BHS gold membership

Elliewob

Visit site
I was just wondering what people's experience was with the BHS gold membership and would they recommend it. I work at a riding school meaning that I get to ride any of the horses in the riding school, plus I hack out with someone who has the gold membership and road safety award. Also what are benefits or extras that could with it. Thank you in advance.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Various benefits, but the one I've used was their free legal helpline when I got two very good long phone calls with a legal eagle when needed.

Shay

Visit site
Well worth it - for the 3rd party liability and legal helpline if nothing else. But also you have to be a gold member to access the training. At the very least do take the Riding and Road Safety!

HorseMad91

Visit site
I needed 3rd party insurance when I moved yards and bhs gold is definitely worth the cost just for the insurance and you get to find out all the things happening in your area

Nickijem

Visit site
I cancelled my membership because of the trouble I had when I needed to make a claim on the insurance. As far as I understood, I was covered for third party liability, however when my horse got spooked and ran through his electric fence, he got into a neighbour's garden and trashed it!
I tried to claim on the insurance but they were very difficult to deal with. I was passed from pillar to post and fobbed off with 'he's not at his desk right now'. It took nearly a year to sort out by which time the neighbours had well and truly fallen out with me!

Cocorules

Visit site
I needed 3rd party insurance when I moved yards and bhs gold is definitely worth the cost just for the insurance and you get to find out all the things happening in your area

The 3rd party insurance is the reason I am a gold member. I think it does include a small amount of personal accident insurance but the payout would be tiny for a life changing accident so you would want top up cover for that.

FFAQ

Visit site
Elliewob, I'm glad you started this thread as I have also been toying with the idea of BHS gold membership. Apparently WHW also do a gold membership that includes rider insurance, so may plump for that instead...

Dry Rot

Visit site
I too cancelled when I found I was already covered. A couple of times when I tried to use the help line, I couldn't get through, so useless and annoying.

Elliewob

Visit site
I cancelled my membership because of the trouble I had when I needed to make a claim on the insurance. As far as I understood, I was covered for third party liability, however when my horse got spooked and ran through his electric fence, he got into a neighbour's garden and trashed it!
I tried to claim on the insurance but they were very difficult to deal with. I was passed from pillar to post and fobbed off with 'he's not at his desk right now'. It took nearly a year to sort out by which time the neighbours had well and truly fallen out with me!

Aww I'm sorry to hear about that, I can imagine they were quite stressed out, fortunately I don't have to worry about that so much as I don't own or lone any of the horses, its more just in case something happened while out ride. Generally the horses are never a problem and it takes a lot to distress them, but we had a bit of a scare with a loud dog with no owner insight, so knowing my luck I'm asking for something bad to happen sooner or later without any insurance.

Elliewob

Visit site
Elliewob, I'm glad you started this thread as I have also been toying with the idea of BHS gold membership. Apparently WHW also do a gold membership that includes rider insurance, so may plump for that instead...

Aww thank you I would never would have thought of them plus they seem a bit cheaper, do you know anyone that has used them. I'm not really in any rush to get insured but you can guarantee something will happen if I don't.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It isn't just that you get insurance cover with the BHS - it is the rider's only national spokesman. The only charity representing riders and horse's interests in the country apart from racing. It is a consultee for bridlepath matters, government rural issues, and locally the country BHS bridlepath officer gets to hear of anything concerning bridlepaths - planning, diversions, temporary closures, etc. etc. people blocking, accidents. The BHS also has a welfare network with local experienced horse people to give advice and if necessary contact the relevant authorities in cases of neglect. The BHS also keeps the register of instructors and has the exam system.

The more members the BHS has the better it is able to represent horse owners and riders.

Elliewob

Visit site
It isn't just that you get insurance cover with the BHS - it is the rider's only national spokesman. The only charity representing riders and horse's interests in the country apart from racing. It is a consultee for bridlepath matters, government rural issues, and locally the country BHS bridlepath officer gets to hear of anything concerning bridlepaths - planning, diversions, temporary closures, etc. etc. people blocking, accidents. The BHS also has a welfare network with local experienced horse people to give advice and if necessary contact the relevant authorities in cases of neglect. The BHS also keeps the register of instructors and has the exam system.

The more members the BHS has the better it is able to represent horse owners and riders.

