Biggest rip off?

Equi

Visit site
What are things you have seen that are the biggest rip off?

My pet hate is people advertising a horse shoe with a lick of paint on it for £15.

gmw

Visit site
All the 'backmen' that fool people by saying they have realigned their horses pelvis etc. Also so called saddle fitters fitting saddles that are far too narrow, small, long etc. The so called expert who 'break' horses. I despair.

Batgirl

Visit site
My previous saddle fitters (2x that 'fitted' saddles to my horse and damaged him)

Show jackets, considering how cheap you can get suit jackets.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
the horse in the stable next to me ;)
Either that or these Mojo band things,
or some supplements,,,,
or some feeds,,,

I could go on,,,but worry I'll be too grumpy!

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
Matchy matchy gear .... It's a cute idea, and I see why people like it, but seems to be the MOST expensive saddlecloths and bandages in the world!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
'Equestrian Clothing' that is sold to work in around a yard. These items cost a fortune because of the label 'Equestrian'. Go to any 'Outdoors' shop & you'd get better quality boots, thicker & warmer coats than any of the equestrian stuff & you'll pay significantly less. :(

old hand

Visit site
paying full price for anything, always wait for sales. buy secondhand if I can, a lot a people use things once ir twice then sell, bargains to be had!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Branded supplements. Paying £80 upwards for a tub of ingredients that could be sold for a fiver and still make a profit.

Don't buy them now as none of them ever made a difference. Its cheaper to increase turnout and exercise appropriately for the needs the individual horse. Supplements are too often the equivalent of extended warranties for electrical goods. A scam.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Branded supplements. Paying £80 upwards for a tub of ingredients that could be sold for a fiver and still make a profit.

Don't buy them now as none of them ever made a difference. Its cheaper to increase turnout and exercise appropriately for the needs the individual horse. Supplements are too often the equivalent of extended warranties for electrical goods. A scam.

Couldn't agree more. I don't use them anymore either apart from Agnus Castus which has had a good effect on my boy with cushings and EMS, tbh I don't really regard it as a supplement more an 'alternative medicine'. Anything else I've tried over the years has just been expensive rubbish.

FairyLights

Visit site
All the 'backmen' that fool people by saying they have realigned their horses pelvis etc. Also so called saddle fitters fitting saddles that are far too narrow, small, long etc. The so called expert who 'break' horses. I despair.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
all the above plus the price of saddles. Theres a huge mark up on them about 200% + and then if it doesnt fit the saddler wont have it back.
Also agree with the supplements. waste of money .

Annagain

Visit site
Matchy matchy gear .... It's a cute idea, and I see why people like it, but seems to be the MOST expensive saddlecloths and bandages in the world!

Couldn't agree more (except that I don't think it's a cute idea) Does a Eurostar badge really mean something is three times as good as one without?
I know someone who must have about 10 sets and even matches her clothes (inc coats) to her saddlecloths and bandages just for hacking. She even has about 3 different coloured show jackets to match her matchy matchy and barely ever competes.
Each to their own I suppose. I'd rather my three (two brown and 1 white for dressage) well fitting but very plain numnahs and riding in old clothes I can't wear to work any more!

lurcherlu

Visit site
Anything doodles / poo / chi related eg labradoodles , chi chis (Chinese crested x chihuahua , cocker poos ....... Biggest waste of money IMO people really genuinely believe they won't shed ...they will . I dog groom with my mum even poodles shed its just they shed into their own coats . Why would you pay this much for a designer mongrel . I have lurchers one of the original mongrels you don't pay much more than £100. for one from good working stock . We have a brittany in for boarding ATM maybe I should put my springer over her and make bringer spaniels or shitneys ??

