Big suprise BOGOF!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Congrats that's awesome. Hope both are happy and healthy, mum and baby and cannot wait to see pics. My neighbours mare is due to foal and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop waiting for him/her to come :)

dominobrown

Visit site
I returned a broodmare on loan to me, scanned not in foal, and she subsequently had a foal. No discussion about who owned the foal. Such is life. At least this foal will be, by the sounds of it, by a good stallion and not some Heinz 57 like a lot of 'surprise' foals are. Wishing you all the best for a stress free and successful foaling Tbmum.

Yes with you here. I would enjoy your foal and wouldnt be sueing/ finger pointing etc. Scanning horses in foal at an early stage is not that reliable, bet the vets have a disclaimer.
As for the previous owner, thats life, if she wants the foal buy it back, if not Tbmum says it has a home for life. Might be a horse of a liftime?!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Now you really are a TB Mum! :)

I'm not really sure where you go from here. I suppose that the options are;

You rescind the contract, but with the delights which a new-born foal will bring, I'd doubt that you're THAT inclined, understandably. You bought the mare to ride, but it will be at least six months before that will happen, and then she'll need bringing back in to work. I'd also imagine that you've become fond of the mare over the last few months, so it would be a head over heart issue, or the other way about!

You continue to engage with the vendor of the mare, and that you offer to sell the foal back at weaning, or you keep it as a genuine BOGOF! Offering to sell the foal back to the breeder would be quite acceptable, because it would be highly likely that the breeder will turn to the vets who missed the pregnancy as it's they who through a certain responsibility charged for a service which failed. It would be unthinkable that the vets concerned don't have insurance to cover them and indemnify clients for their mistakes.

If you are still on speaking terms with the vendor, and I see no reason why you shouldn't be, then the foal will need to be registered and for that you'll need the covering certificate. The problem with that, of course, is that the vendor can hardly go after the vets for compensation, AND end up with the foal, I wouldn't have thought. I'm not too sure about that aspect of things!

Anyway, it's very early hours, 4 to be precise, and you have lots of time to make up your mind as to the future.

Well done! :)

Alec.

Emmahi

Visit site
Congratulations! We had a similar experience with a Shetland years ago who had been out on loan. Had no idea she was pregnant until we saw a foal in the field as we drove down the drive on the school run! Turned out to be a cracking little pony who we've had great fun with! Although a TB is a slightly bigger surprise! Enjoy!! X

LeannePip

Visit site
Oooh congratulations TBmum! What exciting news!

I'm assuming your mare is a TB, Do you know who the father is?

Can't wait for pictures!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I can't even message them..... Think I need some sleep! lol

You have to upload them to a website such as photobucket.com then you copy the url and post the reference to the url here. Someone will be able to make them show up on this thread then if you don't do it quite right. Congratulations. I can't wait to see the pics. Who is the sire?

Haniki

Visit site
Congratulations on the safe arrival of your surprise foal.
Hope all goes well and that you enjoy 'motherhood'.

Damnation

Visit site
I can't even message them..... Think I need some sleep! lol

1) Create a free Photobucket Account

2) Upload files

3) Click on the picture on Photobucket and on the right hand side it will say something like IMG link. Copy and paste that into the message on here.

Job done :)

*Waits excitedly for pics!!*

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Congratulations, that was quick!

Important things now.

Have you had the vet out to check both mare and foal over and to have a look at the placenta, that is most important? If there's the tiniest chance that the placenta tore and left a bit inside her she will become very ill within hours, it's extremely toxic; I can't stress that enough. Have you treated the navel of the foal with iodine, blue spray (proper Terramycin not cheap watery stuff) THAT IS A PRIORITY, you don't want germs getting in and setting up joint ill.
Is the mare up to date with her tet jabs as if not, the foal definitely needs some no. I always get my foals checked over by vet asap and an anti-tet given to the foal; absolute priority.
Is the foal drinking OK; did she run a lot of milk before she foaled as if so the icg test wouldn't be a bad idea to check the levels but if she didn't run milk you should be OK as the foal will have taken all the colostrum.
What are you feeding the mare as now she's raising a foal she needs to be fed for it?

Sorry for all the questions but these things need doing asap far more than loading up pictures.

Feival

Visit site
Congrats, pm me your address and I'll post you my copy of from foal to full grown. It was my bible when my Bogof came along. Having a foal is so much fun and you will find yourself just looking at them for hours. Boy or Girl?

TBmum

Visit site
Congratulations, that was quick!

Important things now.

Have you had the vet out to check both mare and foal over and to have a look at the placenta, that is most important? If there's the tiniest chance that the placenta tore and left a bit inside her she will become very ill within hours, it's extremely toxic; I can't stress that enough. Have you treated the navel of the foal with iodine, blue spray (proper Terramycin not cheap watery stuff) THAT IS A PRIORITY, you don't want germs getting in and setting up joint ill.
Is the mare up to date with her tet jabs as if not, the foal definitely needs some no. I always get my foals checked over by vet asap and an anti-tet given to the foal; absolute priority.
Is the foal drinking OK; did she run a lot of milk before she foaled as if so the icg test wouldn't be a bad idea to check the levels but if she didn't run milk you should be OK as the foal will have taken all the colostrum.
What are you feeding the mare as now she's raising a foal she needs to be fed for it?

