Bit Advise!

Shoei

Visit site
Afternoon,

I wondered if anyone could give me some bitting advice.

I have a Gelderlander with a typically large tongue and low pallet (his tongue bulges out of the side of his teeth when relaxed). He was broken last May and turned away before I got him before Christmas. Broken in a copper, loose ring snaffle with peanut and flash noseband. When I had him I rode him without the flash and he was getting his tongue over the bit. Dentist out, teeth sorted and back checked. He still isn’t happy in his bit and is inconsistent when taking the contact. I have tried him in a combination of Grackle, flash and caveson nosebands and;
Mullen mouth Pelham – Hated, tongue over straight away. Lasted 5 min.
Ported Kimblewick – No tongue over but still very focused on mouth
Fixed cheek French link – same as loose ring

Sometimes he will be okay and work after 10 min warm up and then others, like yesterday, he will lock me out, hollow and twist his head. The result of the battle yesterday was a small sore on his cheek (this was in his loose ring) which I feel terrible about. The bit fits at ¾ extra than his mouth and he has a 3 wrinkle smile. He is obviously still not happy with his mouth and I would rather get it sorted than just strap it up if I can.

I have contacted a bit bank for advise but wondered if any of you fine people had any bit recommendations?

Thanks
Shoei

canteron

Visit site
I had similar problem. The problem wasn't in fact the bit!! It required a very different style of riding. Essentially I now follow the 'Phillipe Karl'/European classical style of riding (light but consistent contact with lots of emphasis on flexibility in the neck, lengthening it and lots of lots of neck flexions and shoulder in, etc).

Now, my horse rarely even thinks about getting its tounge over the bit as it was just a symptom that he was very tense and possibly in pain. I now ride more with my seat and less with my hands, in a NS loose ring french link - or sometimes a fixed french link snaffle with cheeks. Now, after quite a lot of time, he is much stronger overall and especially in his back and neck and doesn't need to 'express himself' in his mouth.

So, IMO, if your horse is unhappy in his mouth, he may be trying to tell you something, so I would abandon tools that just clamp his mouth shut as a) then he may well express it in another less pleasant way and b) in is an indicator of when you are on the right track of solving the problem

Appreciate that your issue may well be just a bit issue, but for me it was a matter of changing my riding so the horse was happy.

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks Canteron.... I will have a look into this and see if this makes him any happier. At the moment we are both just so frustrated!

oldjumper

Visit site
I'm sure you'll get as many suggestions as there are bits! You're doing the right thing using a bit bank because it can take a lot of trial and error to find the key to a tricky mouth.
Two bits I've found suited a horse with similar sounding mouth/tongue are; a dutch gag (3 ring bubble bit) with a french link mouthpiece - use on second ring only and a ported Myler barrel eggbut. This is for a more finished horse (and rider) but if ridden with lightness and sympathy gives the tongue room and transmits subtle instructions without force.
If you need a noseband, I wouldn't use a flash - they're horrible things, neither one thing or the other. Much better use a drop or a grackle. If the 'locking up' is due to him crossing his jaw at the top, you may find a 'mexican grackle' better as it crosses higher up the face. If all else fails, you could try bitless?
Have you lunged him in tack? Is the evasion of the bit still there without hands holding the reins?
Also, given he is still relatively young and green, it may be some of the resistance is due to discomfort/tiredness in other parts of his body which will hopefully improve as he gets fitter.

budley95

Visit site
I have a hors that gets his tongue over the bit or puts the bit between his teeth, and strangely with his low pallet and large tongue (he bit through his in the field as well so is there scaring which makes it unlevel) he goes best in his loose ring cherry roller snaffle with a flash. He also will acceppt a french link pelham with 2 reins

mulberrymill

Visit site
I had similar issues and went through many bits. He is now happy in a tongue saver with lozenge in hanging cheek. Its a cotswold sports own. Its now a long time since he even thought about getting his tongue over. I also recently changed to a micklem bridle, which seems to be the last piece in the puzzle. One happy horse now making progress pretty quickly