Bit for Sec A

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
We have a wonderful section A for loan for the winter for us to get used to the idea of having a small pony for DD. It's going really really well. DD is super keen and they have been off the lead rein for the last two ride, trotting steadily round tonight (with the help of balance reins, very good idea those are).

He is in a thick rubber snaffle that he chews pretty much constantly. He is getting better to get the bit in, but I'm wondering about something else. When ridden into a contact, which DD is surprisingly getting better at, he settles a little with the chewing. He is a pretty whizzy pony but stops when asked and is controllable for DD with the balance reins on.

Any ideas for a bit for a little sec a?

blitznbobs

Visit site
same as any other horse. section a's tend to have very small mouths so may be more comfortable in a thinner bit. but is he mouthing the bit or is he getting the bit between his teeth. If he's mouthing that's not necessarily bad, if he's getting it between his teeth he may chew through it eventually which could be very very bad. examine the bit. if its being literally chewed, id put him in something metal so that it's less likely to snap!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We have a wonderful section A for loan for the winter for us to get used to the idea of having a small pony for DD. It's going really really well. DD is super keen and they have been off the lead rein for the last two ride, trotting steadily round tonight (with the help of balance reins, very good idea those are).

He is in a thick rubber snaffle that he chews pretty much constantly. He is getting better to get the bit in, but I'm wondering about something else. When ridden into a contact, which DD is surprisingly getting better at, he settles a little with the chewing. He is a pretty whizzy pony but stops when asked and is controllable for DD with the balance reins on.

Any ideas for a bit for a little sec a?

I just have my welshy in a full cheek snaffle for riding

WelshD

Visit site
My sec A has a full cheek single joint happy mouth as that's what he is happiest in but I wouldn't suggest that's a great bit generally!

For my small ponies I tend to choose Bradoon bits as they are dinkier all round, something with a small mouthpiece. Cheeks are useful as they help with steering

Magic bits can be useful and are usually nice and small, I'm not the biggest fan of bevel bits but there is no doubt that some ponies just love them and they do help with strong ponies

NS and Fylde make lovely scaled down pony bits but they are pricey!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It's a mumsnet thing DD darling daughter DS darling son DH darling husband. I'm not a fan of mumsnet it's a dreadful site.

Never heard of the term and would never use the sight - I thought DD was a abbreviation for the posters initials or a user name on here like an old poster called DD

DaisyMoo

Visit site
Never heard of the term and would never use the sight - I thought DD was a abbreviation for the posters initials or a user name on here like an old poster called DD

Hey ilc. Sadly a lot of mumsnet quirks (a site which I do not and never will use, although daily mail must have shares in them for the amount of articles they run on it) are popping up on this site. Although I'm really hoping this forum does turn into that one. Like I've said its a terrrible site full of bullying abuse and crude comments/ topics along with the godawful darling everything abbreviations.

Sorry OP for hijacking your post x

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd definitely try a thinner metal mouthpiece :)

if we ban the use of DD, do we have to ditch AIBU too because I like that one :p

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I'd ask the owners if they've ever tried anything different

She's just tried single jointed and French link snaffle I think. I'll double check though.

Ugh that's nauseating

Sorry, didn't make you want to vomit. I've never been on mumsnet and saw DD on this forum, years and years ago actually. I'm lazy and don't want to type too much on my phone if I can help it with my fat fingers.

I'd definitely try a thinner metal mouthpiece :)

if we ban the use of DD, do we have to ditch AIBU too because I like that one :p
AIBU????

I'm off to YHL at the weekend so might have a look about . He has a pretty tiny mouth with a low pallet and big tongue so a small mouthpiece is a good idea. Thank you 😊

lrw0250

Visit site
My "DD's" Section A is happy with a loose ring magic snaffle, much more so than the single and double jointed snaffles we had previously tried her in. It seems to suit her dinky little mouth.