Bike riders 40 in one bunch!!!!!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Utter rubbish, most horses would take a good look and may possibly spook at a load of bikes hurtling towards them, its a true saying a horse will spook at anything that moves and anything that doesnt ...... Even the best of them can be unpredictable, and that is detailed in the highway code that tells them to pass slowly, and to look and listen for signals from the riders.
My experience of the lycra clad eejits who use the roads around our farm as there personal tracks for speed trials, is not good they, ignore any requests to slow down and nearly knocked down a woman walking with a pram and toddler who were walkng along the road, and not one of them slowed down to see if they were alright, these guys are total pri**s

TOTALLY in agreement!
Oz :)

Mithras

Visit site
The mountain bikers I meet are on the North Downs, normally hurtling downhill fast, with total disregard to their life and limb

This made me LOL! Are you aware there is a competitive sport called downhill mountain biking? I've done it and its really enjoyable. I find theres quite a crossover from showjumping in terms of the skills involved.

In fact I kind of love this post. It reminds me of a letter to a local newspaper that got some fame in the triathlon world a few years back. It was from a lady who had witnessed the bike section of a triathlon taking place early on a Sunday morning, in which she complained about the "disgraceful sight of thrashing thighs".

Pale Rider

Visit site
Utter rubbish, most horses would take a good look and may possibly spook at a load of bikes hurtling towards them, its a true saying a horse will spook at anything that moves and anything that doesnt ...... Even the best of them can be unpredictable, and that is detailed in the highway code that tells them to pass slowly, and to look and listen for signals from the riders.
My experience of the lycra clad eejits who use the roads around our farm as there personal tracks for speed trials, is not good they, ignore any requests to slow down and nearly knocked down a woman walking with a pram and toddler who were walkng along the road, and not one of them slowed down to see if they were alright, these guys are total pri**s

Well, best leave your horse in the field then. You have to get your head around the fact that most people know sweet F/A about horses and don't know the horse they are passing has a rider on board who is anticipating a massive spook and disaster and thats just what is going to happen.

My horses quite like cyclists and look out for them in anticipation of the following game. If they pass from behind we trot after them, as they are pulling away they are no threat. Its not long before the horses are unfazed by cycles coming towards them at any speed. We do the same with waggons, busses or whatever. I don't know why I'm telling you this as you will be staying at home.

Shantara

Visit site
If you want to ride on a road, lane or path where people cycle, it's your responsibility to ensure your horse is happy to let 1 or 100 cyclists pass without spooking or becoming unsafe.

You cannot protect your horse from the world, its up to you to make sure he is confident in the world.

While I'm not anti-cyclist, I don't agree with this.
You never know what your horse will spook at! While taking Ned for a walk on tuesday evening and a HUGE tractor came past, with a port-a-cabin on the trailer on the back. Nothing. He didn't even look at it.
A man bending down with a drill...worst thing ever!

Marydoll

Visit site
Well, best leave your horse in the field then. You have to get your head around the fact that most people know sweet F/A about horses and don't know the horse they are passing has a rider on board who is anticipating a massive spook and disaster and thats just what is going to happen.

My horses quite like cyclists and look out for them in anticipation of the following game. If they pass from behind we trot after them, as they are pulling away they are no threat. Its not long before the horses are unfazed by cycles coming towards them at any speed. We do the same with waggons, busses or whatever. I don't know why I'm telling you this as you will be staying at home.

I dont need to leave my horses anywhere,they are all good on the road, even in heavy traffic thank you ;) but any horse is capable of spooking at loads of bikes with guys hollering and whizzing by you who choose to ignore requests from riders.
Also i am a very capable rider, but there are others not as confident who these people intimidate ... by riding mob handed hollerring for you to get out of there way as they fly past , not all of them, some are very good, but there is a core of them who would run you off the road and not cast an eye back to see if youre ok, and that lot really get on my t**s
I experience them every day where i am and they have as much responsibility as any road user to be aware of horses and the highway code,and also pedestrians where there is no pavement so while they might not be horse experts. If they want to use the roads, they should familiarise themselves with the highway code and follow it
Oh and while im happy to listen to your point of view, keep your sarcastic comments to yourself thanks

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Visit site
I dont need to leave my horses anywhere,they are all good on the road, even in heavy traffic thank you ;) but any horse is capable of spooking at loads of bikes with guys hollering and whizzing by you who choose to ignore requests from riders.
Also i am a very capable rider, but there are others not as confident who these people intimidate ... by riding mob handed hollerring for you to get out of there way as they fly past , not all of them, some are very good, but there is a core of them who would run you off the road and not cast an eye back to see if youre ok, and that lot really get on my t**s
I experience them every day where i am and they have as much responsibility as any road user to be aware of horses and the highway code,and also pedestrians where there is no pavement so while they might not be horse experts. If they want to use the roads, they should familiarise themselves with the highway code and follow it
Oh and while im happy to listen to your point of view, keep your sarcastic comments to yourself thanks

LOL, enjoy.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Its the cyclists who are in the most danger from our boy!! We did a bit too good a job desensitising him to bikes and ever since bikes have been his friend. He has to be physically restrained from mugging cyclists to check them out for polos!

