Bit getting stuck between front and canine teeth

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Has anyone ever had this issue?

My horse is lead with a bit and a slip head, at the moment, because our fields are a 15 min walk down some slippery wet hills, so we lead as a pair! he has been known to be a pain but with a bit in he's like a new horse!

well the other morning I went to take the slip head off and the bit got caught and he chucked his head in the air, which made it a pain to get it out! I thought maybe I'd not loosened the leap rope enough but my YM mentioned that he does that a lot when she brings him in!

I got them in last night and I pulled the lead rope so it was really loose and he did the same thing again!

but to make it more confusing, he's never done this when I take his bridle off?

Now the only difference is the type of bit! he is ridden in a standard thickness full cheek French link snaffle. and the bit I've been leading him in, is one of my YM's. its a loose ring French link snaffle looking bit but is about 3 or 4 times thicker than his ridden bit! I put an old full cheek snaffle on this morning and when I put him out it didn't get stuck!

so wondering if its common for horses to do this if the bit is too fat?

Shavings

Visit site
maybe worth getting the dentist out?

i know some horses need the Canine teeth trimming back (once of kinda thing) as they are to long and can course pain/discomfort and even cut the side of the tongue.

im sure a more knowledge member will be along to give more in-site/help

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Good point, I will be having his teeth done next month, as they didn't need doing when I had the vet out for his vaccinations!

These canine teeth are a right pain! they have only just started coming through, and one looked sore so I had the vet out at the beginning of Jan and she wasn't concerned, then he was due teeth and vaccinations at the end of Jan, so they were checked again then and still didn't need doing, but he did say to have them checked in 3 months! and the one that looked sore has come through the gum properly now!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
The doubt the bit is stuck, he's just not spitting it out. My guess is he doesn't associate being lead with wearing a bit so he's just forgetting to spit it out. Also if it's a hollow bit and lighter than he's used to he could just be forgetting it's in his mouth at all. Cheek snaffles are fairly heavy.

One clunk in the teeth from the bit on removing it and now he's afraid of it happening again. So clamps his jaw shut and throws his head up from fear, therefore ensuring he gets clunked in the teeth again :rolleyes3: . When you go to remove the bit ask him to open his mouth at the same time as you pull the headpiece off over his ears. Just the same as you'd ask him to open up so you can put it in. I find a finger pressed on the gum at the side of the mouth, where the bit is, works well. Alternatively lead him out in the heavier bit. If you need a second one ebay has bits for sale at about 1/4 of the full price usually.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Right okay, so I got him in earlier, and he tried to do it again, with the full cheek snaffle, but I did put my thumb in, which seemed to help.

Then I rode and when we came back he did the same thing with his bridle, so this is the first time he's done it!

Both times I noticed it was the right hand side of his mouth that is causing the issue! so I checked his teeth and the canine tooth at the top of his month has just started to come through! its taken a lot longer than the other 3 canines! so I' wondering if the bit is knocking on it and hurting at the moment! its literally only about 1 or 2mm through the gum, so guess its a bit tender!

Think I'll get his teeth done now, rather than waiting until next month! although I'm not sure there is much they can do for that!!

Suelin

Visit site
I turn my boy out in a chifney. He is a pest otherwise. When I take it off I unbuckle the head strap and hold the bit so that he gently lets go. Maybe you could try this and give him a polo or something to get him to relax before you let him off so that he is more focussed on you rather than chucking his head about.