BHS Exams

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
There have been a lot of threads on here recently where people have observed candidates failing BHS exams.
Clearly, the candidates would not have entered the BHS exams if they didn't believe they were up to standard, so something must be wrong with the system.
Candidates are being disadvantaged by being examined by older horsemen and women, often with affilliations (through living or working) with particular areas or regions of the country, perhaps even with individual people in those areas.
Instead, I suggest that the BHS should adopt a self-certifying approach, where candidates can sign themselves off at the appropriate level (or be exempt if they compete affiliated in BD, BSJA or BE). All that would be needed is a log book, where the candidate states their riding and stable management abilities, updated as they progress.
Who agrees?
S :D

Mamba

New User
Visit site
I think we should also be able to 'back date' our log books. As a 16 year old I would have been able to pass with ease (IMHO). But now I am a lot older and more brittle I would struggle. That's fair isn't it?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
no no, they should be judged by a group of their peers, as on a forum (cant imagine which one) where photos are submitted. Then the popular would get comments like "Don't you look wonderful together" on a photo of the horse having it's back teeth yanked out, and pass; whilst the newcomers and less well liked would fail, through having submitted a photo whose perfection was marred by a headcollar on a fence two fields away.

Far more democratic don't you think?

Ani

Visit site
What an idea lol, but you forgot to mention all those numpties who have passed BHS exams who are not at any standard, having trained working pupils and students for years, there are many who pass who i wouldn't employ to look after my pet gold fish :0) :0) :0), no common sense on real horsemanship skills.

LeneHorse

Visit site
All that would be needed is a log book, where the candidate states their riding and stable management abilities, updated as they progress.
Who agrees?

My yard would be crawling with AIs under this system, most of them aged under 16. Rather scary! Whereas most of the really good instructors I know would probably be too busy to keep their logbooks up to date and would get struck off (but they are probably far too old and scottish to be teaching anyway!) :D

touchstone

Visit site
I think the exams serve a useful purpose tbh; a riders ability is seen in the flesh on different horses and it is easier to assess somebody when they are off their own turf. The problems with a log book are that it would be open to fraud. There are pleny of people willing to say that they have done A, B or C when in reality they are stretching the truth a little.
There are those who compete at affiliated level who wouldn't have the skills to teach effectively and then you've got to have a set standard for safety etc which might get by-passed if you don't have a system for assessing people properly. There are also those competing whose riding style might not pass the requirements, which sounds petty, but if you are setting yourself up as an example to others and teaching you've got to be able to do things the correct way. I think the exams already take experience into account at the higher levels anyway for example for the BHSI - "Much hard work and dedication is required to achieve the BHSI examination. It is not an exam for which you can go to a centre to train for a few months – you really must be ‘out there and doing it’. The BHSI is qualified to teach riders to the level of Advanced Medium Dressage, Intermediate Horse Trials and Foxhunter level Show Jumping."

Just my take on things, but I wouldn't like to see the exam system go, it is not the be all or end all of good intructors or riders, but it certainly is a good springboard into keeping the standards of equestrianism up to scratch providing they are keeping exam standards high, and I see them as a good opening into becoming a good horseman/woman with further experience. Oh my - just realised the vein of this thread lol! :D

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My yard would be crawling with AIs under this system, most of them aged under 16. Rather scary! Whereas most of the really good instructors I know would probably be too busy to keep their logbooks up to date and would get struck off (but they are probably far too old and scottish to be teaching anyway!) :D

*wipes lamb and roast tomato off the screen*

"far too old and scottish to be teaching"

*splutters more roast tomato over keyboard*

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
No offence to the Scottish, but I wasn't thinking that this log book system would be open to them, due to the difficulties regarding affiliation (as Scotland isn't considered part of Britain so competing in eventing would be harder for Scotch candidates, for example).
There haven't really been any examples of competitive riders from Scotland either. :(
Unless, of course, you could link pony trekking skills/aptitudes to, say dressage movements (a halt for sheep to be herded in front of you would be just as good as a BD halt, wouldn't it?).

