Bit advice please

nativepony

Visit site
Sorry I know this has been done a million times. I have a very strong section D that I ride in a loose ring Waterford. I’m having trouble with my brakes out hacking and feel I need to try a different bit. Her old owner always used a Pelham and I’m thinking that perhaps this was with good reason! So, thinking I may change to a Pelham if only for hacking but unsure as to which one? Thinking low port (Cambridge/rugby) and please don’t shoot me down in flames but have never used 2 reins before so should I use roundings??? Am happy to learn how to use 2 reins but would roundings just be easier and do the job? Just feel I am constantly hauling on her mouth at the moment. Thanks for any advice 😊

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Depends what you want really. Roundings are sort of easier but you have no finesse. If you're just hacking this might not be a problem for you, but if you're schooling in it it is nicer to be able to use each rein as necessary. You just get a better contact too without the clumpy roundings in the way. Riding with 2 reins isn't that hard once you get the hang of it.

As for which pelham, if the last owner had success with one I'd ask them which it was. If that's not an option I'd do same as you, start with a Cambridge mouth and see if I felt I needed to change it. Its a common bit so ask around and you might be able to borrow one to try before buying one of your own. Or borrow whatever other types your friends will lend you, because at least you'd get an idea of if there's anything in particular the horse likes/hates.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sorry I know this has been done a million times. I have a very strong section D that I ride in a loose ring Waterford. I’m having trouble with my brakes out hacking and feel I need to try a different bit. Her old owner always used a Pelham and I’m thinking that perhaps this was with good reason! So, thinking I may change to a Pelham if only for hacking but unsure as to which one? Thinking low port (Cambridge/rugby) and please don’t shoot me down in flames but have never used 2 reins before so should I use roundings??? Am happy to learn how to use 2 reins but would roundings just be easier and do the job? Just feel I am constantly hauling on her mouth at the moment. Thanks for any advice ��
I think you will get a lot of conflicting advice her, I find the Bitbank and bit hire really helpfull with bitting advice

https://www.horsebitbank.com/

http://www.horsebithire.com/

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would try a s/steel mullen mouth to start with, with 2 reins, curb fitted softly through the rings and not hooked directly from hook to hook at the back of the bit.
I'd get you to ride in enclosed area till you feel/look competant in bring able to effectively use the reins independently, just my thoughts tho.

Hope you find something to work. Chat to bit bank, they might well recco something like a kimblewick, I prefer a Pelham tho :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Two reins are best imo, you can use the snaffle rein most of the time and pick up the curb rein to give you more brakes as and when you need them. Either literally leave the curb rein on the neck until needed or better, leave it loose and just bring it into play when necessary.

ozpoz

Visit site
Some horses prefer the action of a pelham type bit so I'd find out from his previous owner what he went well in and then have a lesson to make sure you feel comfortable with two reins. I wouldn't use roundings personally, but do as Pearlasinger suggests.