Big plaits - any advice?

Burnttoast

Visit site
How are these looking? First attempt at big ones! I need to thin his mane a bit in the midsection of his neck but it's about six inches long - does this sound about right? Any tips for improving them? Cheers :-D

attachment.php

attachment.php

YardGeek

Visit site
They look awesome! :D
I get the best results from sewing them in straight through the middle of the "ball" of the plait to really push them up into the "hood".

Burnttoast

Visit site
Thanks! Do you roll or fold? These are folded and sewn through the middle bottom to top. I'm used to doing tight little eventer plaits, these are a bit of a culture shock!

YardGeek

Visit site
I fold in half and then roll up if that makes sense, as it means I can really push them up into the crest and keep them tight :)

Burnttoast

Visit site
Cheers! Will practice again in the week and take a bit out of his mane, think that will help them all look the same. Anal, moi?!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Thanks guys. Good news, as I really should be working, not playing with ponies ;) He is a smart boy but not mine, alas. A week ago he had two feet of straggly mane because he was still trying to be a Friesian, but we've given up the unequal struggle and lopped off what hair he did manage to produce. He looks better like this I think. Still canters like a Friesian tho...

Burnttoast

Visit site
Ellie - start with longish not too thick mane (his is 6 inches and a bit too thick in places). These are 1.5 mane combs wide, so I get 7 on his neck. I did the first two or three crossovers loose - no tension at all - then the rest of the plait tight. Stitch end of plait, fold up, stitch down length, fold up again, stitch through top to bottom a few times, then give the hood a bit of a 'poof' to get it to stand up. Will be doing them for a Katie Jerram clinic in Jan so they'd better be perfect by then!

WildRider

Visit site
Ellie - start with longish not too thick mane (his is 6 inches and a bit too thick in places). These are 1.5 mane combs wide, so I get 7 on his neck. I did the first two or three crossovers loose - no tension at all - then the rest of the plait tight. Stitch end of plait, fold up, stitch down length, fold up again, stitch through top to bottom a few times, then give the hood a bit of a 'poof' to get it to stand up. Will be doing them for a Katie Jerram clinic in Jan so they'd better be perfect by then!

How long is longish haha?

cobden

Visit site
OP says longish is 6 inches. They look fantastic, I'm quite inspired to try them on mine - her mane is fairly long but not too thick but I was thinking it would have to be quite a bit shorter for decent plaits - maybe not !:)

WildRider

Visit site
OP says longish is 6 inches. They look fantastic, I'm quite inspired to try them on mine - her mane is fairly long but not too thick but I was thinking it would have to be quite a bit shorter for decent plaits - maybe not !:)

Thanks Cobden! Never seem to get Rocky's plaits looking right no matter what length/width so will give 6x6 a try! :D