Big suprise BOGOF!

TBmum

Visit site
So my mare that I bought in October has been confirmed in foal by the vet and due any day.......

I've been joking about it for the last couple of months as her belly has been getting bigger but put it down to spring grass as didn't think pregnancy was a real chance.

Having spoken to previous owner she was AI'd twice last year and vet scanned her and said not in foal. Apparently vet was very wrong.

Any advice, tips, help welcome......:eek:

TBmum

Visit site
Don't think I'm going to get that to be honest. I've decided that I'm going to worry about passports/dna testing etc once foal is safely here. :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
You need the covering certificate asap.

And for which there may well be a charge. Rightly so too. There must be some sympathy for the vendor surely!

If you didn't and don't want the foal, then assuming that the vendor does, there may be a deal to be struck, and if you end up with the foal and no CC, then assuming that you know who the sire is, getting confirmation via DNA (records are kept by the AHT I believe), may be a way forward.

At the very least, the vendor will have grounds to go back to the examining vet and expect recompense for a failing in their professional judgement and assurances and upon which they relied. All vets practices will have adequate insurance to cover them for professional failings.

Alec.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Don't think I'm going to get that to be honest. I've decided that I'm going to worry about passports/dna testing etc once foal is safely here. :)

That is frustrating for you, the previous owner told you the mare was AI'd twice so the owner will have all the paperwork for the semen, the dates of AI and scanning. The ex owner must have a reason for withholding the covering certificate. In your situation I would be having a chat with her. You could save a lot of hassle and money if you could get the ticket.

Visit site
If the previous owner AI'd then they spent a bit of money! If you don't want to keep the foal once weaned then they may well take it.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
And for which there may well be a charge. Rightly so too. There must be some sympathy for the vendor surely!

If you didn't and don't want the foal, then assuming that the vendor does, there may be a deal to be struck, and if you end up with the foal and no CC, then assuming that you know who the sire is, getting confirmation via DNA (records are kept by the AHT I believe), may be a way forward.

At the very least, the vendor will have grounds to go back to the examining vet and expect recompense for a failing in their professional judgement and assurances and upon which they relied. All vets practices will have adequate insurance to cover them for professional failings.

Alec.

Well I don't know what about sympathy for the OP? She obviously did not know the mare was potentially barren as had supposedly not held to two coverings so the seller was not particularly honest about the reasons for sale. If that were me I would cut my loses and hand over the certificate or offer to foal the mare and buy the foal perhaps. The op presumably bought a riding horse and will now have the hassle and cost of a foal she did not chose the sire of and did not intend to have! The mare is also at risk having it, so it's not a win win situation for the op by any stretch of the imagination.

TBmum

Visit site
I am speaking to her now, the first I knew about her being AI'd was the night before last when I messaged her asking if there was a chance she could be in foal. I will ask about the covering certificate, however I believe it was a transferable stud fee with guarantee, so may have been used on another mare now. I will check all of this once I have a healthy mare an foal as that is my priority right now.

The vendor sold my mare due to a change in her circumstances and hasn't displayed any interest in wanting the foal now. TBF a foal was the last thing I wanted but I love my mare and don't think I could part from her foal and it will have a home for life with me.

TBmum

Visit site
Maesfen looking at her now knowing it is a possibility I totally get where you are coming from.

However I didn't think it was a possibility and she lost loads of weight over the winter (typical TB), she's had many vet visits and it's never come up as an option as didn't know she'd been AI'd at all.

She was sold to me from field with the description of was going to be used as a broodmare but owner's circumstances had changed. Maybe I was naive and too trusting but I would have thought you would share the information about her having AI. But then from the previous owner's point of view a vet told her she wasn't in foal.

Alec Swan

Visit site
TBmum,

at the time of purchase did the vendor tell you of the AI attempts and did you buy the mare to ride or as a broodmare?

I'm not judging anyone, just asking out of general interest!

Alec.

ets. Just seen your post above which explains everything. Had the vendor been straight and transparent, then they 'may' have some entitlements. They weren't it seems, so they don't!!

