BHS Meeting Update

PAK

Visit site
I propose that we use this space to provide information about yesterday's BHS meeting to vote on constitutional changes and "next steps". Some comments have already been made in related threads (Another BHS ****up, BHS BS, Transform BHS etc) . More to follow

PAK

Visit site
Summary - still to be confirmed & more to follow

1. A call for an EGM - vote of no confidence in the Chairman and Board - was made using the current procedure of submitting a petition of 12 members' signatures.

2. By vote (60/40), the meeting was adjourned. The planned vote regarding changes to constitution was not taken.

PAK

Visit site
A very big thank you to all those who took the time to attend yesterday's meeting in person.

At what point would you expect the official minutes of the meeting to be published? Who needs to sign them off as accurate? Do the members who were at the meeting get a say in signing them off?

PAK

Visit site
Well Said. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO WENT TO THE MEETING. I DO MEAN ALL!

I have written to Mr Snook who was the meeting organiser to ask for a statement of the meeting process and outcome. I suggest all interested do the same. I think the questions about accuracy & signing off are excellent ones. Ask the questions.

honetpot

Visit site
The AGM part of the meeting in my mind was no like any AGM I have ever attended.
There was no Agenda, no accounts to read, no Treasurers report, or Treasurer present to ask questions of. It was just a QA with various people fielding question.
I am not sure but the chap that was videoing the meeting may have left early, and I am not sure how accurate the minutes will be due to lack of names, time and the amount of people who wanted to speak

There were so many things covered in the meeting, it hard to take it all in. I feel that I am hijacking this thread a bit but its so important, I feel.

One of the points raised was the lack of ability for local reps to contact members, and that all communication had to go the Regional Office. The reasoning for this was compliance with GDPR, and lack of secure computers do hold email addresses at local level. Although on the face of it this sounds plausible, they spent £1.4m pounds on IT last year, and I was assured the computer system was now working well, it seems a strange reason.
Having spent that amount of money on IT I can not believe that they can not set up a system where you can opt in and out of various email alerts for various interests and groups, such as Google io https://groups.io/,
Head office have the ability to communicate with members, where as we do not.

On this thought I was thinking of setting up a BHS members resource group, as at the moment our information is poorly disseminated, and BHS management for various reasons is unlikely for to want use to disseminate information with the membership list they have.
I do only have basic social media skills, so would anyone be interested in this project or have any other suggestions.

honetpot

Visit site
Well Said. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO WENT TO THE MEETING. I DO MEAN ALL!

I have written to Mr Snook who was the meeting organiser to ask for a statement of the meeting process and outcome. I suggest all interested do the same. I think the questions about accuracy & signing off are excellent ones. Ask the questions.
The AGM part of the meeting in my mind was no like any AGM I have ever attended.
There was no Agenda, no accounts to read, no Treasurers report, or Treasurer present to ask questions of. It was just a QA with various people fielding question.
I am not sure but the chap that was videoing the meeting may have left early, and I am not sure how accurate the minutes will be due to lack of names, time and the amount of people who wanted to speak

There were so many things covered in the meeting, it hard to take it all in. I feel that I am hijacking this thread a bit but its so important, I feel.

One of the points raised was the lack of ability for local reps to contact members, and that all communication had to go the Regional Office. The reasoning for this was compliance with GDPR, and lack of secure computers do hold email addresses at local level. Although on the face of it this sounds plausible, they spent £1.4m pounds on IT last year, and I was assured the computer system was now working well, it seems a strange reason.
Having spent that amount of money on IT I can not believe that they can not set up a system where you can opt in and out of various email alerts for various interests and groups, such as Google io https://groups.io/,

On this thought I was thinking of setting up a BHS members resource group, as at the moment our information is poorly disseminated, and BHS management for various reasons is unlikely for to want use to disseminate information with the membership list they have.
I do only have basic social media skills, so would anyone be interested in this project or have any other suggestions.

One of the comments from the floor was the lack of members that attended meetings, the thought that you have to inform members seems not to be a thing they have thought much about so please how ever small amount of time you have please spread the word. We are interested and we want to know how the Society is being run and our money spent,

PAK

Visit site

Does anyone know who was doing the filming?

NatashaE

New User
Visit site
Whilst I wasn't brave enough to say anything in the meeting, I was in admiration of those that did speak. To reiterate PAK, thank you to everyone who attended. I know there were many who couldn't make it but I'd like to say we are very grateful for your support too.

