Big grins during individual shows

AntiPuck

Visit site
I watched a few showing classes at the Royal Windsor Show last week - I think these were hunters, and then senior pony and riding pony classes.

I noticed that, during their individual show sections, many of the riders had huge grins on their faces.

Obviously, this is lovely to see, but I wondered - is this part of the show itself or were they all just really chuffed to be in the ring?

Is it about looking better for the judge? A way of boosting their confidence whilst being watched? I'm very curious to know if this is a "thing" in showing or not!

j1ffy

Visit site
My friends and I noticed the same during the cob classes - although it was the ride judge that caught our eye rather than the competitors. It looked very much like a “thing” rather than sheer joy at riding all the cobs (some of them didn’t give her a nice ride but the grin stayed!). I found it a little creepy by the fifth horse…

AntiPuck

Visit site
My friends and I noticed the same during the cob classes - although it was the ride judge that caught our eye rather than the competitors. It looked very much like a “thing” rather than sheer joy at riding all the cobs (some of them didn’t give her a nice ride but the grin stayed!). I found it a little creepy by the fifth horse…

How interesting! I didn't see any judges ride, but that does sound a bit creepy!

J&S

Visit site
Are they grins or grimaces!! I remember years and years ago going round a XC course with a lovely mare I used to ride. The course was long and srtong and put us a bit out of our comfort zone. at a particluar drop fence my friends were watcging me and i heard them say as I passed " gosh (or what ever expletive!), she is actually smiling!"...... I suspect I was gritting my teeth and grimacing!!

Visit site
I'm usually huffing and puffing from my go round barely able to breath so mine would defos be a grimace ?? saying that I've not done a ridden class in 5 years!

What I did notice notice at the Highland this year though is salutes - very few people actually come to a full stand still, let alone stand a few seconds before saluting. And then most just drop an arm, no actual proper salute or head nod.

abbijay

Visit site
I was taught years ago to paint on that smile whatever happens! It is part of the performance to look like you're having a nice ride. It also meant the pictures look better and that in turn made the memories happier so I was more positive when looking forwards to the next one. At a big show that you have had to qualify for I would expect some of the riders to be genuinely pleased to be having their big moment (ok, perhaps not some of the pros) and at least some of those big grins should be truthful.

misst

Visit site
My daughter used to show for a family and they were big on the "SMILE" . I found the showing world a bit off putting if I'm honest it seemed to be all about who you knew and in the childrens classes it was not unusual to see stewards and judges "ignore" ? bits that were not within the rules when it came to some big names. If you tried to object you were sidelined and it was quite bitchy. That was 20+ years ago so hoping things have changed a little.

Visit site
My daughter used to show for a family and they were big on the "SMILE" . I found the showing world a bit off putting if I'm honest it seemed to be all about who you knew and in the childrens classes it was not unusual to see stewards and judges "ignore" ? bits that were not within the rules when it came to some big names. If you tried to object you were sidelined and it was quite bitchy. That was 20+ years ago so hoping things have changed a little.

It's not changed they have changed the rules to suit the people who they need it to suit.

teapot

Visit site
Depending on class/which ring they were in, I think a lot of people would smile if they'd notice the Queen was watching!

abbijay

Visit site
Depending on class/which ring they were in, I think a lot of people would smile if they'd notice the Queen was watching!
Many years ago I was at Cheshire show and Jim MacDonald (coronation street character) was watching my class. That made me smile. Tbh I’m more interested in b list celebs than royalty but each to their own.

SO1

Visit site
I was in the in hand senior class at Windsor and I always forget to smile, I am not a natural smiler and look grumpy or sad when I am concentrating looks awful on photos and actually it is a bit of thing in showing now I think, along with quite a lot of make up on some of the competitors.

I was at Herts Country a few years back doing a ridden class in veterans and the commentator actually said over the tannoy in our class, don't forget to smile you are meant to be enjoying this.

Visit site
I was in the in hand senior class at Windsor and I always forget to smile, I am not a natural smiler and look grumpy or sad when I am concentrating looks awful on photos and actually it is a bit of thing in showing now I think, along with quite a lot of make up on some of the competitors.

I was at Herts Country a few years back doing a ridden class in veterans and the commentator actually said over the tannoy in our class, don't forget to smile you are meant to be enjoying this.

I attempt to smile which results in my face going from "resting bitch face" to blank stare ??

Cowpony

Visit site
At a recent Area Festival I gave the judge at E a nice smile as I left the arena, as I think it's unfair that the judge at C gets all the smiles and salutes, and the others get ignored. She gave me that sort of smile that says "Well, it wasn't very good was it, but you tried." I'd actually thought we'd done a decent test, although clearly not going to be bothering the leaders. When I got my test sheets she'd given me a mark that was about 6% lower than the other judges!

But I always feel that pasting a smile on for the whole test is very fake and just looks weird.....so I have lots of photos with a concentrating scowl!

conniegirl

Visit site
At a big show that you have had to qualify for I would expect some of the riders to be genuinely pleased to be having their big moment (ok, perhaps not some of the pros) and at least some of those big grins should be truthful.

As far as im aware you dont have to qualify for the showing classes at Windsor.

A lot of my showing friends are just super pleased to be out and about again! Lots of smiles just because they are back in the ring.
Riding show horses is supposed to be easy and fun so going round with a grimace on your face gives the wrong picture

bouncing_ball

Visit site
But I always feel that pasting a smile on for the whole test is very fake and just looks weird.....so I have lots of photos with a concentrating scowl!

Dunno I smile during nearly all my tests nearly all the time. It’s not intentional but lots of people snd judges comment on it.

I’m not sure if I’m subconsciously proud to be there? Or if it’s a stress reaction. It’s not planned.

Bernster

Visit site
I was told to smile during showing, and down the centre line for dressage. Not a rictus grin but def a big smile. As for Windsor, I was surprised at the mixed tack in the show ring. I assumed it was something folks qualify for and would be like a championship level, but maybe not. Not that I care what kit people ride in but for showing there is ‘correct’ attire so it did look odd.