I would recommend though that you try to keep the door of communication open, as you will at least need to know who the sire is, for any attempt at registration, I'd have thought. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

TBmum

Visit site
TBmum,

at the time of purchase did the vendor tell you of the AI attempts and did you buy the mare to ride or as a broodmare?

I'm not judging anyone, just asking out of general interest!

Alec.

ets. Just seen your post above which explains everything. Had the vendor been straight and transparent, then they 'may' have some entitlements. They weren't it seems, so they don't!!

I would recommend though that you try to keep the door of communication open, as you will at least need to know who the sire is, for any attempt at registration, I'd have thought. Good luck! :)

Hi Alec,

She was being sold with a stud fee, which I declined as I had no intention of breeding from her and made this very clear at time of purchase.

I don't think it's the vendor's fault and do feel for her a little as she is going to miss out on a cracking foal if all goes well. However do feel a little angry that when I stated that I did not want to breed from her she did not impart the full information, I may have not bought her or at very least got a vet to confirm if in foal or not.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm glad you feel that way in spite of the non disclosure; you'll be fine, just read up all you can, make sure you have the facilities in place that make it a safe place for them to be and be ready for absolutely anything. If you ever think of something and dismiss it, it's a fact that the foal will find any way to get into danger it can; they have ways of finding the weak places in any set up. If you think it can happen it probably will but preparation is the key. Make friends with your vets and the best of luck; hope it goes smoothly for you all. Pictures are obligatory of course!

Wonder if it was the same person that gave us an ex SJ broodmare due to their circumstances (but have since started breeding again, collecting more stallions and mares) and just neglected to tell us that the mare is a raging psychopath once foaled, both at the foal (which she trampled and broke its legs) humans and other horses yet was the nicest girl to handle both before and while she was in foal. Probably why we couldn't find any trace of her previous foals although we had been told she had foaled easily before.

Mariposa

Visit site
Congratulations! Clearly not the result you were expecting but how exciting to have a foal on the way. Very best of luck with it all, can't wait to see photos!

TBmum

Visit site
I promise to post photos as soon as he/she is here and I've worked out how to, will probably spend some time tonight whilst on foal watch trying to work it out. ;)

TBmum

Visit site
Apparently I don't have permission to post photos yet...... I will pm someone and ask them to post them for me. ;)

TBmum

Visit site
Thanks at this moment in time all I'm hoping and praying for is a healthy mare and foal, I will deal with the complications once I have got that outcome. :)

Mrs G

Visit site
I'm amazed that you've seen and watched this mare since autumn and not seen the foal moving at all when it's due any day now. Specsavers?

Some women don't know they're pregnant themselves until they have the baby so I think we can forgive the poor OP! Good luck with it all TBmum x

Rollin

Visit site
OP I hope all goes well. I have two, a Shagya and a Cleveland Bay who look in foal just on spring grass!!! Easy to miss IMO.

When I read threads like this I see the benefit of having a National Stud, who used to be the only PIO in France. All coverings and inseminations must be posted on line to the National Database in the event of dispute the National Stud mediate.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
I returned a broodmare on loan to me, scanned not in foal, and she subsequently had a foal. No discussion about who owned the foal. Such is life. At least this foal will be, by the sounds of it, by a good stallion and not some Heinz 57 like a lot of 'surprise' foals are. Wishing you all the best for a stress free and successful foaling Tbmum.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's easy to miss and I have seen it done both ways surprise arrivals and waited for arrivals where the moving foal was obviously a very bad case of wind in a seriously fat mare .
I would contact the stud as well they may be able to help you .
Good luck with the new arrival.

madlady

Visit site
Just a thought but if the stud fee was transferable and it's been used on another mare then the stallion owner might ask for another covering fee - if that's the case then the vet who scanned the mare as not in foal would be responsible for that cost I think.

Good luck with your new arrival!

skint1

Visit site
How exciting! If it were me though I would be praying the original owners would take the foal on as soon as it was old enough, I just haven't got the right skill set to educate a young horse.

Tobiano

Visit site
wow OP that is a big surprise for you to deal with! I have no experience whatsoever but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for a smooth foaling and healthy mare and foal xx