Joking aside I have said before, I cannot understand why they are allowed to use the road as a personal race track. It's illegal to race cars on the road so why are bikes allowed to do the same?

Mithras

Visit site
None of these things seem to happen to me. The worst I encounter on hacks is bad drivers. I live in an area thats big with mountain bikers, road cyclists, triathletes, runners and hillwalkers/ramblers, but find the most problematic are families with loose children and loose dogs, which never seem to trouble HHOers. Even they are hardly that bad. It must be an exciting world out there...

I have to admit though when out mtbing once and unable to pass a rider on a narrow track due to her horse napping, I got fed up while she pfaffed about and told her to sit up, shorten her reins and use her legs. She gave me a load of abuse back. That is the most exciting thing to happen to me of this nature.

Oh no, wait. She wasn't wearing hi-viz!!!

Ceris Comet

Visit site
None of these things seem to happen to me. The worst I encounter on hacks is bad drivers. I live in an area thats big with mountain bikers, road cyclists, triathletes, runners and hillwalkers/ramblers, but find the most problematic are families with loose children and loose dogs, which never seem to trouble HHOers. Even they are hardly that bad. It must be an exciting world out there...

I have to admit though when out mtbing once and unable to pass a rider on a narrow track due to her horse napping, I got fed up while she pfaffed about and told her to sit up, shorten her reins and use her legs. She gave me a load of abuse back. That is the most exciting thing to happen to me of this nature.

Oh no, wait. She wasn't wearing hi-viz!!!

Thats just one of the obnoxious comments we have had had to tolerate from you over the past year

Kat

Visit site
I'm with Pale Rider on this, we as riders have a duty to both our horses and fellow road users to desensitise our horses to as many hazards as possible and to be as safe as possible. Whilst no horse can ever be 100% you can do a good job of getting them used to things. Mine hacks with a bike so cyclists are never a problem, but she'd never met a bike before.

I also think that often it is more about the rider getting wound up. I find that if you don't expect a spook and ignore the hazard your horse is a whole lot more relaxed than if you are in a flap, works with everything, hgvs, pigs, helicopters, cyclists, wind turbines etc.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I'm with Pale Rider on this, we as riders have a duty to both our horses and fellow road users to desensitise our horses to as many hazards as possible and to be as safe as possible. Whilst no horse can ever be 100% you can do a good job of getting them used to things. Mine hacks with a bike so cyclists are never a problem, but she'd never met a bike before.

I also think that often it is more about the rider getting wound up. I find that if you don't expect a spook and ignore the hazard your horse is a whole lot more relaxed than if you are in a flap, works with everything, hgvs, pigs, helicopters, cyclists, wind turbines etc.

Possibly the truest words I have read in a long time. *Like*

Marydoll

Visit site

Sorry but i disagree, any horse can spook, and a good rider is aware of this, it doesnt mean theyre a nervous wreck out riding,it shows theyre aware of whats going on around them which is what we were taught when i completed my riding and road safety exam, because a rider is aware it doesnt mwan theyre flapping :confused: i deal with these cyclists every day, my horse copes well. Others dont and i cant say i blame them, there is a big difference between 1 or 2 bikes and 40 of them flying by you as theyre all shouting and hollering.TBH I find your comments patronising, mabe if you were dealing with the ignorant cyclists we have to deal with youd change your tune

Ladydragon

Visit site
There are lovely cyclists and idiot cyclists where I ride. Just as there are bikers who switch their engines off as the come past, and those who rev them louder. Their are motorists who are lovely and wave at me and my horse, and those who shout at me to 'get off the bloody road'...
....and when i am the one driving in the car, there are some lovely riders who wave and smile when I drive past wide and slow, and those unfortunate others who look at me like I am the #%^* they scraped off their shoe.

A bit like life really.

Very true... :)

<snip>
It was from a lady who had witnessed the bike section of a triathlon taking place early on a Sunday morning, in which she complained about the "disgraceful sight of thrashing thighs".

:eek: That did make me chuckle... :D

Marydoll

Visit site

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
This made me LOL! Are you aware there is a competitive sport called downhill mountain biking?

Well aware, but they should use a designated cycle track to practice, not a public bridleway/byway where you are going head long into rider/walkers and dogs (although they may come off worst if they meet a 4x4 or quad on the byway). Dam irresponsible, same as it would be if I was to gallop straight through a bunch of walkers.

Having a right to be somewhere doesn't give you the right to totally disregard the safety of other users. Though it appears the group of cyclists the OP mentions had no right to be there anyway.

