Bit advice and guidance

C123

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Am looking for some advice on bits or exercises that I could try on my 16.2hh ISH, who is super strong when it comes to jumping. I currently have him in a Dutch gag with a French link, but still find I haven’t got much control or breaks when jumping!
Any advice would be great :)
Thanks

be positive

Visit site
What does your instructor say?

Definitely one for a trainer who can work through things with you, we could recommend numerous things to try but without seeing the problem they could make matters worse, if you don't have an instructor it would be worth finding one before wasting money on bits when it may be easily sorted by some correct training.

wattamus

Visit site
https://www.horsebitfit.com/
If your instructor has advised another bit then I would use this company. You get to try loads of different bits, see how your horse goes in them before you make a decision and you don’t buy off them so there’s no pressure.
Have you tried grid work, placing poles etc?
Agree with above though, first call would be to get an instructors advice (if you haven’t already) :)

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I'd suggest getting a good instructor and working on some more groundwork before going to a "stronger" bit. My mare gets excited at the sight of a pole on the ground, so we are doing a lot of work on getting her to listen and respect me

C123

Visit site
Thanks all.
I think I will defo be looking into getting a different instructor, as the one I have now suggested getting a 'stronger bit' because he is so strong jumping (fine on the flat tho) and I'd rather help fix the issue rather than just getting a hasher bit and doing nothing.
We tried canter poles, which was interesting, but by the end he really started to relax! Something positive :) Never tried a grid with him but up for giving it ago :)

Annagain

Visit site
Set up some canter poles like this l l l = l l l along the long side. (one canter stride apart, three canter strides for middle section) Start at one pace, do an upwards transition at the start of the poles (so come round corner in walk, trot at start of poles to begin with, once you've mastered that trot and canter) then come down a pace (or even two so trot to halt or canter to walk once you've mastered it) as you go through the poles in the middle and back up at the start of the next poles. Alter the pace on the opposite side, so either shorten or lengthen the trot / canter but come back to your starting pace to go round the corner back to the poles. This should help him learn that poles aren't the massively exciting thing he thinks they are and should have him waiting for the next instruction after a few goes. Worked wonders with my boy who gets excited / anxious when he sees poles.

You could also try a row of poles with a small jump at the end followed by a single pole 3 strides after the jump. The row of poles should help him not to rush and you should then aim to stop before the last pole.

be positive

Visit site
Thanks all.
I think I will defo be looking into getting a different instructor, as the one I have now suggested getting a 'stronger bit' because he is so strong jumping (fine on the flat tho) and I'd rather help fix the issue rather than just getting a hasher bit and doing nothing.
We tried canter poles, which was interesting, but by the end he really started to relax! Something positive :) Never tried a grid with him but up for giving it ago :)

If your instructor has never put a grid up to help you but tells you to use a stronger bit rather than address the issue then they either lack experience or are just too lazy to be getting your hard earned money, find someone with a better attitude and some tools in the box they can use to help.