Biggest horse you would put in a HB403.

cblover

Visit site
I know they say they will take up to one 16.2hh horse but what is the biggest you would/or do put into a single Ifor Williams trailer?

I've had two of these trailers in the past, both a 401 and a 403 and the biggest I put in comfortably was a 15.3-16hh chunky cob type.

Just wondering really, thanks.

kassieg

Visit site
I had to borrow my friends once (car broke down on way to yard & I was booked into an event & was I hell loosing my money. She was going to watch anyway so offered to tow me)

My 16hh id x tb looked massive in it & luckily it was only a 30 min journey cause I wouldn't have wanted to do a longer 1 in it. She did however save my life :)

I wouldn't put anything over 16hh & ideally 15.2 unless its fine

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I've no idea whether the sizes are the same but assume they're not wildly different. I had my 16.3hh, 6'9 rug bum high Shire X mare in a 401 several times. She didn't have to do long journeys (no more than 40 minutes) and she is a very good and sensible traveller. There were no issues, and in fact when the trailer I used to borrow came up for sale recently I seriously considered buying it. She travelled far better in that than she has done in a 510 - probably because there's more stall width - and better than she has done in any of the rear-facing 3.5 tonners we've used. I think if she had the choice she'd stick to my big box though.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks both. I don't think I'd put anything bigger than 16hh in a 403. I know of some who are 16.2hh in a single but they are superb loaders and travellers.

My new clydesdale mare is just 16hh but I'm getting a hb505/506 with the middle partition out for her to travel in.