Bit Advice - Move on from a Snaffle?

lizijj

Visit site
I have been riding my young horse in a French Snaffle with cheeks since he was broken (3 years ago), but had a lot of time turned away to mature - he's 17 hands, still growing, TBxID. He's not strong, in fact, is often very lazy going forward, but sometimes has a tizzy fit. Someone suggested we use a Pelham to try and engage his shape more. Any ideas?

hadfos

Visit site
I have been riding my young horse in a French Snaffle with cheeks since he was broken (3 years ago), but had a lot of time turned away to mature - he's 17 hands, still growing, TBxID. He's not strong, in fact, is often very lazy going forward, but sometimes has a tizzy fit. Someone suggested we use a Pelham to try and engage his shape more. Any ideas?

A pelham in a horse that isnt strong?WTF...why??My lad was broken and ridden in french links for 10yrs,best thing I ever did was buy a myler comfort snaffle,only wish I had bought it 10yrs ago :) my lad is 16.3 has a soft mouth and loves this bit :) ! It isnt the bit that engages shape,that comes from riding the horse through from behind into your hand,if you stick a strong bit in a soft mouth he will back off it!

lizijj

Visit site
Thanks, lovely to hear as I hate seeing so much iron and strong bits in horses mouths these days. It seems to be 'trendy' which is really sad. He has been cubbing and got a bit excited - would a Waterford be an idea for those occasions?

overdraft

Visit site
If it aint broke then don't fix it! I like french link snaffles but that's just my personal preference. Horses will often lean on a pelham. It isn't going to help him become rounder and more engaged. Correct schooling will do this.

hadfos

Visit site
Thanks, lovely to hear as I hate seeing so much iron and strong bits in horses mouths these days. It seems to be 'trendy' which is really sad. He has been cubbing and got a bit excited - would a Waterford be an idea for those occasions?

Yes sadly people are to quick to overbit rather than school these days,my lad gets a little strong at times,but his mouth is so soft he wouldnt appreciate a tug on a stronger bit as he dosnt need it,the myler seems to have solved all our problems,he mouths it well,relaxes in it (I found over time he learnt how to hang on the french links,we spent months schooling with help but he got so very heavy in one hand,I made the decision to buy the myler after trialing a friends,never looked back,he totally loves it)!!I have no personal experience of the waterford,but people seem to rate it x