Sorry for all the questions but these things need doing asap far more than loading up pictures.

Vet's coming this afternoon, as everything was straight forward and pretty much text book. I spoke to Vet just after foaling and she is not worried at all.

Everything is in place and sorted, it's amazing what I can organise in the 2 days of pregnancy that I knew of!

So now is the important bit of the photos which are still not working! lol

LiffWee93

Visit site
If you have the photos on Facebook, right click the photo and choose "view photo in new tab"
Copy the url from the new tab window
Enter into message box on forum,
Before the url type
without spaces :)

So should look like
.....abcdefghijkl..etc.com

Hope that helps :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Congrats, pm me your address and I'll post you my copy of from foal to full grown. It was my bible when my Bogof came along. Having a foal is so much fun and you will find yourself just looking at them for hours. Boy or Girl?

Won't you be needing that yourself? ;)

TBmum

Visit site
Alec Swan can you message me please I need your advice.
Sorry guys there won't be any photos being put on a public forum for a while as I don't want them getting into the "wrong hands".

If anyone has been in my position previously or has equine law experience please message me as I would love any advice or experience on offer.

Much love to everyone. A very stressed tbmum! X

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
When I first got into Irish Draughts, I bought 2 mares from a reputable breeder (who also owned the stallion ONE of them was meant to be in foal to.) The in-foal one slipped the foal at 10 months. The other foaled a week later (I called the foal, Indigo Diamond Surprise, lol) The former owner behaved well - and probably due to sympathy re the foal I lost, sent me a covering certificate for the BOGOF (and HER purchae price had been much lower becaue she was meant to be empty.)

Brood mares (in foal OR empty) tend to be cheaper than riding horses, unless it's a VERY proven mare!! So you've probably paid more than the mare should have been - and have been sold something that was 'unfit for purpose' - that's the purpose you bought if for, rather than the purpose seller thought she'd failed at! I should add that my in-foal mare who wasn't MEANT to be had 8 more foals for me - and EVERY time we scanned her, vet would start with "I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything" (a cautious guy) and I would say: "Keep looking, it's Portia!" She always WAS pregnant! A 14 day scan is often actually a 12 day scan - and even a GOOD vet can miss it!

You've come out of it better than you might have (you could have lost both!) but you would still have a case against the seller if you wanted to proceed. Under the circumstances, I don't think I'd bother - time/money/the risk of a judge who doesn't understand the differences - but I'd talk to the owner of the stallion. If it was one of my stallions, I'd certainly be happy to provide a covering certificate for a token fee. The stallion owner (if not the seller) deserves SOMETHING for semen collection or in-hand covering - but perhaps not the whole stud fee as he/she didn't have to do all the work again! If the seller IS the stallion owner, then I'd be demanding a free covering certificate or smack them in court!

Do you need one? Well of course it depends on the eventual use of the foal. Haven't read the whole thread - is it a filly or a colt? (Fillies are more important where proven parentage is concerned!) Is the stallion who is the sire a 'name' that would add to the foal's value? Are you planning on selling it?

TBmum

Visit site
When I first got into Irish Draughts, I bought 2 mares from a reputable breeder (who also owned the stallion ONE of them was meant to be in foal to.) The in-foal one slipped the foal at 10 months. The other foaled a week later (I called the foal, Indigo Diamond Surprise, lol) The former owner behaved well - and probably due to sympathy re the foal I lost, sent me a covering certificate for the BOGOF (and HER purchae price had been much lower becaue she was meant to be empty.)

Brood mares (in foal OR empty) tend to be cheaper than riding horses, unless it's a VERY proven mare!! So you've probably paid more than the mare should have been - and have been sold something that was 'unfit for purpose' - that's the purpose you bought if for, rather than the purpose seller thought she'd failed at! I should add that my in-foal mare who wasn't MEANT to be had 8 more foals for me - and EVERY time we scanned her, vet would start with "I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything" (a cautious guy) and I would say: "Keep looking, it's Portia!" She always WAS pregnant! A 14 day scan is often actually a 12 day scan - and even a GOOD vet can miss it!

You've come out of it better than you might have (you could have lost both!) but you would still have a case against the seller if you wanted to proceed. Under the circumstances, I don't think I'd bother - time/money/the risk of a judge who doesn't understand the differences - but I'd talk to the owner of the stallion. If it was one of my stallions, I'd certainly be happy to provide a covering certificate for a token fee. The stallion owner (if not the seller) deserves SOMETHING for semen collection or in-hand covering - but perhaps not the whole stud fee as he/she didn't have to do all the work again! If the seller IS the stallion owner, then I'd be demanding a free covering certificate or smack them in court!

Do you need one? Well of course it depends on the eventual use of the foal. Haven't read the whole thread - is it a filly or a colt? (Fillies are more important where proven parentage is concerned!) Is the stallion who is the sire a 'name' that would add to the foal's value? Are you planning on selling it?

Hi I'll message you. X

TBmum

Visit site
It would be to late as there is already a dispute. I'm not a member as have each of my horses insured. Sadly without legal cover as I was unaware I'd bought a mare in foal. X