Kat

Visit site
Marydoll, if you read my post again you will see that I acknowledge that no horse is 100%. However, we as riders have a responsibility to be as safe as possible and can't expect everyone and everything to revolve around us.

You haven't a clue what my hacking is like, so I find your comment that " if you had to deal with what we do you'd change your tune" quite rude.

In fact yesterday we hacked out during a running race, less than a week ago during a cycling race, and we also have a motocross track on one of our routes. In addution to the tractors, milk tankers, the helipad, the wind turbine etc.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
A girl I used to ride with (until this incident) actually challenged a dad and his son, who dared to ask where the bridlepath we were on went to. She turned round a said very rudely "Bikes are not allowed on bridleways"......of course the dad told her they were.

She followed up with a very loud "someone's always got to ruin it!" :eek:

I was soooooo mortified, but then again she challenged some dog walkers a month before for the same thing. *sigh*.

Marydoll

Visit site
Marydoll, if you read my post again you will see that I acknowledge that no horse is 100%. However, we as riders have a responsibility to be as safe as possible and can't expect everyone and everything to revolve around us.

You haven't a clue what my hacking is like, so I find your comment that " if you had to deal with what we do you'd change your tune" quite rude.

In fact yesterday we hacked out during a running race, less than a week ago during a cycling race, and we also have a motocross track on one of our routes. In addution to the tractors, milk tankers, the helipad, the wind turbine etc.

I dont expect everything to revolve round us, and find that comment judgemental and rude ... Dont dish it if you cant take it, i do expect the same couresy i give to other road users to be given to me, you also havent a clue what our horses are like, they are all very good on roads, but some dont cope well with these rude cyclists that ignore us and dont give a monkeys at how any of tbe horses are reacting when their only goal is to make their time

TiddlyPups

Visit site
There was no need for them to be on that small lane, it's little used and is a cut through from the bridle path to another bridle path and then to the village. We got to the field ok, few shook up but thankfully no one came to harm. Never seen them there prior to today.

So actually, the cyclists did nothing wrong and nothing happened. They have as much right to be on the road as you do. Stop whining about nothing.

Flame_

Visit site
If you want to ride on a road, lane or path where people cycle, it's your responsibility to ensure your horse is happy to let 1 or 100 cyclists pass without spooking or becoming unsafe.

You cannot protect your horse from the world, its up to you to make sure he is confident in the world.

Not entirely true. Horses need accommodating by other road users. It isn't unreasonable. Pedestrians need accommodating by other road users, which is why within built up areas there are 30mph speed limits to protect vulnerable people from vehicles traveling at dangerous speeds. If a child is hit by a car, does everyone say, "stupid child shouldn't have been anywhere near cars", or "how fast was the car going?" It is in the highway code that horses need accommodating by passing wide and slow, and I don't believe that is just by cars but also cycles and by other horses.

To me the issue here wasn't just the number of cyclists. Had 40 cyclists passed the horse slowly with a bit of a gap between them and the horse, I expect that would have been fine. The issue is the speed. If one cyclist had sped past, the horse might have been spooked but once past, the horse would get over it and learn its ok. Having 40 speeding past is having to deal with that fear for a very long time and being trapped by it, exactly the sort of situation that IME causes horses to have bad experiences and get worse on the roads, not better.

Capriole

Visit site
Ooops I assumed when your said bikes you were referring to motorbikes - they have always been really considerate in my experience.

usually in mine too, although I did have a frightening episode while taking a couple of mares back to their field and hearing roaring motorbike engines speeding along the track, I had nowhere to go to get out of the way and on a bendy track I knew they werent going to be able to see me.
First one came round the bend and skidded sideways up the shingle at me and managed to stop, which slowed the others down. Definitely thought I was a gonner.
They were polite though and edged past me for a couple of yards before haring off again at speed. I rang the police to pick them up at the other end but dont know if they were caught.

Cyclists here are usually lovely and polite, we dont get too many of 'the world is my racetrack get out of my way' yobs.

Pale Rider

Visit site
Flame, all the more reason to train him, not to react if speed is the issue as well as the number.
It's all very well having the right of way or whatever but it means nothing if the horse spooks and bolts. Too late then even if you are in the right. You have to ride taking into account the other idiot, just like you do when you drive, or should. Defensive riding or driving should help keep you out of trouble, and having a bomb proof horse is part of it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
News Flash: Riders are not the only people on the roads, tracks, paths, lanes.

Let's stop moaning about it shall we?

monkeybum13

Visit site
News Flash: Riders are not the only people on the roads, tracks, paths, lanes.

Let's stop moaning about it shall we?

You what amymay? You mean that other people are entitled to use the same space as horse riders.
According to HHO that's no possible :rolleyes:

Whoever said about remaining calm about things and your horse is less likely to spook, that is very, very true.

Mithras - I must have really boring hacking too as I never seem to encounter these sorts of problems