BHS Gold Membership and Insurance?

dressage_diva

Visit site
Does anyone know if the public liability insurance that comes as part of the British horse society gold membership would cover my horse if it was ridden by someone else whilst on sales livery?

I am sending my horse away to be sold and the livery yard have requested that I have liability insurance incase anyone trying him as part of the sale has an accident.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I thought it covered anyone riding your horse with your permission. I think you had better ring up the BHS or look in the Year Book and find out to be sure one way or the other.

Kat

Visit site
It covers other people riding with your permission as long as not for hire or reward. So normally it would cover someone trying a horse to buy but not someone schooling your horse for payment.

Sales livery is a commercial agreement so most standard policies will exclude it.

It would make me slightly nervous about the livery place that they asked this. They should have public liability for their commercial activities and I would ask for a copy of their insurance to satisfy yourself.

Equi

Visit site
Public liability maybe but not Gold membership as far as im aware? Its policy holder only. Hence why you give no details about your horse. If it was that simple and cheap everyone would have it..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It covers other people riding with your permission as long as not for hire or reward. So normally it would cover someone trying a horse to buy but not someone schooling your horse for payment.

Sales livery is a commercial agreement so most standard policies will exclude it.

It would make me slightly nervous about the livery place that they asked this. They should have public liability for their commercial activities and I would ask for a copy of their insurance to satisfy yourself.

This ^ but only covering third parties when you are selling at home as a private individual. Not riders.
If horse is at a dealer or commercial yard, then the operators would have their own business policy. If they can't show you a copy, then don't send your horse on a sales livery.

Kat

Visit site
Sorry, to clarify you will have third party cover while someone else is riding with permission. The rider won't necessarily have any cover, but you and your horse will.

Shay

Visit site
Obviously check your cover - but a rider whilst on sales livery should be covered by their own insurance. If you mean the trial rider - they would be covered by the dealer's insurance.