay for training yourself, or go work at a training centre. There are no cheap shortcuts. She'd have to apply for direct entry to the BHS if she just wanted to do the 2 teach, and that comes with its own paperwork. She'd have to fufil the criteria and it's detailed: CV, references, £50 application fee etc.

Does the CV and references apply even if you are entitled to direct entry via standard qualifications? They have done an apprenticeship and it looks as though that qualification gives automatic direct entry. Have I missed something?

Given their full time job doesn't give them any opportunities to teach under supervision they will have to pay for training elsewhere. Just trying to work out the best way to go about it. I think a call to Ingestre might be in order, see what they can offer.

Without training though - she'd be stupid to book an exam and try to wing it. The BHS exams are NOT what they were. Trust me, have gone through the new system in the last two years at three different levels, and I wouldn't advise ANYONE, not even at Stage 4 level to not book a few sessions! They may have direct entry, but doesn't mean they're of the standard to sit the exams of the level above immediately either.

Absolutely no plans to wing it, just trying to work out the best ways to prepare given that it can't be done at work and approved centres are pretty thin on the ground. Our closest won't allow you to sit exams unless you are enrolled on a full time course, so it is going to involve some travel.
Re training where you do the exam - huge benefits at the lower levels. The 2 Coach/Teach is about being safe AND giving good lesson content.
Yes that would be ideal, but there is nowhere close enough. Ingestre or Brooksby would be possible for training but they don't seem to have any stage 2 coaching exams.
I do staff training/quals as part of my job for employees and freelancers so know the ins and outs like the back of my hand. PM me :)

Thanks for the offer to PM, and for your detailed comments. I will probably take you up on the offer when I have spoken to them a bit more about what they want to do and done some more research.

Kat

Visit site
It is no longer possible to 'just enter the exam'. To enter any of the BHS assessments above Stage 1 level, you have to be trained and signed off by a BHS Accredited Professional Coach. Either a freelancer or at a centre.

Many centres won't be showing many available dates for S2 coach as it is a difficult assessment to run in a covid secure manner.

Ingestre would be a good place to start with an assessment and training plan. They may also have assessments on offer later in the year.

Whilst it will cost her, both from a training, assessment and ongoing insurance point of view, it often creates a career fallback plan for grooms. Coaching can be done with less physical requirements than grooming!

The route to S3 Coach (previously known as BHSAI) no longer requires a logbook of hours. There is now a coaching assessment at S3 level to achieve this. Whilst there is a step up, its also a slightly sideways step. At S2 you coach individual lunge and lead rein lessons to novice riders, plus a group lesson to riders who can W/T/C and jump up to 75cm and a stable management session. At S3 you coach an individual dressage level at Novice BD level, plus a semi private arena xc lesson to riders who should be at or close to BE80 level.

You can become an accredited professional coach once you reach S3 level (would require riding, care and lunging quals, you would need to speak with The BHS re crossover qualifications). The annual cost is £439 (can be paid monthly) and includes your first aid and safeguarding courses, BHS membership and insurance (groom, coach and CCC). I don't know how much non qualified coaching insurance costs, but each time I have enquired with an insurer they have said they can't do it cheaper than The BHS (I haven't enquired for some time). It may be worth getting insured outside The BHS on a short term basis when they have passed the S2, to facilitate coaching and practice towards the next level.

The 'UKCC' no longer exists as a centrally awarded qualification. It is now awarded through the overseeing body, so PCCC, BSCC or BDCC. BE have stopped their education offering.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions

That is really helpful thanks.

Sounds as though for the stage 2 coach it will be pretty impossible without attending a centre, so first step is probably a chat with Ingestre as they are probably the closest place that can offer BHS training and exams to candidates who aren't full time students.

Stage 3 might be more possible to do with a freelance coach providing training and sign off if going to a centre is tricky.

Your suggestion to get insurance after stage 2 is a good one in terms of building experience.

