BHS Gold Membership

Hack4fun

Visit site
I am not a member but my recollection is that it was £60. Looking at their website it is £75 now. That seems a big increase. Is my memory faulty?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think it is now £75. I was looking recently at their website to join for public liability insurance - at the moment, it's a toss up between the BHS and Harry Hall One club.

I'd like to support the BHS but it's over double the cost of One Club and not sure what else I'd get out of membership.

Last edited:

popcorn1

Visit site
I have only recently paid mine at £75.

I must admit, it's tempting to change to One club next year for the discounted products.

Violet

Visit site
"not sure what else I'd get out of membership."

You get an organisation who for example work towards enhancing and maintaining the UK’s equestrian access network. I would have thought that would be useful unless you only ride in a manage at your stable.

TPO

Visit site
I went with Harry Hall One Club when it launched instead of BHS. Thankfully never needed their insurance but the discount on their expanding range of brands and products is a definite bonus.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
"not sure what else I'd get out of membership."

You get an organisation who for example work towards enhancing and maintaining the UK’s equestrian access network. I would have thought that would be useful unless you only ride in a manage at your stable.

Perhaps I worded that badly. I'm aware of what else they do - particularly their access work, which is obviously very admirable but I'm not sure the additional (seemingly rising) cost of the membership will be of any added value to me over cheaper alternatives.

I'm already a member of our local bridleway group and an off road riding group that works on improving the visibility and safety of the local horse riders and works with local authorities to maintain and improve access to safe riding (quite possibly alongside the BHS).

I'm not a professional in the equine industry, I have no need or desire to be part of the BHS exams. I don't compete in Riding Club activities so I don't need BHS membership for that reason and I've not paid to attend for years the big show they advertise with free tickets. All of which seemed to be their main USP from their website.

I have no problem with paying £75 a year if it is value for money and worth it for me. There is a part of me that would like to support the national body of my sport/hobby. But, from a non-member perspective there seemed to be a lot of contraversy with the management and direction of BHS last year.

On the face of it there may not be a lot of benefit for a pleasure rider like me with no professional or competitive aspirations particularly when my sole purpose for joining is PL insurance, when there are cheaper alternatives available.

I've not yet got around to comparing the cover other than a quick glance at policy level (which to be fair, the BHS does have a higher PL limit) so that might ultimately sway things.

Roxylola

Visit site
I think it is now £75. I was looking recently at their website to join for public liability insurance - at the moment, it's a toss up between the BHS and Harry Hall One club.

I'd like to support the BHS but it's over double the cost of One Club and not sure what else I'd get out of membership.
If its primarily public liability you want, I'm with world horse welfare - £52 a year and after the recent issues with the BHS I would rather my money went elsewhere

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If its primarily public liability you want, I'm with world horse welfare - £52 a year and after the recent issues with the BHS I would rather my money went elsewhere

That's helpful, thank you :) I didn't realise the WHW offered PL insurance so will look into it & would love to support a charity at the same time!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I’ve been in Harry Hall One Club since it’s inception. It is very, very good value for money. I no longer live in the UK so can’t take advantage of the public liability or equine insurances but I still buy the products. I ordered last Monday evening and it arrived on Thursday morning.

Reactions: TPO

neddy man

Visit site
BHS is £70 if paid by direct debit £75 if paid in 1 payment on debit card down to £64 each if another family member joins and a 3rd family member gets membership for £45 ( £58 ish each ) seems good coverage with payout figures compared to some of the others + the legal help is also available.

