BHS Stage 1 Tuesday!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Eeek! Just getting a bit scared now :eek: Happy about the riding part, just worried I'm going to forget to do something the BHS way, removing buckets when skipping out etc. I'm sure I'll be covered with shame if I fail, any tips, or anyone done it recently or about to do it?

Taking mine at Oaklands in Herts so have an hour's drive to get there to give me plenty of time to get nervous!

texel

Visit site
I was just as nervous when I took my exams (many years ago now) but once I got stuck into the exam my nerves floated away :)

Make sure you eat well and take a flask of your favourite drink.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ruth83

Visit site
Just be safe. The examiners are generally very encouraging and understand it may well be your first exam of this kind, they will give you a little helping hand - within reason - if you are struggling.

Don't feel that you have to talk immediately as the examiner answers a question, take a deep breath, think about the answer and give it. With practical tasks ask yourself, is this the safest way to do something with a horse I know nothing about?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone! It's a bit hair-raising at the moment because of the stupid weather, not been sure whether it'll be cancelled. They're saying the college will be open tomorrow :) It's just all the little safety points I'm worried about, not walking behind the horses etc. Going to really have to think hard about everything!

superpony

Visit site
Good luck! As everyone says take your time and just think. Also if you do make a mistake.. correct yourself and point it out to the examiner so they know you knew you did it wrong. For example I walked to close behind my horse when I was doing his rug.. I knew what I had done straight away.. so said I walked too close and I shouldn't have done that etc. They will notice so its better to correct yourself then just ploughing on!

Also try and get to know the other candidates, our group all chatted before and got on really well, so we all supported each other throughout the exam which was nice. :)

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thanks again everyone. You were right, once I got into the exam I felt calm. Did the riding part first, which was good. Horses were lovely, though I did have to mount a mare of 16hh from the ground, luckily the caller was lovely and helpful. Typically I got something more like 15hh for my second horse whom I mounted from a block :S Was happy with all of it, including the no stirrups bit, which I wasn't sure of as I don't tend to practice that much. The only bit that worried me was I felt quite unbalanced in the light seat part, given that I had never ridden the horse before. Did worry about it, but apparently it was ok :)

Once we got into the Knowledge and Care section I relaxed more when I realised the sort of questions we were being asked. I felt confident in answering the questions (read Hazel Reed book A LOT), was interesting to see other candidates as some of them were quite young, and age definitely helps here as I was confident and articulate while some of them were mumbling a bit bless 'em! The bit the worried be was the mucking out part, as my lot have lived out for at least 10 years, so not had much practice in that area. I was a bit thoughtless and tried to leave my fork in an 'convenient' place, but ended up pushing the horse to move towards the fork. The examiner picked up on this and asked me what i did wrong. Knew straight away to explained I shouldn't have done it. Was fairly sure I would get failed on this bit.

In the grooming and tacking up bit, I hardly saw the examiner at all. She was lovely, but certainly didn't see me groom, tack up or rug at all, just came in the see the result, I could have been doing it any old how! Was interested to note I didn't get questioned at all on the grooming kit items, reasons for grooming, feet and shoeing and watering.

Anyway got my results to day and I passed! Really pleased :D On to Stage 2 now!!

Last edited:

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
ER- Thanks :) Tis a good feeling :D If you end up doing Stage 2 keep in touch, I've just taken a peak at the Stage 2 book, never plaited a horse in my life! (all natives) Can just about lunge but probably not safely as Saf doesn't mind if the whip accidentally get waved when I'm swapping sides and we don't have all the gear, normally just lunge in a headcollar LOL! Have a few horses at the yard I can hopefully practice lunging, but we have a yard for of horses with lovely flowing locks so will have to hunt down someone with a horse with a short mane that I can practice plaiting :D

Marydoll

Visit site
ER- Thanks :) Tis a good feeling :D If you end up doing Stage 2 keep in touch, I've just taken a peak at the Stage 2 book, never plaited a horse in my life! (all natives) Can just about lunge but probably not safely as Saf doesn't mind if the whip accidentally get waved when I'm swapping sides and we don't have all the gear, normally just lunge in a headcollar LOL! Have a few horses at the yard I can hopefully practice lunging, but we have a yard for of horses with lovely flowing locks so will have to hunt down someone with a horse with a short mane that I can practice plaiting :D

If youre going to do 2 and are unsure of lunging, get a lesson from someone, theres quite a few fail the care in 2 on poor lunge technique.
Also the knowledge in art and science of feeding seems to up its game in 2 so make sure you know a fair bit on that

Eastern Rose

Visit site
You're welcome. :D

I am doing a course to study the stage two for around eight weeks soon. I am worried about the plaiting part and lunging. :eek: I think you have to do a tail plait too which could be a problem for me. :eek: It will be hard to practice the plaiting as I don't have my own horse, yet ;), and I can only get down to my friends place around once a week.

Oh god, I am not too good at the feeding part. :eek:

Marydoll

Visit site
You're welcome. :D

I am doing a course to study the stage two for around eight weeks soon. I am worried about the plaiting part and lunging. :eek: I think you have to do a tail plait too which could be a problem for me. :eek: It will be hard to practice the plaiting as I don't have my own horse, yet ;), and I can only get down to my friends place around once a week.

Oh god, I am not too good at the feeding part. :eek:

In my 2 we just put a couple of mane plaits in, youve got bands and thread, if you can go for the thread for me it gives a better finish.
If you want to be up on your nutrition, theres a free online equine nutrition course running from edinburgh uni starting on Monday, im thinking that should cover enough for stage 2 knowledge.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Marydoll, thanks, I will definitely have a lesson or two on the lunging, luckily my local BHS RS is really helpful so should be able to book something in. I'm signed up for the nutrition course, talk about good timing :)

ER - That's good then, was thinking about doing a course, but am on a very tight budget, hopefully I can teach myself the theory and get lessons at my local RS. I have a couple of dates in mind for the exam, depending on how I'm doing, either Runningwell EC on 17th June, or Rayne Riding (my local RS :) ) on 9th July.

Eastern Rose

Visit site
Marydoll - Thanks for the tip! Is using the thread hard? And I will have a look at the course online. :)

SaffronWelshCob - What I found helpful for stage one is buying the book and the activity book with it. I will try and do it again for stage two, that should be of some help if you are learning it by yourself. :) I have no idea when I will do mine, depends on how well I pick up on things. :D

Marydoll

Visit site
The stage 1 imo looks at the basics of horse care and checks if you behave safely around horses, think safety and neat and tidy, be able to identify different feedstuffs by sample and say a wee bit about it, horses it might be suitable for
and how it can be used in the diet, rules of feeding, basic field care and grooming.
Its been a while since i did stage 1but think we got ....

Some points of the horse
Colour identification and markings
Basic hoof
Identify basic tack and tacking up as a practical
Rugs and rugging identifying types and as a practical fitting them properly on the horse stating suitability eg. Stable, fleece, outdoor rug etc
Rules of feeding and identifying feedstuffs , Be able to identify maize, oats barley nuts beet etc and say a wee bit about how they work
Practical of How to muck out and set fair beds
Practical leading and tying safely the bhs way
Are you Safe working around horses
I cant think of it all, but thats a bit off it