Bit for 7 year old horse with head shaking issues

bethan1

Visit site
We have just bought a 15.1hh connemara who is perfect if a little green but that is to be expected! However he shakes his head around and bobs his head un-naturally. It may be because he is young but we do not want it to develop into a horrible habit! He is ridden in a french link eggbutt snaffle at the moment with a bridle designed to reduce poll pressure and no martingale although we do own one. A bit with a lozenge has been suggested. What do people think the best bit for him is? Will a martingale help or not?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's not really about the bit, but about how you ride him and his quality of training - how he responds to the signals you give him. An evaluation with a good instructor should give you some guidance and show you how to progress.

bethan1

Visit site
It's not really about the bit, but about how you ride him and his quality of training - how he responds to the signals you give him. An evaluation with a good instructor should give you some guidance and show you how to progress.
Thank you. Yes we have had a professional to help us and it is mostly a case of pushing him forward more into the bit. However he suggested the lozenge as it gives him something to play with? I was just wondering if there is a specific type of lozenge or shape anybody could recommend. Thanks again x

bethan1

Visit site
A martingale would stop him chucking his head up but it's not going to fix the problem. Have you checked him for wolf teeth?

Dentist is coming next week however we have only have him three weeks and before this had a five stage vetting done. I don't particularly want to just force him to stop but want it more to be his choice (that made no sense haha). He jumps in a martingale but we don't want him to wear one at all times unless it is absolutely crucial. Thank you for the reply x

SpringArising

Visit site
Dentist is coming next week however we have only have him three weeks and before this had a five stage vetting done. I don't particularly want to just force him to stop but want it more to be his choice (that made no sense haha). He jumps in a martingale but we don't want him to wear one at all times unless it is absolutely crucial. Thank you for the reply x

Dentist is a good idea. He might have a couple of blind wolf teeth that are annoying him. Have you tried him bitless to see if he's the same?

bethan1

Visit site
Dentist is a good idea. He might have a couple of blind wolf teeth that are annoying him. Have you tried him bitless to see if he's the same?
No we haven't tried him bitless actually! May get my instructor to help me try him without the bit next time she comes, thanks. Hopefully the dentist will check him and he can be more comfortable if it is blind wolf teeth as you suggested x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thank you. Yes we have had a professional to help us and it is mostly a case of pushing him forward more into the bit. However he suggested the lozenge as it gives him something to play with? I was just wondering if there is a specific type of lozenge or shape anybody could recommend. Thanks again x

Ummm, there's a bit more to it than that actually, and just pushing him on is not going to cure contact issues - there are two ends to a contact, the horse is only on one of them...... and if you are riding with a french link then there is already "something for him to play with". It is a good idea to start with a dental exam, but a properly ridden horse should be able to hold the bit in his mouth without contacting the teeth.

Asha

Visit site
After going through this with my lad I would look at all options. Starting with dentist, once that is ruled out ask your trainer to ride him. If he still does it with trainer, then try some different bits. My chap is very sensitive, we tried loads of bits, and the one he loves is rubber straight bar. So hes ridden on flat / hacking in that. Then for jumping hes in a rubber gag. I'm just about to upgrade to a nathe bit, as we've worked out he likes non metal and bendy.

Also might be worth checking your noseband too. Is it too tight ?

Failing all that, id get a vet check up

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I'd try a dentist, a bungee rein (you can ride or longe with them- elastic contact that doesn't fidget or fix the head in any particular position)... but honestly if his mouth is fussy maybe try a mullen mouth snaffle with a fixed ring (dee or eggbut as opposed to a loose ring)- helped my horse loads, she resisted the bit but it turns out all those links and lozenges were just too much noise and she preferred something that just sat quietly in the mouth.

Tegan

Visit site
I have had the same issue. A Micklem bridle and straightbar happy mouth eggbutt snaffle has made a huge difference. The bit was suggested by my physio who has seen it work with others.

My instructor is amazed at the improvement.

I am sure she would go nicely bitless and I have longreined her in the Micklem bridle on the mild bitless setting. However my main interest is dressage so I need her to accept a bit.

Clare85

Visit site
Did he headshake during his 5 stage vetting? If so, I would be concerned that your vet didn't pick this up. It can be a major welfare issue as is often caused by facial pain (characteristically shown by the involuntary up and down jerking of the head).

Does he show any other accompanying traits - blowing his nose a lot, rubbing his face, etc? Does his still shake his head on a long rein with zero contact? Have you noticed a pattern to the headshaking, e.g. worse in certain situations?

I would certainly have his teeth checked and also have a chat with your vet. Maybe take some video of his headshaking and send it to your vet to review.

rachk89

Visit site
Does the bridle fit? My horse was head shaking recently because the browband was too tight. I was an idiot for having not noticed but there we are. Changed that and no head shaking he is even easier to put the bridle on too no issues anymore.

Also check when his teeth were last done or just get them checked anyway. Again my horse will head shake with even the slightest bit of sharpness on his teeth he is quite sensitive.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
yes to getting everything checked, teeth, bridle fit etc etc. If you’re really lucky it will be something that simple.

At 7 my concern would be that this already is an engrained habit. Did he do it when you tried him? Had him vetted? What did the vet have to say about it?

It may or may not be true headshaking (but a lot of headshakers show less symptoms at this time of year if it’s pollen/season/light induced). I had a 6 year old mare who did what you describe - she didnt do it when I tried her, looking back there were some subtle signs. After every check being done, my RI advised me that she thought it was evasion and to ride her through it, shut up and get on with it and and work on getting the back and front connected more. I had minimal success tbh but with my RI riding her regularly she cracked it and she didn’t do it with her - just a better, stronger, more consistent rider than me.