Billy's year & photos of then and now!

only_me

Visit site
Well, it is now the end of Billy’s first eventing season as he has started his holidays, I would have loved to finish the eventing season but tbh there was no need, we had such a good last event over a proper galloping course I didn’t want to upset his form by doing one event too many!
In total he has done 6 EIs, where he has been 2nd,2nd, 3rd and 2nd! He has done 3 pony club events, one normal, the areas and the championships at Intermediate level (PN) where he has been placed 3rd, 3rd, and 3rd! He is quite consistent my billy :p
As he is out and I have now tided my yard, I was doing a bit of reflection on our year, as someone said to me that he is really looking quite smart now, which makes me lol, as what did he look like at the beginning of the year?! :p But in all honesty, he has come on so much it is hard to believe, just some pictures to show the difference!
End of October 2010, when I tried him out
P1020513.jpg

But has gone on hols looking a bit more like an eventer, or at least, a sports horse:p
DSCN0141.jpg

His dressage has been improving, problem is he is very intelligent and quick to learn things he is also very quick to learn bad habits as well :rolleyes: But he always wants to please – If you tell him off, he gets in a right strop! So I just have to ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good :)
November 2010
DSC07889.jpg

This year :)
DSC06592.jpg

His showjumping was, and still is, a work in progress :rolleyes: But one day, I will get the hang of gathering up his front legs and keeping the back legs working, one day ;)
Start of the year, we took baby steps
http://www.lawrencemckenzie.com/wp-content/gallery/3rd-jan-11-b/3-1-11b-080.jpg
End of the year, slightly better, although a winter of grids and trotting into fences ensues! Plus a new bit, so I can hold his giganticness a bit better :p
IMG_6140.jpg

We even dabbled in some county show hunter, which was great, he came 2nd in the novice LW, even with his splint!
billya.jpg

P1030230.jpg

His xc is where he has shown the most improvement – at the start of the year he was very very green about water and ditches, we had a battle over a ditch where I won by pure perseverance, no shouting etc. but by making him jump every ditch I found at the start and end of every riding session, he soon got the idea :)
Stropping at the water
H1130022.jpg

DSC08148.jpg

And now, water is no issue whatsoever for him – he just needed time to understand :D
b-1.jpg

Permission to post
Carla_31.jpg

And of course, what billy does best – sleeping!
photo.jpg

Thanks for reading, it has been nice to reflect on how far he has come in such a short while! I can't wait till he comes back into work again! :)

Last edited:

OneInAMillion

Visit site
He's so cute :) I think the comment about him being really smart now is right. The first picture he is a yummy looking horse but the second picture he is all toned up and a proper grown up horse :) Well done with him

only_me

Visit site
Thanks showjumper11, maxie, pucciponi :)

Lol nicole, I think you will be eventing her yourself ;)

Thanks Oneinamillion :) He has still a lot of growing to to unfortunatley :p

only_me

Visit site
I forgot to add his excitement of hols pic -
photo-1.jpg

Galloping away from the stables :p

Oh, and he does enjoy a spot of donkey chasing as well ;)
photo6.jpg

moodymare1987

Visit site
He is looking fantastic, i think he looks much more grown up and toned, he looks like a proper horse now not that he didnt before but im sure you know what I mean.

comet&joe

Visit site
these are always such happy posts! glad ye had a good year and all is going well. bring on next year! and i also LOVE your horse. seeming he has done lots do u want to ship him over to me? free of charge too ;)

only_me

Visit site
Thanks NR99 :) Once he put on weight he looked much better! :)

Thanks moodymare :D I know exactly what you mean, now he looks like a real horse, although I believe still has resemblences to a giraffe :p

Thanks Nikki :) I do now have a matchy matchy set, abeit brown, as he won a set of brown bandages and I already have a similar shade nummnah and brown jods :D

Lol trish! :D

Thanks comet&joe :D You may have to fight for him though :p A few want him fed-ex'd, although they can pay the postage fee :p

Polo*Pony

Visit site
He's so lovely! Such a sucker for a coloured, and he's fab - great pics.

Also, not to get on my moral high horse or anything here but well done for overcoming his fear of water monsters etc in such a nice, quiet way - so many people seem to try to beat their horses into water/over fillers/whatever it is so it's lovely to hear about someone taking their time and getting a better, more long lasting result. :D

only_me

Visit site
He's so lovely! Such a sucker for a coloured, and he's fab - great pics.

Also, not to get on my moral high horse or anything here but well done for overcoming his fear of water monsters etc in such a nice, quiet way - so many people seem to try to beat their horses into water/over fillers/whatever it is so it's lovely to hear about someone taking their time and getting a better, more long lasting result. :D

Thank you :) If you tried to beat billy up you would very quickly end up on the floor I think- quite a sensitive soul who can't even cope with shouting! Perseverance appears to be the key with him :)
Hopefully long lasting - he can still have his moments :p

only_me

Visit site
Lol alice! You mightn't want the masses of white to wash at least 3 times before an event :p
Ah well, his legs don't get touched from now till he looses his winter coat - pink skin!

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Thank you :) If you tried to beat billy up you would very quickly end up on the floor I think- quite a sensitive soul who can't even cope with shouting! Perseverance appears to be the key with him :)
Hopefully long lasting - he can still have his moments :p

I would just like to add that, by the sounds of this you can deffo tell our horses are related :eek: Does he have hugw donkey ears like Annie to :p