BIT advice please

Rachntabby

Term Time: Manchester Holiday: Stoke-on-Trent
Visit site
i currently jump tabs in a normal french link snaffle but i need more control
crazy.gif

have got a waterford gag but she doesnt like the mouthpiece so would i be better getting
a) normal jointed gag (bit worried that she wont like the nutcracker action)
b) french link gag
or c) mullen mouth gag
btw not sure about her mouth configuration but i think she has a big tongue as she hates anything big in her mouth
unsure of what to try

forgot to add
with what reins also eg. 1 rein, 2 reins or roundings

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
What exactly is the problem that you think you need another bit?
Personally I would try to correct most problems by schooling the horse to listnen more to my aids which can then be used to more effect when jumping

Thanks

kerilli

Visit site
what about a pelham or kimblewick? it depends what she does really, how she is strong - leaning, with head down, with head up, or tucked in, hard to steer. more info required really, plus then it is just a case of trial and error, finding out what suits a particular horse and that rider's way of riding.

Rachntabby

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the problem that you think you need another bit?
Personally I would try to correct most problems by schooling the horse to listnen more to my aids which can then be used to more effect when jumping

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

i think she was taught to jump as high and as fast as poss when younger and her flatwork was terrible when i got her. i have reschooled her but with her being older everything takes twice as long she still rushes and gets very excited so i need something a bit stronger to hold her (i am doing lots of grids to stop her rushing) as i would rather keep a light contact on something stronger than hauling on her mouth in the snaffle
this is by no means a quick fix i just want something that suits her i would love to be able to jump her safely in a snaffle but thats not gonna happen unfortunately

Rachntabby

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
what about a pelham or kimblewick? it depends what she does really, how she is strong - leaning, with head down, with head up, or tucked in, hard to steer. more info required really, plus then it is just a case of trial and error, finding out what suits a particular horse and that rider's way of riding.

[/ QUOTE ]

she tends to be hard to steer and pulls. she tucks her head in and hops if i hold her too much
i ride with a light contact and dont mess with her head too much as that just annoys her

wendy42

Visit site
Maybe try a french link with either a three ring gag or hanging cheek, similar feel in her mouth for her but a bit of poll pressure for extra control.

Silverspring

Visit site
You can't go mullen if she's got a big tongue as it will squish her tongue down.

If she like the french link why not try a lozenge gag to start with, maybe just on the first hole and see how she responds to the poll pressure. If she's never been ridden in a bit with poll pressure I would spend a little tiem schooling in it so she doesn't freak as she tries to ping off toward the jump and all of a sudden feels pressure over the top of her head
smile.gif

I ride my lively mare in the myler combination but it's quite an expensive bit to try and discover they don't like it!