Bit advice

tabithakat64

Visit site
My chunky and relatively unschooled welsh D is currently ridden in a eggbutt mouth fulmer snaffle, he's still unbalanced and on the forehand at times.
Would another type of bit help me bring him off the forehand? If so what?
Would a loose ring fulmer be more helpful with steering?
What would the benefits of a french link mouth piece be?
(I'm not a big gadget fan, preferring rider effort and having lessons and every horse and pony I've had or ridden has had a snaffle of some type and been happy in that.....)
confused.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Your chunky D probably has a chunky tongue and using a single joint snaffle is introducing bits as uncomfortable due to nutcracker & poking the roof of the mouth.

Regardless of the cheek change to a lozenge or french link asap - also try and keep the mouthpeice under 16mm in diameter to allow swallowing and being able to close the mouth.

At this stage in the schooling a fulmer v full cheek will make no difference with regards to being on the forehand. You need to push from behind, but have a comfotable bit for your horse to accept - not a single joint!!!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
My lad has just changed to a Nue Schule Comfy Contact snaffle and it is brilliant. Lets you pick them up off the forehand, but is very mild. Has independent side action so can pick up only one side if need be. is much much kinder aswell and is sweet iron.