Bit experts

rcm_73

Visit site
I'm interested in any suggestions people can make for a bit to hack out in that will give me some brakes as have just moved yards and there's lots of off road canters. The horse is a 17 yr old TB mare, been around the block a few times (BSJA & racing) and although isn't hard mouthed at a walk (or jog as is usually the case) once she gets into trot she would just go faster and faster and gets quite heavy in the hands and although the head goes down at this point she can still throw it up before plunging it down again. Not sure what it is she's doing but her mouth just seems to totally disappear once she gets into an extended trot and anything faster. She snatches the reins a lot, tosses her head about has rather high head carriage a lot of the time, jogs and now and again sticks her tongue out of the side of her mouth. As she is highly excitable I know she will get away from me and end up dangerous to me, herself and others so am wondering if there's anything anyone can recommend. Have a tom thumb scrob in the tack room but would that raise her head even more? Currently is ridden in a NS eggbutt lozenge and drop or grackle noseband.
Teeth and back are checked regularly btw.

helenhorse

Visit site
souns exactly like one of our new horses..i would get a hanging cheek...worked a dream for ours that did exactly the same and i have schooled her in it and got her to drop here nose and work through!
grin.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
Presumably her teeth have been checked and she is just excited? Could try a Dr Bristol for head lowering or a Pelham. Just a suggestion, I am not an expert. I am not a fan on Dutch gag bits, but Neule Schule do a version of it with a translozenge. I think its called a Universal and its great because it is not as severe as a gag due to the positioning of the top ring. It helped with my horse when he got a bit excited on a hack. He used to put his head between his legs, chin on the girth and buck and twist and prance for all he was worth even after a teeth and saddle check.

Its not necessarily the bit, but how it is used.

Could try a bit bank.

Hope you find a solution soon.

archie1

Visit site
neue schule universal lozenge bit - the most amazing bit ever made!! also has leather curb if you need it but suits a mad anglo arab to hack up to hunting who does all of the same when excited!!

rcm_73

Visit site
Hi yeah she has her teeth done and had bit seat put in but she's still the same, I put it down to her just being a highly excitable and anxious mare. Might give the NS universal a go, I like her NS eggbutt but I know she could easily run through it if she got a pace up. I'm actually quite tempted to give Dr Cook's BB a go as this mare has a history of being difficult to bit and was ridden in a hackamore before I got her but I don't want to go down that road with her as I've spent ages ridding her of the awful ewe neck she'd developed!

perfectpolly

Visit site
i have a mare exactly the same--have been trying out different bits over the last few months-eventually settled on a grackle noseband with a d-ring with copper rollers, as she really liked it and frothed up at the mouth alot.
however, now back to the drawing board, because too strong when cantering. will still use this bit for schooling, but need extra brakes--will follow this thread with interest.