Bit advice

Mambo81

New User
Visit site
I use a tom thumb for strong ex racer but lately finding him very heavy in my hands especially in open spaces. Looking for suggestions on a different bit to make him lighter. I’ve been recommended tom thumb waterford?? Pros and cons to this bit

Barbersboy

New User
Visit site
I have an 8 year old Cob, big set lad and likes to lean on the bit and use his shoulders against me. Best thing I did was change into a waterford snaffle for a month. He was instantly lighter in the mouth and because its a effectively a "chain" in his mouth it made me think about my hands and position. Never sounds right when I type it but hope you understand what i mean?
I will come back out of the waterford after a couple of weeks as he respects it and then back to my hanging cheek snaffle and the learning curve will help us both. I took advice from a very good friend and instructor before trying this

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like bits with 2 reins for horses which like to lean, you can use the snaffle rein most of the time and then when the leaning starts bring the curb rein into play.