TGM

Visit site
Instead, I suggest that the BHS should adopt a self-certifying approach, where candidates can sign themselves off at the appropriate level (or be exempt if they compete affiliated in BD, BSJA or BE). All that would be needed is a log book, where the candidate states their riding and stable management abilities, updated as they progress.
Who agrees?

That sounds a fantastic idea - that way nobody has to risk having their fragile ego dented by the out-dated opinions of a wrinkly has-been!;)

LeneHorse

Visit site
No offence to the Scottish, but I wasn't thinking that this log book system would be open to them, due to the difficulties regarding affiliation (as Scotland isn't considered part of Britain so competing in eventing would be harder for Scotch candidates, for example).
There haven't really been any examples of competitive riders from Scotland either. :(
Unless, of course, you could link pony trekking skills/aptitudes to, say dressage movements (a halt for sheep to be herded in front of you would be just as good as a BD halt, wouldn't it?).

Aye Right! Personally I think the BHS exams should all be conducted on extremely wide and stubborn highland ponies - that would sort out the men fom the boys. Riders should be attired in full dress kilts for the exams also! (especially the men).
And sheep can greatly improve dressage performance - my mare will do a lovely turn on the forehand followed by extended canter whenever one of the woolly menaces comes anywhere near her.

TGM

Visit site
Aye Right! Personally I think the BHS exams should all be conducted on extremely wide and stubborn highland ponies - that would sort out the men fom the boys. Riders should be attired in full dress kilts for the exams also! (especially the men).

I'm sending in my application to be an examiner now!:D

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don't think they should have to ride real horses that might be unpredictable this has real health and safety implications - Surely it would be fairer if they should be judged on a rocking horse, one of those mechanical ones that tittle tattles about how unbalanced you are, a hobby horse and lastly but not least one of those model horses you find in a shop showing off the latest in rug fashion :D

For the stable management bit they would need to turn out Barbies horse to perfection including matching pink stable bandages :)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Sussexbythesea - I don't think you are taking this seriously. The fibreglass or 'model' horses you are suggesting tend to shed glass fibres into the bottoms of potential riders, and the fingers of would be bandagers.
Yes, I do speak from bitter experience.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Well of course the way forward is for people to pay their money (or if they are short of money, have the fees payed for them, following means testing) and then be given their certificate. This is only fair and equtable. Old horsemen and women should of course be humanely euthenised as they are obviously of 0 use to noon (see Down With Skool) What about using a mechanical horse, if exams must be taken. :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
That must be what happened to the one in my local tack shop it looks a bit wonky and has a leg missing - probably been used for the - Looking at the evidence what ailment do you think this horse is suffering from? section of the test :D Apparently 9 out of 10 candidates missed the obvious and thought it was colic! :D

NeilM

Visit site
In addition to self certification, I suggest that the BHS adopt a similar approach to that taken by the construction industry. By attending a series of 20 to 30 minute lectures given by product manufacturers, you are able to increase your areas of expertise. At the end of each lecture a certificate is issued by the company who have given it. Therefore, by attending a lecture by a feed manufacturer, you become a certificated horse nutritionist. Similar lectures could be offered by tack manufacturers, feed supplement manufacturers etc.

This would surely allow the dedicated instructor to become a formidable expert in all areas of riding, horse care and veterinary matters. Can you imagine how useful it would be for every yard to have someone like this available?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site

Only if it's square, which won't be easy given those pesky hillocks :(

Sounds far harder to me, maybe we should reconsider our move to Scotland :cool:

Chavhorse

Visit site
Also need to include a section on living in a leaky mobile home and surviving on a diet of noodles and stockcubes whilst spending a £10 a week allowance on rum and black, mobile home will also be used as a temporary tack and rug drying room and on occasion kennel.

Will need to learn skills in mucking out 20 horses before 8am, cleaning shed loads of tack (cold water only) and sweeping of yards to military standards.

