BHS on One Show

case895

Visit site
They have for 7 new bridle paths across a farmer's land. The farmer only found out when he saw the council notices. It costs BHS nothing but the farmer has to pay to stop them. The BHS man came across as arrogant and little better than a traveller. For the first time, I was ashamed to be a BHS member.

trendybraincell

Visit site
Neither came across very well I thought, but I can understand why the farmer was so upset! However it seems there was lack of understanding from both parties, its a shame as this is clearly a topic dear to lots of peoples hearts, I would have thought a bit of communication would go a long way.

I'm very surprised the BHS don't contact landowners!!

wiltshireguy

Visit site
Landowners need to understand that if rights of way cross their land people will want to use them, even if they are not aware that such rights exist.

I think the programme was balanced and fair. The video filmed in Marlene Masters' farm was my own footage. I would have liked them to have asked Mrs Masters to clarify if she has a criminal conviction for assaulting a horse rider using the byway on her farm by pulling her from her horse.

Clodagh

Visit site
I didn't see it and don't understand OP's post - were the bridleways already there but unused? Surely the BHS can't just turn up and make new ones?

diamonddogs

Visit site
Being devil's advocate for a moment here, I understood that if a route was used for a certain period of time (20 years IIRC) it then became a public right of way. If this is right, then it ought to work both ways, ie if a route hasn't been used for X years then it reverts back to private land?

That said, I saw the item, and thought that neither of them came across well. The farmer seemed to have the BHS man tied up in knots, but he also appeared to be an arrogant bully at the same time. I've seen the BHS man before and he always seemed very articulate and erudite, so I don't know what happened here.

However, as my OH keeps telling me, selective editing can alter the context of a report beyond recognition!

diamonddogs

Visit site
I didn't see it and don't understand OP's post - were the bridleways already there but unused?

You've got it!

Surely the BHS can't just turn up and make new ones?

They're not - it's been a low-key campaign for a while. They're trying to resurrect old rights of way, some of them haven't been used for 100 years but I can see how it could look like that.

:)

dianeholmes

Visit site
This isn't just the BHS - there is an act that says if rights of way are not claimed and put on the definitive map by 2026 then they will be lost. There is activity all round the country to get these old rights of way documented and established on the definitive map. I am involved in some work locally - you can tell from the landscape sometimes that a road once existed and if you can find evidence on old maps an application can be made, though I have to say it is our usual practice to at least inform landowners!