Bilateral hind leg lameness - anyone have any ideas

mynutmeg

Visit site
Apologies this is long - mixture of frustration at vet cancelling, not knowing whats wrong and fear that PTS is on the way for my girl.

14 year old mare, never done heavy work (most she's done is low level endurance for a year). Past medical history of mild stifle lock bilateral, DDFT hole in hind leg that healed very well and diagnosed with sesamoiditis in hind leg about 18 months ago.
Since her diagnosis 18 months ago she did seem to improve and was coping with very very light hacking. Circumstances meant they spent 1 week in a very very wet field and she's just not been right since. Very grumpy and unhappy in herself.

Doesn't look quite right but doesn't actually look lame....until you do flexion test to the hind leg. It took about a minute before she'd put her foot on the floor never mind put weight on it. This was about 1 month ago, vet thinks it's not related to the sesamoiditis and is coming from higher up - hock xrays were pristine so those are out the picture. Even on 2 bute a day she's not happy. Had farrier today and she really struggled even tho our trimmer is brilliant and allows her to have her leg where she chooses. Any position backwards caused her to be very lame for a good minute or two on that leg, but coped much better when the leg was brought forward to be put on the stand she was much better. Part of what makes this so much harder to judge is shes so bl**dy stoical! She was obviously in pain with her hind legs being done despite everything we could do to make it as easy as possible for her (and she'd had 2 bute this morning) but the only thing she did was after her gentle walk in between short times with her leg up she'd try to get away from our trimmer initially (completely new for her), didn't once try to kick or pull her leg away or anything!

I will preface this by the vet is coming monday to do nerve blocks etc to try and work out where the pain is coming from, it is most definately both back legs (they were supposed to come today but had to cancel due to sickness which is frustrating as it took nearly 3 weeks to find a date both myself and the vet could do)

Has anyone had anything similar before? I'm suspicious of stifle arthritis :-( How lame and obviously painful she is on any sort of flexion/holding her leg up makes me think she's in a lot more pain most of the time than she is letting on - she'll still trot and canter in the field but only to try and keep up with our others. Occasionally her canter is weird in that both hind legs move together like a bunny hop

While I'd love her to be back how she was and ridable there is absolutly no pressure on her for that! I' have a 4 yo to do the riding thing! All I want for Roo is to be comfortable in the field

mynutmeg

Visit site
not particularly. She has a tendancy to slide one foot down more - the side that she rests 95% of the time (so I assume its the sorer of the 2)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I can't help with the diagnosis but i have had good results for one horse with magnetic leg wraps and would suggest that you try them on your mare, as pain relief.

Equi

Visit site
Interested in this. Mine is similar at the moment although doesn't seem to be quite as bad as yours (hes not on any bute etc and its only on one leg) fetlocks okay on xray and im seeking second opinion from another vet for current one is 100% sure its fetlock despite there being no evidence. Personally i think its hock.

One thing i have done differently since noticing the issue though is i took him off the grass for 10hrs a day with soaked hay and muzzled overnight and that seems to have helped a lot. He is a lot more sparky and energetic and more free but still lame on flexion of course. Ive also started giving him a deep buttock and thigh massage everyday which he seems to really appreciate. He is also on liquid turmeric and a glucoasmine supplement which he was not eating for a few weeks as so stuffed from grass, but now he is hungrier he is eating it and it seems to have helped. Vet commented he was moving much more freely than last visit, bar the positive flexion.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My 6yo has weak stifles with some mild OA - similar symptoms to yours including bunny hops but also toe dragging. I keep his weight down (restricted grass), do physio, lots of light hacking and feed him Pro Lam and Equimins Flexi Joint to support his joints / restricted diet. if you suspect stifles I would recommend a stifle xray if possible!

mynutmeg

Visit site
So vets finally got out today. One leg never blocked out at hock (even tho xrays are clean) and the other leg was still crippled even with stifle blocked out so shes off to dick vets to see if they can work it out

mynutmeg

Visit site
Shes no heat or swelling and has had them scanned in recent months (had sesamoiditis about 18 months ago). Its a possibility on the side that blocked at the hock but not the other side as that was blocked out up to stifle level with no change

mynutmeg

Visit site
Roos been up at the dick vets for a week now, her scan lit up around her sacroiliac joint, reading this fits with some of the ways shes been moving. They're optimistic they can get her comfortable :D:D