Bird Flu in Suffolk!

reynold

Visit site
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/latest/2007/animal-1112.htm

not this time it isn't - it's H5N1 and not good news on top of FMD and BT.

Yeah - it might well be another large 'factory' farm (at least teh poor things were genuinely free range) but it's another 6500 dead poultry and a hammer blow to the genuine farmers in the region now stuffed with more restrictions on top of BT restrictions in a run up to the most profitable time of the year for poultry farms....

now if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd reckon there was something odd about the FMD and BT restrictions at the sale time for lambs and now poultry restrictions running up to Xmas - is there someone or some organisation out there that really hates farmers ???

clarejones

Visit site
We own a 10,000 free range egg farm and have had nobody contact us from defra yet advising us whether to keep birds locked in or not! It's ironic this has happend because me and mu husband only went to doctors the other day for flu jabs!! Fingers crossed it doesn't spread

reynold

Visit site
ah - but that's DEFRA

don't tell you what they want you to do (or very slow to do so)
but very very fast to fine you for not doing whatever (esp. when they've failed to tell you what they want you to do)

I'd put undercover if you are in the zone - think that is on the website

The Voice

Visit site
you women are alway complaining!! We have got man flu in Essex which is far worse and do we get the headlines!!
grin.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
Heard on BBC radio this morning that the farmer concerned also has geese, and geese do not thrive if kept confined. Likely that they will be destroyed as a precautionary measure. The place is not far from a lake where migratory birds come, and they of course can spread the disease further afield.

reynold

Visit site
5000 turkeys
1000 geese
500 ducks

and NOW - **24000** birds at 4 related farms

REdgrave haven't had any 'movements' BUT they are a subsidiary of Gressingham that own the other 4 farms and the 5 units share staff

so now a total of 30000 birds massacred.

whilst redgrave state they haven't had any european imports.....Gressingham so far have NOT stated that and it is possible they could have imported poults from Czech or Germany where there have been AI outbreaks over the summer

BMatthews action replay ????

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We've got the disinfectant mats out at work as apart from having TB's and Arabs, we are a large shooting estate with pheasants, partridges, geese and ducks. One of the farms which is culling as a precaution is just a mile or two from work at Knettishall.