Bit advice

Sallyanne95

Visit site
I have recently bought a new horse who his old owner rode in a waterford Dutch gag through personal preference. But said he would be fine in a waterford snaffle or even a normal jointed snaffle.

I was thinking a waterford Dutch gag bit because with in theory if I kept it on the normal hole would it be the sane as a waterford snaffle but if I go hunting I can drop it a hole for extra breaks (this is what the old owner did)

what are people's opinion on the waterford Dutch gag as I have actually never heard of one before getting this horse. He does go we'll in one I've had some people saying it's harsh but others saying in the right hands on the right horse it's not harsh?

Thank you in advance.

Moomin1

Visit site
Waterfords can be extremely harsh bits when put to use or in the wrong hands. I personally would steer clear unless the horse is strong or has a tendency to lean heavily on the hand. Coupled with a gag, used on anything other than the snaffle ring, then I would say that it's pretty harsh going on a horse.

It all depends OP on your horse and how strong they can be, and whether schooling may improve the issue so that you can ditch the waterford gag and go with something milder.