Big bale hay for laminitic pony?

diddy

Visit site
Hi everyone,

One of my ponies has been on a carefully managed diet since a laminitis attack 2+ years ago. Since then, I have been putting hay in a pretty bare paddock all year as and when to make sure she doesn’t eat too much. I am wondering if it would be doable to leave a big bale in the field with a small hole net over it to save all the trips up and down with a wheelbarrow - the field is boggy already with this rain!

Does anyone do this with a laminitis-prone pony or am I asking for trouble? I watch my mare’s weight obsessively and can move them away from the hay for periods during the day as I work from home but like I say don’t want to take any chances of setting the laminitis again over the winter.

Any advice welcome - thank you!

windand rain

Visit site
Asking for trouble sadly ponies standing at a big bale are not moving and will stuff them silly while not expending any energy. Well laminitics need to move and use more/equal calories than they eat not possible while standing at a bale even more likely if it takes time with a small holed net

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I actually agree with above some horses literally have no cut off point, one of my Arabs would munch hay all day and night rather than search for a bit of grass.