BHS livery yard approval scheme - quick question....

Marnie

Visit site
Does anyone know if to get BHS approval for a livery yard - do all horses have to be vaccinated for flu and tetanus?

Thanks!

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
I know that there is meant to be a health policy in place covering these types of things, that doesnt mean to say however that the policy states that they have to be vaccinated? i imagine the BHS would love it if it was enforced but not sure they would insist on it? I know a lot dont vaccinate for both. A vet recently told an owner of a veteran horse not to bother vacinating for flu as the mare never goes anywhere.....
TBH, i think the only way you will know a definate answer is to call them, i would love to know the answer myself!

Marnie

Visit site
I'll give them a call tomorrow if I get a moment - my mare is on loan and the yard she has just gone to is being inspected this week. She is vaccinated for tetanus but not flu and the loanee wants me to get her done for flu and has said that she needs to be for the inspection, so am just trying to find out what the regs are!

glitterfuzz

Visit site
Our yard is approved, the BHS come and inspect but they dont check the horses passports/vaccination records although we do have to make sure they are all done

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
My yard is approved and while they check that all the horses on my yard have passports they take a look at the photocopies I keep of all my liveries, but they do not insist on vaccinations - however as a yard owner I will not take on any liveries that are not vaccinated for both tetanus and flu as I want to minimise the disease within my yard and I have a stated policy of this with the BHS so it may be that they accept that as my proof. I would talk to the yard owner and find out what their policy is rather than wanting to find proof as to why not to do it. If the yard is insisting on it then perhaps you should just get it done.

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks for that - I was just looking for a timing really, quite happy to get her done, just wanted to know if it was needed by the inspection on Tuesday!