Big youngster - painful growing?

dressagelove

Visit site
I have a 3yo KWPN, he will be 4 in april. He is a big chap, only measuring in at 16.2 but he's chunky. He's not in full work yet because of my following concerns, but I have sat on him and done some trotting. I want him to take his time maturing wise before upping the riding.

I've noticed him resting his hind legs a lot, and upon feeling his hamstrings, they do feel very tight and he seems to enjoy them being massaged. He is also reluctant when I'm picking up his hind legs to stretch them backwards

Is it unusual for their bones to grow much faster than muscles? Or has he had a growth spurt and muscles haven't quite caught up yet?

Just unsure whether this is something I should be concerned about, or is normal for a big lad at his age.

Thanks

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would be getting him looked at asap and cutting any feed right back.

We have an 18 month old who grows whilst I watch him, massive joints and loads of bone. He only had suregrow when he came home after weaning and has been kept lean, only feed is haylage now.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I'd suggest that you need a competent vet, someone who understands the problems attached to growth-spurts, and someone with the necessary x/ray equipment and the necessary skills to interpret, and report upon, what they see.

It's probably nothing to worry about, but I wouldn't have him do ANY work, until you find out exactly what's going on with him.

Will you let us know how he progresses?

Alec.

Ets, I meant to ask; What sort of feeding programme do you have with him?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Seems "normal" for a KWPN and sadly people think it's normal which is why my friend gets so many KWPN/warmbloods in for rehab at such a young age.

Agree with Alec, get the vet, reduce feed and stop pushing asap.

dressagelove

Visit site
Thanks.

He isn't is any work really no, I long line or lunge maybe once a month at the most at the moment and take him for the occasional walk in hand.

He is on ad lib hay, and gets one small feed a day which is only fast fibre, plus supplements inc. micronised linseed, pro hoof, and about a quarter topspec balancer than what a fully grown horse in full work would get.

I will cut out the topspec and have a chat to my vet. He is not overweight at all, he looks really well actually, and you can feel all his ribs easily, but they are covered enough so you can't see them.

I will keep you guys posted if you want to know how he is doing :)

Rollin

Visit site
I too would like to know the outcome. For what it is worth neither our Cleveland Bays nor Shagya Arabs do more, at three years of age, than walk and trot with a rider in the arena. we lunge and do some ride and lead, without a rider, then turn them away.

I have a four year old ShGxCB who we thought would be a pony, at a full four years old she has just shot up. I think there can be more growing to do at 3 and so we like to take our time.

Kallibear

Visit site
If he was mine I would be trying to get him a little poor, probably leaner than 'sociably acceptable'. If his ribs are covered enough that you can't see them then he's probably overweight for a big youngster who will have no muscle. I'd be wanting to slow his growth if possible.

I have a 16.3 ISH who's rising 5 and still growing. He's spent the last 3yrs being scrawny and lean, surrounded by fat natives and cobs so plenty of 'ooo, he's a bit skinny' comments. He had huge joints, massive barrel and growing like a weed and it's only now he's growing into them. I deliberately kept him 'poor' to ward off the exact problems you're having.

Geema

Visit site
Very important that your youngster has all the right nutrients if he's having a big growth spurt. You don't need to load him with calories that might encourage the growth even more for this, but you do need to give him the recommended daily rate of a supplement or a feed balancer to support him unless your forage is incredible. Try Gain's Opti Care, not expensive per day, they love it, and stops the need for any complicated self created mixtures.