NellRosk

Visit site
Anything doodles / poo / chi related eg labradoodles , chi chis (Chinese crested x chihuahua , cocker poos ....... Biggest waste of money IMO people really genuinely believe they won't shed ...they will . I dog groom with my mum even poodles shed its just they shed into their own coats . Why would you pay this much for a designer mongrel . I have lurchers one of the original mongrels you don't pay much more than £100. for one from good working stock . We have a brittany in for boarding ATM maybe I should put my springer over her and make bringer spaniels or shitneys ??

We've recently rescued a borderpoo (miniature poodle x border terrier) and whilst I agree with you that it's an absolute rip off I can say he doesn't shed! And I have a jug (pug x jack russell) as I wanted a pug but not the associated health risks as we lead an active life and didn't want something snorting and snuffling when running about. So we're inadvertantly the owners of 2 'designer breeds' :D (however when people ask what they are I just say terrier crosses because 'borderpoo' and 'jug' are too embarassing haha).

lurcherlu

Visit site
We've recently rescued a borderpoo (miniature poodle x border terrier) and whilst I agree with you that it's an absolute rip off I can say he doesn't shed! And I have a jug (pug x jack russell) as I wanted a pug but not the associated health risks as we lead an active life and didn't want something snorting and snuffling when running about. So we're inadvertantly the owners of 2 'designer breeds' :D (however when people ask what they are I just say terrier crosses because 'borderpoo' and 'jug' are too embarassing haha).
When you try to run a comb through his hair see how many tangles etc are in there .... Mostly it's hair that's shed into its own coat and it kind of catches itself like a doggy own grown Velcro . Sounds cute though !!

dogatemysalad

Visit site

Agree lurcherlu. I've been looking for a good old fashioned mongrel but when did they cease to exist ? Its been a shock to discover mongrels have become Designer breeds with a hefty price tag.

NellRosk

Visit site
When you try to run a comb through his hair see how many tangles etc are in there .... Mostly it's hair that's shed into its own coat and it kind of catches itself like a doggy own grown Velcro . Sounds cute though !!

Aww doggy velcro! I leave the brushing side of things to my mum so I wouldn't know! Yeah he's lovely, he's a little scruggy black ball of hair :)

mrswad

Visit site
Dishonesty. Part ex-ing a sharp £4000 horse plus paying an aditional sum for a calmer type that had been "vetted" then having the Tildren wear off the new horse after 5 1/2 months. Bought this from professional horsewoman in a position of trust in an equine college.... New horse had to be put to sleep rather than given another dose & sold on as she advised me to......

Dizzy socks

Visit site

We have a cockerpoo (and a lurcher). I cant bring myself to say cockerpoo to people, we just say spaniel x poodle. We didn't get her because she's designer, just because she seemed she would fit in well, having seen one - which she did. She's a lovely little dog, if a bit...backward. (She had been reduced In price to less than half what they normally go for)

She doesn't shed though...at least, I've never ever seen one of her hairs anywhere. If she sheds into herself - that's fine. It doesn't irritate allergies, or go everywhere, (although that's not why we got her - we weren't aware of that!)

lurcherlu

Visit site
We have a cockerpoo (and a lurcher). I cant bring myself to say cockerpoo to people, we just say spaniel x poodle. We didn't get her because she's designer, just because she seemed she would fit in well, having seen one - which she did. She's a lovely little dog, if a bit...backward. (She had been reduced In price to less than half what they normally go for)

She doesn't shed though...at least, I've never ever seen one of her hairs anywhere. If she sheds into herself - that's fine. It doesn't irritate allergies, or go everywhere, (although that's not why we got her - we weren't aware of that!)
I'm not saying they aren't nice dogs , I just hate the price tag they attract , you can get a pure bred for less !

FairyLights

Visit site
Dishonesty. Part ex-ing a sharp £4000 horse plus paying an aditional sum for a calmer type that had been "vetted" then having the Tildren wear off the new horse after 5 1/2 months. Bought this from professional horsewoman in a position of trust in an equine college.... New horse had to be put to sleep rather than given another dose & sold on as she advised me to......

thats awful similar thing happened to me too