Big bunny Bella and his supposed friend

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Don’t k ow if anyone will remember my rabbit saga.
In short, had 2 a old girl and younger (unknown age) buck.
Doe died during lockdown and the boy was just miserable, no rescues could help as all closed, so I bought a baby girl off a breeder “Bella”
Bella and Jon got on really well after careful introductions, sadly Jon died.
A rabbit was found locally on the side of the road, I gave it a temp home until it’s owner was found, turned out it was Fiver a castrated buck in need of a home. Fate!
Took Bella to be spayed so I could start bonding them.
Bella was a boy :(
Tried with the bonding anyway but they are literally going to kill each other, I’ve never seen anything like it. The hair and blood. I’ve tried different ways several times over and now admit defeat, one of them is going to get seriously hurt.
So they are still in separate temporary accommodation.
Fiver had about a third of Bellas run.
They do sit by each other sometimes through the bars but Fiver sometimes growls and seems a bit aggressive (even though he’s half the size)
Really I wanted Bella to live with a friend in the full size run so this is far from ideal.
Any ideas? Someone said leave them to fight it out but as above I really think it’s too violent! ?
Might it be worth approaching a rescue to see if we could swap?
Sounds awful but maybe if they need a already castrated boy and have a non bonded girl?
Or even advertise that on a rabbit page ?‍♀️ I’m just not sure what to do.
Either that or they stay separate for the rest of their lives.

[153312]

Visit site
Happy to help as well if you want, I like bonding bunnies - it can be a clash of personalities more than anything though.
How were you approaching it, assuming having them living next to each other, act then...? :)

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Happy to help as well if you want, I like bonding bunnies - it can be a clash of personalities more than anything though.
How were you approaching it, assuming having them living next to each other, act then...? :)
Hi, thanks. I had them next door to each other, separated by mesh panels.
I started swapping litter and toys/bottles and bowls round between the two to get them accustomed to their scent.
They sit side by side eating.
Made a third area so non territorial, tried with nothing in and with stuff in.
Popped them in together, having bonded a few before and read into things a bit I knew to expect a bit of chasing or at least for them not to take notice etc.
Literally the second they see each other it’s just attack mode.
I’ve actually had to use a broom to separate them and the amount of hair and blood (but can never find injuries, apart from mild bits on ears- i guess ears bleed a lot)
They are both pretty stressed by it and seem exhausted after attempted introductions.
I haven’t tried for a while now but think the smaller is getting a bit growly through the bars at Bella (who appears not to care and both have space not to sit together and places to hide)

[153312]

Visit site
How long have you had them living side by side before swapping stuff over and how do they behave when separated by the mesh panels?
Do they also react when in enclosures separated by distance? (E.g across a room).
My gut feeling is either they're just not compatible (not unlikely with adult males) or they feel rushed so could do with longer living together/a break from attempted bondings to feel more secure in themselves. Also assuming you got Bella neutered?

If you are really keen to have them together you could try putting scent on them both, and/or moving the enclosures further apart, leaving them for a time (weeks) then moving them very, very slowly closer and having them live next door to each other for much longer.
But it could just be mismatched personalities unfortunately. It's a shame but it happens. :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you!
So I’m not really sure how long they have been side by side. It’s a long time now though, months not weeks, like 6 maybe?
I’ve never really had them separate but not side by side, they have much of a large room. I can carry fiver round and away, Bella doesn’t do being held. They don’t really seem at all bothered by each other until they are together.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry yes Bella is neutered. Well castrated. He went in as soon as the vets were open for routine stuff a little girl and came out a castrated boy ?

BlackRider

Visit site
So sorry to hear this - I remember your saga and was so pleased when you found Fiver.

I've heard that 2 males can be difficult to bond - I hope you find a solution.

[153312]

Visit site
Sorry yes Bella is neutered. Well castrated. He went in as soon as the vets were open for routine stuff a little girl and came out a castrated boy ?
??

Oh wow ? sorry to say I did chuckle at that!

So I guess your best bet might be the scent - or just accept that they aren't compatible, which would be totally valid and fair enough. So you could either take one to a rescue and "swap" or get friends for both. If you can, try and find a rescue that will let them "choose" their own companion :) depending on where you are I might know some who are able to help that happen. ☺️ It's such a shame when it doesn't work out :/