I agree 100% about the costs being an investment in the future and as a career fall back plan/additional income stream. That's why I am trying to encourage them to pursue this.

teapot

Visit site
According to the BHS website they have direct entry by virtue of other qualifications, so don't need to do stage 1 and 2 ride/care/lunge first. There is a table showing the direct entry and they could going by that table get direct entry to stage 4 in a couple of months. So that suggests they wouldn't have to do stage 3 either.

Yes and I was outlining the normal route without direct entry :)

I'm not suggesting they will jump straight in and do the next level of exam, I don't think they will have time to train for stage 4 but if the table I have seen is correct and it is just the coaching exams it seems as though they could potentially fit this in.

Direct entry to coaching exams is different. Just speaking from experience though, BHS exams are a funny one and going straight into a teach exam having never experienced any of them can do weird things to the psyche. Especially for the 2 Coach which is all about saftety and can be a bit nitpicky.

I've seen that UKCC has changed and given that he doesn't have any affiliation to any of the awarding bodies so far the BHS route seems to make more sense.

As ruth83 pointed out UKCC isn't what it was and as a employer, certainly in my exeprience, it carries less weight. It is still a United Kingdon Coaching Certificate though ie UK Coaching , just the bodies have their name on it, not the UK. Info here: https://www.1st4sportqualifications.com/landing-page/our_qualifications/

There's this one for example - https://www.1st4sportqualifications...rian-Coaching-General-Riding-QS-V1-241017.pdf

Can do it through the ABRS route (and it's not a bad way to do so!) https://www.abrs-info.org/education/certificate-in-equestrian-coaching/

Does the CV and references apply even if you are entitled to direct entry via standard qualifications? They have done an apprenticeship and it looks as though that qualification gives automatic direct entry. Have I missed something?

It depends - will your friend be certified at end of current role? If they are then you just provide copies of the certs, BHS may well ask for for further info though. If no certs, it'll be the CV and refs route. They WILL need the R&RS/Ride Safe/Challenge Award Ride Out though, and there's no way around that. Plus the Safeguarding and First Aid courses (though believe those two have been extended ie get them after the exam).

Given their full time job doesn't give them any opportunities to teach under supervision they will have to pay for training elsewhere. Just trying to work out the best way to go about it. I think a call to Ingestre might be in order, see what they can offer.

Def try Ingestre, one of the best. Also offers a range of packages that don't cost the earth. Similar training down south is almost double the price.

Absolutely no plans to wing it, just trying to work out the best ways to prepare given that it can't be done at work and approved centres are pretty thin on the ground. Our closest won't allow you to sit exams unless you are enrolled on a full time course, so it is going to involve some travel.

Welcome to BHS training sadly. I do a 100 mile round trip for mine, as do many others. It's crap but it is what it is. BHS training is a huge investment time and money wise.

Yes that would be ideal, but there is nowhere close enough. Ingestre or Brooksby would be possible for training but they don't seem to have any stage 2 coaching exams.

There's a reason for that - Covid. There are issues with offering the lead rein lesson, poss lunge, and how many in the group session. Some centres are happier than others, some are only running for internal 'bubble' students. Exam dates are added all the time by the BHS, but does depend on demand. Ingestre's next one is November.

Sorry if that seems a bit blunt, it's not :) Just more the reality of getting qualified in the 21st cen Covid world and it will require a committment to travel and finances, and trust me I know about it! I have interviewed a number of people - grooms, apprentices, even higher up the ladder who are all keen to get their exams to teach/cheaper insurance, and then fall at the first hurdle when it comes to actually being invested in the process.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
That is really helpful thanks.

Sounds as though for the stage 2 coach it will be pretty impossible without attending a centre, so first step is probably a chat with Ingestre as they are probably the closest place that can offer BHS training and exams to candidates who aren't full time students.

Stage 3 might be more possible to do with a freelance coach providing training and sign off if going to a centre is tricky.

Stage 2 sign off is no different to the Stage 3 sign off. As long as it's a APC of the right level you're good to go. The problem is actually carrying out what's required for the sign off etc. As long as they're trained correctly by someone up to date with the latest requirements, they'd be ok, which may be a cheaper route? You don't HAVE to be at a training centre to get signed off. I've got the skills record on my desk if you would like a copy of what's needed?

Last edited: