Big storm to hit cornwall!!! A little scared!

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
Morning guys. We are all prepared on the farm for the big storm on Saturday. Shocking the mess after Wednesday and then the have another one come in, I dread to think the damage it will make..... even though we are near the sea! Luckily we are far enough away not to be affected by the water and my 2 boys are usually out all the time. But I would really like to keep them safe. I was thinking to bring them in later today around 5ish and keep them in untill Sunday late morning. I have never had to keep them in that long before. I would have thought to try and walk then during the storm will be frightening. How do I manage this? As that is such a long time to keep them in. Any advice would be great

Spit That Out

Visit site
If they were out in the last storm, can they not stay out on Sat? Or is it forecasted to be even worse?
If they aren't used to being in then that might stress them out more than standing in the wind and rain? However I understand completely that you are worried about them and from seeing the pictures from down there, it looks dreadful and mine would be in!
If they aren't used to stables do you have a largeish barn you could bed down, plenty of hay so they can mooch around?
If not then deep beds, plenty of hay and keep checking on them.
Take the storm as it comes, it might be over quicker than they think.
My thoughts are with everyone in the Devon and Cornwall area, luckily (Cheshire) is wet and windy but it's nothing compared to what you guys are having to deal with at the mo.
If I had my own land up here then I'd offer a home until the storms passed...batten down the hatches and good luck

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It's awful, iv never seen water like we have now and yes more to come. I'm in Devon and the damage around me is mad.
Tbh I would keep them out if that's what they are use to and no risk of being washed away.

w1bbler

Visit site
Mine our out 24/7 on Dartmoor & survived Tuesdays stormy night (although definately spooked by it)
Will be out all weekend, they didn't go near their shelter (was still full of hay) & stood in middle of field all night - by the look of the mud patch.
Fellow livery had hers in & stable looked trashed, had obviously been running around inside from the look of their beds.
I'd stick to normal routine , they'll cope.

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
It's terribly frightening the unknown. As the damage that is done is so bad. I hope you stay safe up there in devon!! The things is if I left them out I worry that things will fly around the farm and ending up in there fields. Also trees! We had 2 down in ponies paddock on Wednesday and I'll never forgive myself if something landed on them or frightened them and they hurt them selfs. I suppose as we are on the coast the wind is even more raging. I sound like a drama queen and usually I wouldn't worry about such things. But after seeing the damage on wed. It's really given me the frights. Hope every one stays safe

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
Thank you for reply :) yes they was in for last storm. But only max 15 hours. They have never been in longer, They are super laid back boys (lucky me) and I can bring them in or leave them out I have no major routine and nothing bothers them as long as they have food! We don't have a suitable barn for then to mooch in :-( but stables are in a great position. Sheltered by buildings! And I suppose it's my peace of mind thinking if them tucked up with lots of haylage in their beds. OH keeps telling me the same. Take it as it comes. Might not be that bad! I just have never had to keep them in longer than over night. I was talking to some one yesterday and their horses haven't been out since Monday. YO won't let them. Were as I'm at home and yes the fields are a little messy but I only have a a mini shet and my big boy. Over nearly 4 acres.

babymare

Visit site
I would take as come and if you do have to bring in as othrrs saod plenty of hay and checks. My thoughts are with you and everyone so badly affected. I can not begin to think how hard it is for you all. Stay safe x x

EffyCorsten

Visit site
We are on the edge of exmoor on the coast so I'll be bringing mine in they'll be happier in the stables and there's no risk of damage to the stables they are so strong and sheltered in the yard but my house on the other hand my house may well be reduced to rubble! Stay safe everyone!

julie111

Visit site
Mine will be in, my mum's big barn roof blew off Tuesday night and landed in their ponies field, fortunately she had got the ponies in just minutes before! Truly awful weather we are having at the moment and no end in sight:(

Zebedee

Visit site
This one won't be quite as bad as it was Tuesday night / Weds morning. Still very rough though. So stay safe and try not to worry,

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Last winter we had to keep ours in for 5 days because of the snow, they would normally go out every day. It wasn't possible to walk them, there was no where to go and anyway we couldn't get the barn door open. I would never have chosen to keep them in all that time but they were fine. I'm sure yours will be fine this weekend, if you bring them in until the worst is over.

Good luck!

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
All I keep hearing is how much worse tomorrow is supposed to be compared to wed. But as every one keeps telling me.... Take it has it comes :-/ I hope every one stays safe and keep ours fingers crossed!!

lhotse

Visit site
Don't worry about keeping them in. Mine all stayed in on wed, they didn't even leave their stables as the wind was so violent. They had been out for 3 hours on tuesday morning and were more than happy to have a duvet day on wednesday. If I keep mine in, I normally like to either ride or walk inhand but neither was safe to do on wed (my mare hates the wind and rears at it!). They all had plenty of hay. They were turned out thursday morning with no problems and you wouldn't have known they had been kept in for that length of time. The two little natives would rather have their stable than the wind and rain and my arab, well, she just doesn't do weather!!
Today, I have hacked out for an hour and all have been out in the field for a couple of hours too. They will probably be in for the weekend now, although hoping to be able to ride for a short while as a leg stretch if the wind dies down for a short while in the morning.
I wouldn't stress about them being in, they will be fine. Hope you don't have it too rough down there, the wind is picking up here in Glos right now.

Mike007

Visit site
I am keeping my fingers crossed for all you guys on high ground and exposed spots out west. I remember only too well the huricane of 87, the heart of which blew straight across my farm. I had barn roofs torn off and walls of brick built buildings blown out by the air pressure.All the animals knew well in advance that it was comming. The sheep all broke out off the common and headed to the sheep shed in the farm yard. On any other ocassion ,that would have taken 3 men a dog and a horse to achieve.When it hit ,it seemed like the end of the world. I chatted to my tame met man about it after. He said that the wind speed recorded on top of the post office tower wasd 160 mph ,(it would have been higherbut the annemometer was torn off the roof at that point)His estimate of the wind speed at my farm on top of the north downs ,alowing for the rising ground, its height at 700 ft and the venturi effect was at least 160 mph. There were 4 ft diametre beech trees snapped off like twigs in its path. Our landscape was irrevocably changed.BUT WE SURVIVED AND CARRIED ON!. You will too. I hope to god that you guys will not be faced with a scene of devastation afterwards.BUT HOWEVER BAD IT GETS YOU CAN RECOVER.Best wishes .. Mike

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 and I have left them out today too, I did think about bringing them in but I think they are safer using the natural shelter that is available than in the stables that are rattling noisily in this wind. The rain is coming in very heavy showers but the wind is blowing pretty hard at the moment. According to the forecast it's going to get worse before it gets better. I hate the worry of it all, saying that looking out of the window and horses are in the middle of the field with their bums to the wind grazing happily.

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
it was pretty windy last night but not terribly horrendous. at least it has not rained too much
It's not actually that bad:) I put my 2 out this morning. And have mooched around the farm all day waiting for something to happen. A few big rain showers. But nothing very major. The wind has picked up on the last hour. But the horses are fine out for the moment! Hope every one else is ok

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
It's not actually that bad:) I put my 2 out this morning. And have mooched around the farm all day waiting for something to happen. A few big rain showers. But nothing very major. The wind has picked up on the last hour. But the horses are fine out for the moment! Hope every one else is ok

Lets hope it doesn't get any worse, I think it will hit you first and make it's way up here, South West Wales, forecast seem to hint that it would start easing late afternoon and be a lot better tomorrow but it looks like another storm is due to hit on Tuesday. Hope it doesn't get any worse for all of you in Cornwall .