I wrote notes throughout the meeting so if anyone needs these let me know.

honetpot

Visit site
Whilst I wasn't brave enough to say anything in the meeting, I was in admiration of those that did speak. To reiterate PAK, thank you to everyone who attended. I know there were many who couldn't make it but I'd like to say we are very grateful for your support too.

Oh yes please.
I am dyslexic and my note taking skills are rubbish so I have to do it from memory. I was one of those asking questions, and some of the answers especially how the membership is calculated lead to more questions.

PAK

Visit site

Good that you went. That in and of itself, was brave. I would very much appreciate a copy of your notes. You can send them via messaging on this site. Thank you.

honetpot

Visit site
Hot off the press, well scanner. The Strategic Plan 2019-2024. We are taking over the world.
Its not on the website, gosh I feel like I am doing the BHS's job of communicating with its members.
Now whether you agree with it or not, it would have been nice to be consulted.
It leave more questions than it answers, again.
These are just edited high lights. I have had to scan each page individually, its something we can put on the FB page until the BHS put up the pdf booklet.
Ooh I forgot the core values.
H Horses first
O One team,( well not really)
R Respect, (can we have some)
S Supportive, (it works both ways)
Excellence , (hard to achieve if you are not working as a team, in a supportive environment)
For anyone reading this who spent months working on it, I am sorry, but you should have asked

Attachments

• BHS strategic Plan 2019-2024 4.pdf
    306.9 KB · Views: 37
  • BHS strategic Plan 2019-2024 9.pdf
    247.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BHS strategic Plan 2019-2024 5.pdf
    440.8 KB · Views: 20
  • BHS strategic Plan 2019-2024 8.pdf
    521.9 KB · Views: 17

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

I am in the process of setting up a British Horse Society Members' Group on Facebook for exactly that purpose. I have the necessary IT skills - but not so good on design. Is there anyone who would like to create a banner for the top of the Group page?

PAK

Visit site
Hot off the press, well scanner. The Strategic Plan 2019-2024. We are taking over the world.
Its not on the website, gosh I feel like I am doing the BHS's job of communicating with its members.
Now whether you agree with it or not, it would have been nice to be consulted.
It leave more questions than it answers, again.
These are just edited high lights. I have had to scan each page individually, its something we can put on the FB page until the BHS put up the pdf booklet.
Ooh I forgot the core values.
H Horses first
O One team,( well not really)
R Respect, (can we have some)
S Supportive, (it works both ways)
Excellence , (hard to achieve if you are not working as a team, in a supportive environment)
For anyone reading this who spent months working on it, I am sorry, but you should have asked
So a new Strategic Plan - so much for involving the membership. Thank you for all of your work to scan this in and post. What FB page are you referring to?

PAK

Visit site
So a new Strategic Plan - so much for involving the membership. Thank you for all of your work to scan this in and post. What FB page are you referring to?
OK - now I see - you are creating one! Excellent idea!

Velcrobum

Visit site
Good that you went. That in and of itself, was brave. I would very much appreciate a copy of your notes. You can send them via messaging on this site. Thank you.
Could you send them to me as well please. I took some notes but it would be good to cross reference + fill in gaps. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PAK

PAK

Visit site
I am in the process of setting up a British Horse Society Members' Group on Facebook for exactly that purpose. I have the necessary IT skills - but not so good on design. Is there anyone who would like to create a banner for the top of the Group page?
Do you mean a file - i.e. create something using powerpoint

Chica

Visit site
Fantastic I would like to join . The more I think about the meeting the more annoyed I 'am that I did not say more . They gave a lot of poor/ inappropriate answers to questions but I felt unable to come back at them on the spore of the moment . This added to the poor organisation it was all quite remarkable really .I will not share all my thoughts here as I know LP and backers are following this thread . If there is an EGM I will be more prepared .

honetpot

Visit site
you could add a word? I had two days worth to shovel when I got back.

There was one huge omission at the meeting, the missing last seen, I think in action in Scotland. The big red lorry. You would think they would have wanted to show it off and tell us how useful and what good value it was.

Last edited:

GHamlet75

Visit site
You might be interested to know that out of the 101 votes that were carried out in person at the AGM, over 30 votes came from BHS staff and trustees. According to the Chief Operating Officer there is no conflict of interest.
Well done for winning an adjournment BHS members!