Teaching section to include the following; one 8 year old child that thinks it is Ellen Whittaker, one 10 year old child who is terrified of horses but whose Mother thinks it is character building to learn to ride (Pony used for this section will be one with no brakes and big buck in it), one adult female who screeches on upward transitions and one adult male who thinks he is gods gift in a pair of overly tight Lycra breeches.

Second part of this test will be to take all of the above out together on a hack and attempt to bring them all back in one piece.

Final section will be dealing with YO's and skills for handling the following, the touchy feely older male YO this will be a test of your avoidance skills, the Menopausal older female YO, this will be a test of your diplomatic skills and finally the Alcoholic YO of either sex this will be a test of your ability to run the show single handed.

As I remember this was an integral part of my working Pupil ship and I don't see why todays youth should be treated in a namby pamby way!

guido16

Visit site
Mrs M - dont worry, I have taken on the Role of Queen of Scots, dont listen the Shils, none of them have any say on the running of my great country.

I will be issuing certificates out on a set criteria. I havent finely tuned it just yet but it will be based on how many cobs and welshies folks have.

None of the above - Guru certificate in all equine matters
Far to many cobs etc - you will receive a certificate / one way ticket back over hadrians wall

Should be quite simple although donations of wine may help

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mrs M - dont worry, I have taken on the Role of Queen of Scots, dont listen the Shils, none of them have any say on the running of my great country.

I will be issuing certificates out on a set criteria. I havent finely tuned it just yet but it will be based on how many cobs and welshies folks have.

Far to many cobs etc - you will receive a certificate / one way ticket back over hadrians wall

Hm. We have one cob, but lighweight and very nimble on his feet (more so now he's retired - at seven. Ho hum). Is it balanced out by the Dutch Dumblood? Very big and flashy DDB at that :cool:

*trots off to investigate contents of cellar and see what can be packed up and sent Norfff*

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
That reminds me - of course under my proposed system, perverts who apply would be screened through CRB checks.

I have two Extended CRB checks, Shils - which one is more valid? The one from a hospital, or the one from the Royal Agricultural Society?

CHOOSE!

If I bake you a very nice cake, can I pretty pretty pretty please have my FBHS?

I'm Scottish too ya know.......

*runs back to the RS and hides all the cobs in the barn*

ETA: OOH! Is the Cob Quotient balanced out by Shetlands, because they are from your native lands? The RS also has a lovely, err, plump highland with the most fabulous mane...

reindeerlover

Visit site
Frankly, this thread is a bunch of arse. The main criteria around here for BHSAI folks is the ability to criticise and the ability to put jump poles up when they "fall" down. What more do you need? Oh and some I have seen are surely too fat to be able to get on a real live horse in any case so riding is obviously not in the exams, I don't know what everyone is moaning about! I'm pretty sure they source the folk straight from the factory.

guido16

Visit site
Mrs M - Your DWB will balance the cob out, and if it isnt to hairy, we might beable to get some form of waver certificate for it.
A nice bottle of pink bubbly should help....

Thelwell girl, if you are scottish you will automatically become an equine guru, as for the hairy satan (shetland), put it in the barn with the cobs and lock the door.....

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mrs M - Your DWB will balance the cob out, and if it isnt to hairy, we might beable to get some form of waver certificate for it.
A nice bottle of pink bubbly should help....

Thank you so grovellingly your Royal Highlandness :D

*runs off to shove the Welsh cross in the pantry and root for a bottle of bubbly and some food colouring*

Old Bat

Visit site
Sticks head above parapet and utters two words....."Ian Stark"......right, I'm off to practice on my rocking horse now, nice big wooden splinters, none of your common fibreglass stuff!

guido16

Visit site
Farrierlover - you have a good point. What the hell has riding got to do with being an AI. I think its more based on your superiority complex.

forderough - I once had a pea fight with Ian Stark. Shame really as I like peas and they all ended up on the floor..