bhs stages

madeleine1

Visit site
hi
so i have found myself out of work through depression and have always wanted to do my bhs stages or at least in someway be qualified to teach people to ride.
so while i have some free time i want to put myself through myself through the qualifications.
i have an nvq level 2 in horse care and i believe this means i can skip to stage 3 but dont no if this is just making life harder for myself or what i need to do first. so advice please.

thank you in advance xx

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I would probably do stages 1-3 as they are funny exams and are easy to fail by not doing things the "BHS way" I would book some training at a BHS exam centre to give yourself a feel for the exam horses, good luck either way :)

lindsayH

Visit site
If you are doing it for a teaching qualification, you would need to sit the PTT exam. This combined with Stage 2 is the first rung of the BHS teaching ladder and the UKCC level 2 coaching qualification is now also included in the exam. I don't know how this would work with you having the NVQ instead but a quick call to the BHS exams office would clarify that. After that you do Stage 3, a child protection course, a first aid course and complete a porfolio to get your BHSAI. Sometimes the BHS can be a bit frustrating but overall I found it all very worthwhile and learned a lot more than I expected to. I think selecting a good place to train for your PTT is also very helpful. Have a good read of the info on the BHS website but if you have any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

ruth83

Visit site
How recently did you do your NVQ? Did it include the riding/schooling option?

If it was relatively recent, I would pop along to a riding school or instructor who is well up to date with the syllabus and requirements and have an assessment. They should be able to help you gague whether you will be able to step in at Stage 3 happily or whether you may be better looking at Stage 1 or 2 to get you back into things. As has been said, the exams are a little different to the NVQ route and you may find it smoother to step in at a lower level.

Which are are you in? Perhaps someone can recommend somewhere

misswagtails

Visit site
I've done my stages. And I def wouldn't recommend going straight in at 3. Like wellbaggins says they're 'funny exams' you need to get used to the way they rub to give yourself the best chance of passing.

Good advice from everyone else. Find a good trainer that can help if you need it. Lastly you mentioned you had depression. Respectfully I ask you to think twice about it. They are professional exams and can be quite frustrating and quite tough! If you find a lovely trainer and have good friends and feel confident go for it it's a great basis for work and working v with horses. But I make no bones about it it's tough. And for good reason their qualifications are respected around the world.

I don't mean to be negative I hope this helps you and I second the offer of help if you get stuck with any theory!

madeleine1

Visit site
hi all just want to update this thread over 2 years later. i have passed my PTT and im on my way to my stage 3 which is booked for easter time. i am also a cheif instructor at my own pony club centre and im absolutely loving it. thank you for all the comments on here they were very helpful and have kept them in the back of my mind. thank you

GemG

Visit site
hi all just want to update this thread over 2 years later. i have passed my PTT and im on my way to my stage 3 which is booked for easter time. i am also a cheif instructor at my own pony club centre and im absolutely loving it. thank you for all the comments on here they were very helpful and have kept them in the back of my mind. thank you

Lovely update, well done you!

Tnavas

Visit site

Congratulations - your whole post resonates a happier person - it's great that you got out there and gave it all a go. Good luck for your Stage 3

Eventing Girl

Visit site
I would get yourself a lesson and a theory lesson with a BHS examiner if you can. I did this for my stage 4 and they know exactly what you need to know or whether you will be good enough. They will be able to advise you where to start. I agree about doing it the BHS way too and I have to say that there exams made me very nervous ;) Good luck :)

Eventing Girl

Visit site

Haha sorry just seen this post now :) Well done you and keep up the good work :)