Last edited:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The British Horse Society and it's volunteers do a lot of good and positive work including Access (Bridleways), Welfare, Road Safety, Education and putting the issue that Equestrians have to central and local government. It is the only organisation that represents the interests of equestrians in the U.K. and by being a member you are assisting in the aims of the British Horse Society. I hope that those are not members will join as the larger the membership the BHS have the greater their credibility when talking to government and local authorities.

honetpot

Visit site
The British Horse Society and it's volunteers do a lot of good and positive work including Access (Bridleways), Welfare, Road Safety, Education and putting the issue that Equestrians have to central and local government. It is the only organisation that represents the interests of equestrians in the U.K. and by being a member you are assisting in the aims of the British Horse Society. I hope that those are not members will join as the larger the membership the BHS have the greater their credibility when talking to government and local authorities.
A lot of the grassroots members, by which I mean people who do not earn a living from horses, and have no interest in exams but have supported them because they were supporting them to improve horse welfare, have stopped paying their subs, mine after nearly 40 years, because it seems to become all about supporting ACP's and their career and I have found the treatment of their volunteers, who often have to handle difficult situations appalling.
There are now a few places where you can get third party insurance, I have it through my small holders insurance, but apart from WHW, and Harry Hall, the NPS cover you for 3rd Party.
https://www.nationalponysociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Shearwater-Members-NPS-Leaflet.pdf

honetpot

Visit site
There is a lot of good work being done by the BHS volunteers from which all horse riders benefit and without a strong national body representing equestrians this would not be possible or sustainable.
I dispute they are a strong national body, there a whole chunks of equine welfare they are not interested in, and the information provided for free on horse welfare is virtually non existent, unlike the Blue Cross, WHW and even the Donkey Sanctuary which provide downloadable information sheets for free.
The web site, when I last looked at it, I stopped looking as it made me so angry, as obviously had a lot of money spent on its design for the ACP's and career exam system, I looked at who they had paid to rebadge their qualifications. When you compare the look of the welfare pages, there is very little content, presented in an out of date style. You would think that a charity that wants to promote horse welfare would be providing information on horse care for free on the internet.

Pedantic

Visit site
Last time someone I knew contacted them re public liability, as the horse had bit someone, a neighbor of mine as it happened, they palmed her off to try and use her house insurance or any other insurance, anything but them.

Hack4fun

Visit site
Last time someone I knew contacted them re public liability, as the horse had bit someone, a neighbor of mine as it happened, they palmed her off to try and use her house insurance or any other insurance, anything but them.
It is an insurance of last resort. In other words it will pay out only what is not covered by other policies. The response from BHS was in line with the terms of the policy.

Spotherisk

Visit site
After reading this thread I checked with my house/land insurers whether my horses were covered for public liability and they are! BHS Gold insurance cancelled today, £75 is about the cost of two trims, it does all help at the moment. Caveat was not covered for eventing or business... one is retired, the other is the companion.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It is an insurance of last resort. In other words it will pay out only what is not covered by other policies. The response from BHS was in line with the terms of the policy.

So, stupid insurance question. Is this generally true of all Public Liability insurance (for example, as provided by Harry Hall One Club or WHW) or is that more specific to the BHS cover?

I might need to do some more investigating! Could I literally contact each provider and ask them if they are an insurance of last resort? I might need to involve MrMM forguidance in what PL cover we have elsewhere.

C'or, insurance makes my head hurt :D

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There is a lot of good work being done by the BHS volunteers from which all horse riders benefit and without a strong national body representing equestrians this would not be possible or sustainable.
Those volunteers are not valued and are treated very poorly by the BHS. Their work is not sexy enough for the big shots.

honetpot

Visit site
There should be information available in what they provide you that explains that. i.e
''This is policy of last resort, that is to say that if at the time of any claim under this insurance there is any other valid and collectible insurance available to the insured or any other insured party, other than insurance that is specifically stated to be in excess of this policy and the names the Insured for the insurance, then the insurance by this policy will be in excess of and will not contribute with such other insurance.''

Widgeon

Visit site
Just got my renewal through and it's up to £84 per year. I've always felt I like being a BHS member because of their access work (and hacking is my thing) but really, £84? Particularly given how much food and fuel are costing now. I'm going to trawl this thread for some other ideas re. public liability :-(

(Also they have ditched cover for endurance, which worries me as that's what I'd like to work up to next year. And when I tried to use their legal helpline a couple of years ago they were sadly pretty useless)

onemoretime

Visit site

I just added PL to my horse insurance, it was only another £13.