Bhs stage 2 ride

teapot

Visit site
I seem to remember it used to be that the horses used for exams were actually capable of being ridden to a level higher.

However, I know many a Stage 2 horse that would give your stage 3 or 4 candidate a headache if they weren't used to riding, especially jumping, the less educated/schooled school horse.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
For stage 2 the chief examiner usually discusses the horses with the qualified staff at the yard. For stage 3 the examiners ride the horses before the exam starts.

Patterdale

Visit site
The horses have to be safe and schooled to an appropriate level. They do not have to be schoolmasters.

My stage 3 XC horse stopped at the first 6/7 jumps on the course, it was a swine. But I kept my head and got it round. One of my flat horses was a riding school horse who had clearly never worked in an outline in his life. So I stayed in walk and trot and got him stretching down to a contact, lateral work, lots of suppling. I did show lots of canter on my other horse who was more established. I passed.

They are judging your riding, not how prettily you can sit on a push-button horse.

Patterdale

Visit site
However, I know many a Stage 2 horse that would give your stage 3 or 4 candidate a headache if they weren't used to riding, especially jumping, the less educated/schooled school horse.

This is key - lots of candidates have only ridden their own horse, or only forward competition horses. It can be a shock to get on a riding school type after that.

mini-eventer

Visit site
To be honest as long as it is safe any most horses would be fine for stage 2. They do not have to be push button. I had one lazy but willing on the flat. Then a cheeky chap for the jumping who tried to set his neck and run out at the fences with other candidates. But actually as long as you controlled his shoulders was great fun. I got on really well with him

Irish Sally

Visit site
All the horses will be able to jump the course but you'll have to be able to ride. You won't be able to sit there and do nothing. If you could get lessons beforehand with the school that's being used for the exam it would help you a lot.

scats

Visit site
My stage 2 horses for jumping were like chalk and cheese. A firecracker 14.2hh pony was my first one, who i loved as it was totally my type of point and fire. A girl rode that one before me and didnt get on with it at all and i think had a stop and then got handsy and into a bit of a fight. It did take a pull, but thats how i like them to a fence so i was in my element.
The second one i rode was about 15.2hh, a heavy set ID x type. Needed a lot more leg and was less enjoyable for me as it wasnt my type. I got both around clear but my first round was much better.

Id say the horses were all capable but very much needed sussing out and riding.

EventingMum

Visit site
Don't focus on clear rounds, if you have problems and deal with them correctly there shouldn't be a problem. Ride correct lines, maintain a good balanced pace and rhythm and stay in balance with the horse. You are unlikely to be riding a show jumper so the assessors will be aware of that and take it into consideration.