Bhs dress code Livery Yard

Honeysrider

Visit site
What's the standard dress code for a bhs livery yard? I was always under the impression it was you needed appropriate footwear a suitable hat for turnout and don't wander around naked or in explicit clothing. What is the official stance?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I couldn't believe the BHS would have a dress code for livery yard staff, so did take a look, other than when riding what is worn on the yard doing general duties will be at the discretion of the YO, so they may easily be doing jobs in shorts, trainers and skimpy tops in hot weather, any less would be questionable, appropriate footwear when handling horses comes under the YO risk assessment so again down to the YO to decide and the same with wearing hats when turning out or bringing in, it is not standard practice to wear one in most yards but will be in some.

The BHS is more about setting standards of facilities and care rather than whatstaff do or don't wear.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Of the 2 decent BHS livery yards locally, their staff are always in dark jodhs, breeches or dark jeans, yard boots and neat polo shirts with yard name on. One insists on hat and gloves for handling, I don't know about the other tho.

miss_c

Visit site
I work (and livery) at a BHS approved yard. For work I have a dress code - practical clothing (jodhs/breeches/jeans, suitable boots, etc.) but hard hats are at our discretion as are gloves.

From a livery perspective hats and boots must be worn when riding. Anything else is advisory only e.g. hats for turning out, body protector, etc.

stormox

Visit site
I worked on BHS teaching and livery yard for several years- just looked smart (ish), boots, jeans or britches/boots if riding, anything on top half, usually a T shirt .didnt have to wear a hat or gloves when handling horses, just a hat compulsory when riding.

sarahann1

Visit site
I’m on a BHS yard and it’s a rule we have to wear hats when we ride and I do know of a former livery that got told off by the owners for wearing flip flops, but that’s just common sense.

Flicker

Visit site
Our BHS yard has a ‘no hat no ride’ rule for everyone. The staff are mostly in jeans and polo shirts, and yard boots. They also have waterproof boiler suits for wet winter days, but these are sometimes counterproductive because some horses are scared of them.

catkin

Visit site
Surely liveries can wear what they like? Common sense denotes sensible shoes and a hat for riding though.

Ahh, is there a rule about no skimpy tops OP? (in addition to hats, boots etc)
If so then that is down to safety - and if you've ever been deposited in a bramble patch or rubbed through a hawthorn hedge you'll know why all too well!!!!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
The RDA yard I volunteered at specified no tank tops, but we were provided with branded polo tops after the fact.
As well as long bottoms ( jods/jeans etc) and "sensible footwear" though this was variable as what constituted sensible after I accidentally put a straw fork through my welly straight into my foot, they certainly never did anything against the whopping great fat cob who made it his life mission to stomp on your foot!
It was run by a very old school BHSAI.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ahh, is there a rule about no skimpy tops OP? (in addition to hats, boots etc)
If so then that is down to safety - and if you've ever been deposited in a bramble patch or rubbed through a hawthorn hedge you'll know why all too well!!!!

My old-school RI (in the '60s) would never allow any-one on her yard without sleeves from a safety pov! She would have been horrified to see someone in a vest top, or shorts!

twiggy2

Visit site
Years ago when I did my BHS trying and worked at a BHS yard.
Staff wore dark jobs or breeches, steel toe capped boots when not riding, dark tops that covered your shoulders when on yard duties. Hats and gloves for loading and ground work but not turnout. Gloves, riding boots and hats for riding.
Liveries wore what they liked but the standard was set by staff and most liveries wore jobs, boots and tops that covered shoulders.
No-one was allowed to do any ground work or riding without a hat though including liveries.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Well, it's clearly a good job I don't livery at a BHS approved yard ... it hadn't crossed my mind there might be a dress code for liveries.

I mucked out this morning in floral PJ bottoms with odd socks country boots & a vest top. I bathed my horse in a bikini at the weekend. Earlier this week I hacked 15k in trainers (I use caged stirrups) & a sleeveless sports top. I'll probably be bringing in this afternoon in country boots & a summer dress.

No gear, no idea ... :D

xDundryx

Visit site
if I'm in a rush after work or have a vet visit etc I swap court shoes for yard boots, they team up nicely with a skirt and tights...

sport horse

Visit site
I have a private yard - I do not allow my staff to ride without proper boots and hat and also a shirt with sleeves.
While handling the horses they must wear boots or a decent shoe. In hot weather they are welcome to wear shorts, tank tops, trainers while they are mucking out, haying making feeds etc.
I would have thought that this was basic common sense for both staff and liveries.

Annagain

Visit site
I had a lesson last week for which I was due to be leaving work early as I had a few hours owing to me. I knew I'd be cutting it fine to get away so rather than go home to change I took all my clothes to work and changed in the toilet. It was at this point I realised I had forgotten any suitable shoes.

I managed to get to my car in the carpark without being seen but my friends at the yard were highly amused to see me turn up in jods, an old t-shirt, socks and a lovely pair of pale pink wedge sandals :eek3:

My riding boots live at the yard before anybody thinks this is how I rode :p

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My horse was on working livery at a BHS training yard/equine college.

The stated dress code was jod's/breeches of either "official" pale shades i.e. white-through-to-cream: OR darker shades such as navy, brown/black, or grey (i.e. not anything garish like pink!); and a suitable smart-casual top i.e. either a "college" top or something plain and sensible like a polo shirt (no silly logo's!) (informal) or blouse & tie/jacket (formal). No jeans. Am not sure whether "jeans-jods" would have been acceptable, never dared try it! Hi viz to be worn without exception if hacking out, plus hat of current BHS spec, either joddy boots with gaiters or long-boots, and gloves had to be worn when riding. There was a big notice in the yard saying that for handling or riding horses then hats, gloves & correct footwear must be worn "at all times". If my recollection is correct, body protectors were compulsory for students but optional for owners/liveries unless competing.

Oh and no jewellery apart from a wristwatch. Period. I've got each ear pierced with three holes per ear, and I used to stick surgical tape over the top. Easier!

I complied with the dress code, even though I wasn't attending the college as a student, was only an owner. Think they expected owners to set an example to students, and quite rightly too, not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: