Big Decision

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Ok, I guess in the great scheme of things its not a massive decision, but quite an important one. At the moment I keep my horse at a yard on working livery. People were really friendly at first and helpful too, but more recently things have been a bit different. Horse is happy and settled now. We do shows together and lots of the usual things like hacking lunging etc. I've overheard lots of people saying nasty things and everyone seems to criiticise me all the time saying I'm a rubbish rider and that the horse is wasted one me. It made me really upset, my horse is quite happy so I don't understand what they mean. I'm starting a course in Equine Studies at Bicton College, and they are offering me a place for my horse. I don't know whether to move her and settle her all over again (it took a while the first time) or to just leave her where she is. If she went to Bicton she'd have her own stable, space but apparently there is limited turnout. Where she is now there is lovely turnout but no stabling. hmm.. I'm worried she might get bored in the stable but just not sure. The downside where she is now is some novices ride her but the riders at Bicton might be more knowledgeable. She has had a back problem, and just want her to be happy. I just feel people are always trying to throw advice at me too on my yard, and asking why I do things all the time. I just like to look after my own horse in peace really. She'd be on working livery at Bicton too, and its a bit further away. Sorry for long post, weighing up pros and cons - wondered what you all think
smile.gif

Stuff

Visit site
I would leave her if she is settled. Ignore those who critiscise you, it's hightly possible they are jealous of your horse/skill.

piaffe

Visit site
do you know where your horse would be at college? ie at the college or at the farm? my horse was there (with me) and the grazing is shite (at the farm)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Hmmm, Toughie. There is bitchiness (mostly out of jealousy IMO) at most yards, and you might get some of the same at college... If your horse is really happy and settled where she is maybe you could try and ignore the bitchiness and just do your thing. I know how wearing it is though, so you have my sympathy!!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I'm not sure where abouts she would be kept they havn't really said. Yeh the people are givin me a hard time, and every time I go into the tack room I hear ends of converstations and it goes silent as I come in. Just feel unwanted. They just keep sayin I'm not a good enough rider for her and she's not reachin her full potential with me - this makes me sad because I hate to think she's wasted on me we have such fun together and she doesn't complain so I just don't get it. I guess I'll try to just ignore it.

pixie

Visit site
Whatever they say, I'm pretty sure horses don't go about thinking "if only I had a better rider, I could be doing Badminton (or whatever)" I'm pretty sure your horse is happy and not dreaming of big compeititions. You don't have to to be an amazing rider to be able to be able to enjoy eachother and have fun!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh well, if we're talking about horses not reaching their full potential with their current rider, then PF would certainly be included!!
Jealousy, jealousy, jealousy. Clearly what they're saying is that you've got a lovely horse, so be proud of her
smile.gif
She doesn't know she's being wasted (and I'm sure she's not; if you're enjoying her and she's happy, then I don't think she's wasted at all!) Do they think she would do better with them?? Probably not.
Snide remarks like that are very tiresome and can be demoralising, but it's just jealousy, so if you overhear something like that again, I think you should just smile sweetly and say "She is fabulous, isn't she? Wasn't I clever to find her?!"
smile.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They just keep sayin I'm not a good enough rider for her and she's not reachin her full potential with me - this makes me sad because I hate to think she's wasted on me we have such fun together and she doesn't complain so I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, poor horse- Im sure (s)he spends all day upset because (s)he wont be a hickstead next year!
Some people are very odd
crazy.gif

You are happy with your horse and your horse is happy with you- nothing else matters.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll try to just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best idear, TBH if your horse took a while to settle in last time and from sounds of it the turnout is a bit pants at Bicton then try to keep her at current yard and dont listen to a word these stupid people say.

Vey

Visit site
Turnout matters so much to a horse - it really is key to their health and well being - leave her where she is with her friends, and rise above the nastiness. Smile sweetly and do your own thing!

4whitesocks

Visit site
a horses full potential is b*llsh*t...I got that a bit with Sid and everyone on here was brill about it - once your horse is well cared for and happy in her riding and her turnout - who cares what they say - I know it's hard but I bet you're a better owner than any of them are and all it is is jealousy

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Move her - without hesitation. She will be absolutely fine.

Surely you want your horse with you when you go away to college - and why would you want to pay good money to a yard full of such hideous people??

Take her - you won't regret it.

Pasha

Visit site
So what if your horse hasn't reached it's full potential? Who are they to decide what it's full potential is? It's your horse, you pay for it so no one has the right to critisise you if your horse is happy and well cared for!! People like this really make me mad - who are they anyway? Are they regular features in the H&H, do the Derby every year and win? I think not!

If I were you I'd leave my horse where it is for the time being (if it is happy and settled and well looked after), then when you finish college move as fast as you can to a yard that isn't full of jelous nobodys!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Had to laugh at the Horse wishing it was doing Badminton. My mare has no ambition apart from: Eat breakfast at 7am go in field and eat grass at 7.15am, 2pm have a lie down, 3pm get up and eat some grass and next doors trees, 6pm come in have a brush, maybe go for a hack,maybe not, 8pm eat tea then, eat hay then poo a lot, then go to sleep.
grin.gif