Thank you Orangehorse do you know if those were the extras they were on about on their website

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
Hi, everyone

Thanks all for your feedback and it’s great to hear of so many positive experiences with the BHS and the insurances kindly provided by SEIB as a Gold member benefit.

We’re sorry to those who apparently haven’t had such a good experience – they do sound particularly unusual and we’re just as keen to get your feedback to see if there’s something we can improve on. We’d welcome the chance to have a chat about it so if you feel able, please do get in touch with Emma Day, Director of Membership, on 02476 840454 or emma.day@bhs.org.uk.

Elliewob – the information about what we do is on the website but they're not the only membership benefits - there are free event tickets, a tax/legal/VAT helpline, our members' magazine and more still :) It’s what makes us the only UK equine charity to work across everything that affects you and your horses – including access and rights of way, safety, welfare and education, plus everything in between. There are dedicated and trained Access, Safety and Welfare Officers available across the country; take a look at committee lists at www.bhs.org.uk/bhs-in-your-area to find yours if you’re ever in need of local help. If you’ve got any questions about anything we’re doing, just drop us a line here or on Facebook or Twitter, or see www.bhs.org.uk/contact-us for how to get in touch with the relevant team.

Elliewob

Visit site
G
Hi, everyone

Thanks all for your feedback and it’s great to hear of so many positive experiences with the BHS and the insurances kindly provided by SEIB as a Gold member benefit.

We’re sorry to those who apparently haven’t had such a good experience – they do sound particularly unusual and we’re just as keen to get your feedback to see if there’s something we can improve on. We’d welcome the chance to have a chat about it so if you feel able, please do get in touch with Emma Day, Director of Membership, on 02476 840454 or emma.day@bhs.org.uk.

Elliewob – the information about what we do is on the website but they're not the only membership benefits - there are free event tickets, a tax/legal/VAT helpline, our members' magazine and more still :) It’s what makes us the only UK equine charity to work across everything that affects you and your horses – including access and rights of way, safety, welfare and education, plus everything in between. There are dedicated and trained Access, Safety and Welfare Officers available across the country; take a look at committee lists at www.bhs.org.uk/bhs-in-your-area to find yours if you’re ever in need of local help. If you’ve got any questions about anything we’re doing, just drop us a line here or on Facebook or Twitter, or see www.bhs.org.uk/contact-us for how to get in touch with the relevant team.

Thank you BHS I was wondering if you have changed your terms on your insurance policy, as I was told that if you you were to ride somebody's else horse who had the gold membership with their permission then you would still be insured. However, when I was looking in to it I saw that it only insured the named rider.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
G

Thank you BHS I was wondering if you have changed your terms on your insurance policy, as I was told that if you you were to ride somebody's else horse who had the gold membership with their permission then you would still be insured. However, when I was looking in to it I saw that it only insured the named rider.

No problem :) As long as no money is changing hands for profit, being a Gold member means you're covered to ride your own horse or someone else's with their permission.

The Key Facts and full T&Cs are at www.bhs.org.uk/membership, or if you'd prefer to talk through any individual situation first, we're happy to help - drop the team a line at membership@bhs.org.uk or call 02476 840506.

Elliewob

Visit site
No problem :) As long as no money is changing hands for profit, being a Gold member means you're covered to ride your own horse or someone else's with their permission.

The Key Facts and full T&Cs are at www.bhs.org.uk/membership, or if you'd prefer to talk through any individual situation first, we're happy to help - drop the team a line at membership@bhs.org.uk or call 02476 840506.

Thanks again at the moment I ride out with a gold member with her and her horses but it's not a lone just a favour so I would be insured for that. Plus I am staff at a riding school and I can take out any of pony on a hack after the lessons have finished which I don't have to pay for, if I got the gold membership would I be insured for that

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your employer should have insurance which covers you to ride any of their horses with their permission at any time.

I am a BHS Gold member, mainly for the 3rd party insurance, I must admit.

Elliewob

Visit site
Your employer should have insurance which covers you to ride any of their horses with their permission at any time.

I am a BHS Gold member, mainly for the 3rd party insurance, I must admit.
Thank you we are insured in the school and on a customer hacks but not on hacks after the riding school is closed to the students due to not having anybody with the required qualifications with us