BHS Gold membership ... public liability ins

Nickijem

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with making a claim through the BHS? Good or bad?
I am currently trying to claim as my horse escaped from his field and got into a neighbours garden last month. As it was so wet, my horse totally trashed the beautiful 'bowling green' lawn! The owner of the garden is now sueing me for the damage.
I hoped my public liability insurance through my gold membership would be able to help sort this out but so far they have been anything but helpful.
So can anyone reassure me or
otherwise?!
Thanks

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Take care with thinking that BHS Gold membership gives you insurance to cover everything. As with most insurance policies (read the very fine print) if you have ANY OTHER insurance that might cover your loss you will be expected to use this first. BHS insurance only kicks in if you have absolutely no other options. And you may think you have no other cover but it is usually tucked into house insurance and possibly your car insurance too. And -shock horror - the neighbours' insurers may also pursue your YO's insurers. If you're still living at home, there may be a claim on your parents! Your neighbours' insurers will track down any and every possibility to claim for THEIR loss and it's only at the very end of the line that BHS will cover you! Of course they do provide help with horsey legal stuff but assuming that the insurance cover that goes with Gold membership covers you for everything is dangerous!

Beausmate

Visit site
I've made a claim through the BHS. I had no other insurance, there is a bit on the form they sent where they ask if you are insured with anyone else.

Not the best experience, lots of chasing up and some nasty, threatening letters from the other party's insurer's accident management company. I ended up getting legal advice about the insurance and what they were supposed to be doing, as I shouldn't have been receiving anything from the other insurers. Despite several requests to keep me informed as to progress, they haven't contacted me. It was very stressful having someone send you a court summons for something that should have been dealt with by insurance!!

I'm hoping it's all been dealt with, but I'm not completely sure.

Insurance companies will do all they can to avoid paying out, so they do tend to drag on a bit-keep pushing them and keep records of who you spoke to and when and what about!

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks for your replies! I have been on the phone today again to my insurers and I did speak to someone who was much more helpful. He did explain more about the process of a liability claim and he did promise to get things moving today.
Thanks for the tip about keeping a record of who i spoke to and when. I shall go and write down what i have done so far!