Biothane straps

C1airey

I have a Christ Lamfelle bareback pad with biothane girth straps. They’re a PITA to do up as they’re so stiff and kind of grippy around the buckle tongues.

Do they soften at all? Or am I better changing them for leather?

ycbm

Change them for leather, they will begin to wear before they will ever soften. I have given up biothane bridles and gone back to leather.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
I have changed dozens and dozens of biothane girth straps on saddles, biothane will eventually crack across the web where the buckle tongue puts a strain on them and expose the interior webbing which will fray and break, awful stuff and even more of a pain to stitch when new whether by hand or on a machine. I would advise you to change them for rawhide straps, they have a breaking strain of around 5,500lbs per square inch and will last a whole lot longer than biothane ever will, Oz

C1airey

Thanks both, I’m doing a saddlery course so will see if we can have a girth-strap-changing lesson!

I can imagine it’s horrid to have to stitch. It seems to be even worse in cold weather, a whole bridle made from the stuff would drive me insane!

ycbm

I love not having to clean it but the damned stuff just doesn't last anywhere you need to fasten and unfasten it. It's also unforgiving if a horse bites it.