Bit advice please

hellfire

Visit site
Hi all new to the forum. I've been keeping horses for years and broken several now. My youngster who I'm training is proving a test of patient's to say the least! He's been in a full cheek Mullen happy mouth but now is too strong for it. The girl who rides him is 14 so double rein bits are a no no really. I've been looking at myler bits and was wondering if anyone has used them on strong horses? He needs a full cheek still for steering. I even borrowed a friend's lozenge combi bit and with the rein on the bottom ring he still wasn't keen on stopping! Any ideas welcome and experiences with the myler range please. Thanks

pennyturner

Visit site
Firstly, a 'strong' freshly broken pony needs to relax, and get used to the aids. Bitting up is not the answer.
You need to be very sure that the rider is light in the hand, and giving the pony back his mouth as soon as she feels him accept the contact.

If you're happy that he's relaxed and accepting the mullen, but just exciteable then I might try a kimblewick with a similar mouth, to encourage him to bend into your hand a little. Otherwise, I'd be hacking him around on a nice loose rein, doing not very much except walk trot transitions and steering practice until he's relaxed before I reached for anything different.

hellfire

Visit site
Thanks for that. I have been doing what you've said. He is relaxed in the mouth lovely contact etc etc. He gets carried away and she is not that strong. He's ok with me but I have problems riding now. I don't want to bit up I feel a Kimble would be too much. This is why I'm interested in myler level 1 as give clear signals. A Mullen mouth is limited with that. Just need someone who uses them.

pennyturner

Visit site
I don't think kimblewick/pelham is anything like as 'strong' as people make it out to be, but of course the hands are what matters.

Out of interest, is there a reason you're starting in a mullen, not a jointed bit? Have you tried an ordinary snaffle?

The other thing you could try to encourage him to soften more easily is to experiment with the bit material. I have one youngster who was a changed horse once I gave him a sweet iron and copper bit. Previously he'd been strong and resisted. He now sucks on his bit like a mint humbug and hasn't been strong since. Worth a try.

hellfire

Visit site
That's really usefull. Ive been looking at copper and sweet iron. I've not used them before. I know what you mean s bit is only as strong as the hands that use it. I worry as if Caitlin was to jab his mouth he's a temperamental horse. I started him in a Mullen as at that time its the only bit he would relax and take contact with. He was a wild stallion neglect case when I rescued him no joke while working at the swep sanctuary. He's 9 now so late starting but he wasn't ready before. He had so many other issues I've had to deal with first. I've looked at copper peanut bits. May be worth a try. He has changed a lot so may be better in one. My friends lozenge bit he resisted quite badly. Had his teeth back etc checked but he's fussy in the mouth. Did u find copper or sweet iron best?

Tnavas

Visit site
Hi Hellfire, have you checked the condition of the bit lately. The Happymouth range are fine when new but if chewed on become rough with sharp areas. These can make horses very unhappy in the mouth.

You also mention Mullen mouth - this could be your problem, a Mullen mouth is generally used in early education to allow the horse to develop confidence in the bit. Yours sounds confident - time for a change to a grown up bit - I'd try the same cheek, or a hanging cheek with a joint. I suggest a hanging cheek as the upper arms work like the cheeks do to help with turning.

I'd also have teeth checked regularly, 6 monthly for babies as they are loosing their baby teeth and a lodged cap can cause many problems.

hellfire

Visit site
Hi, As i said hes not a baby really at 9 lol. I do have his teeth checked ever 6months anyway and they were last done 2 months back no problems. The mullen mouth is in perfect condition. Hes very settled and happy with it no chewing etc just as you say may now be too confident with that bit. The first bit he had was a happy mouth peanut roller. I tried twice with them and no matter how i adjusted it he managed to chew it some how! Thats why the mullen mouth came about. Hes very sound in it. Ive just ordered a full cheek copper lozenge bit so going to see how he gets on.
Id had thoughts on hanging cheeks but heard some issues with how peoples horses went in them. Stiffer etc. Then again a mullen mouth can make a horse feel wooden apparently and ive not had that. Guess its just a expensive trial and error!

Fides

Visit site
I use a hanging cheek to start all my youngsters as I find they are stiller in the mouth than a loose ring making them quieter in the mouth. Alternatively if you want to use full cheeks for steering (which I fully understand) could you use a fulmer with keepers which would also keep the bit more still in the mouth.

hellfire

Visit site
I've been useing keepers and just not working. This new bit will be here next week so will see how he gets on. My local tack supplies don't do a good selection. If not ill try a hanging cheek. What mouth piece do you use? Do you find it ok for strong horses?