Big bale hay

Tia

Visit site
We don't refer to them as tons or tonnes - ours are all measured in lbs. We make 800lb and 500lb bales.

S_N

Visit site
LMAO!!! Fair enough - I thought I might be wrong - do you know how do tell the difference, if you are just looking at them though? Am trying to work out how many I can put in my trailer (will break em up so I can move 'em myself - it's waaaaay cheaper than small bale stuff) and still legally tow it!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Aren't US ton(ne)s different from UK ton(ne)s?
Still don't know how they're spelt!!

Here you go... this will confuddle you further
smile.gif

"The pound (lb) is the basic unit of weight (which is proportional to mass). Within the English units of measurement there are three different systems of weights. In the avoirdupois system, the most widely used of the three, the pound is divided into 16 ounces (oz) and the ounce into 16 drams. The ton, used to measure large masses, is equal to 2,000 lb (short ton) or 2,240 lb (long ton). In Great Britain the stone, equal to 14 lb, is also used. The troy system (named for Troyes, France, where it is said to have originated) is used only for precious metals. The troy pound is divided into 12 ounces and the troy ounce into 20 pennyweights or 480 grains; the troy pound is thus 5,760 grains. The grain is also a unit in the avoirdupois system, 1 avoirdupois pound being 7,000 grains, so that the troy pound is 5,760/7,000 of an avoirdupois pound. Apothecaries' weights are based on troy weights; in addition to the pound, ounce, and grain, which are equal to the troy units of the same name, other units are the dram (1/8 oz) and the scruple (1/24 oz or 1/3 dram)."

Tia

Visit site
Our 800lb bales are hard cores and the 500lb ones are soft cores. They are easy to tell the difference as the hard cores are very tightly packed, especially in the centre hence the name hard core. They are also much bigger in height (4ft) and diameter (5ft). Soft cores have a floppy soft centre.

I actually prefer the soft cores because there is less to go wrong. If hard cores are baled when the hay is even just a tiny bit damp then mould is a concern, however some farmers will use acid on their hay which prevents the mould from forming. We are organic here so we don't use this - lots of speculation about what it could do to the horses. We have to use the age-old method of using the sunshine and wind to make ours as good as they can be
grin.gif

It may all be different in the UK though - we only ever made small squares (again they were organic) when we lived there so I never really had anything to do with rounds. Henryhorn/Patches might be able to shed more light on what is common practice there as I am sure both of them make/use rounds.

Happytohack

Visit site
One tonne equals 1000 kilos, which in "old money" equals 2200 lbs.

One ton equals 20 hundredweight. One hundredweight equals 8 stone. One stone equals 14lbs. (with me so far?). Therefore one ton equals 2240 lbs.

smile.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
We used to buy our hay by the ton (or tonne!), and would reckon on 55 small bales to the ton. Buying large bales is always quite a bit cheaper, but not everyone can store them or move them as they are so heavy.

Tia

Visit site
You're welcome; although I don't think I really helped you much with figuring out how many you can tow.

Over here, the large squares are ALWAYS treated with acid. There has been an awful lot of scaremongering going on about using this hay for horses, particularly foals and mares in foal. Thoroughly check it out if you are planning to use large squares (I know they aren't square but that is what they are called over here).

I used some large squares back in April - they were awful! Mine were the 8ft long ones and 4ft deep and 4ft tall. Really difficult to handle and the hay was not good as the hay is cut so many times during the baling process. They are also so tightly packed that it is almost like dealing with cardboard. The acid was a concern to me so only the older horses were fed this and the younger ones were fed our own organic timothy small squares. I would never use large squares again.