Bit guards?

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
New horsey came with bit guards on his bridle. Is there a reason these would be necessary? Bit is a Jeffries Harmony. If possible I may remove them, as I'm not sure they benefit him in any way and they look a bit strange as they stick out. Unsure.

dibbin

Visit site
I'd assume it's to stop the corners of his mouth being pinched if the bit rings rotate. Having said that, I ride in a loose ring (Neue Schule verbindend) and that's never been an issue.

In fact, the only time I've ever put bit guards on was also the only time the horse has ever put his tongue over the bit!

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
He's not particularly strong, doesn't fidget in the mouth, prev owner sometimes used a flash?? But I don't like them so not using one. Could this have been why she was using bit guards?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
He's not particularly strong, doesn't fidget in the mouth, prev owner sometimes used a flash?? But I don't like them so not using one. Could this have been why she was using bit guards?

Why don't you ask her? The ususal reasons for using bit guards are: to stop the bit rubbing the corners of the mouth; to stop the bit being pulled through the mouth; to make a too-large bit fit; fashion (i.e. no reason :)

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Why don't you ask her? The ususal reasons for using bit guards are: to stop the bit rubbing the corners of the mouth; to stop the bit being pulled through the mouth; to make a too-large bit fit; fashion (i.e. no reason :)

Is there a reason a bit WOULD rub out of interest? Would it be an indication of bad fit/too high in the mouth? Haven't encountered a horse who needs them yet! I'll give her a message, been trying to give her a little space as I've only had him a month and she loved him dearly so didn't want to make it harder for her :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Bits generally pinch because they are too small, but some horses are just really sensitive. Does the horse have pink lips by any chance?

P.S. Can be caused by bad riding too....

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Bits generally pinch because they are too small, but some horses are just really sensitive. Does the horse have pink lips by any chance?

P.S. Can be caused by bad riding too....

Nope, he's a chestnut so dark/grey lips, but they can have sensitive skin I've heard?

Fiona

Visit site
I'd keep them on for a bit while you're getting used to each other, and then if you still don't 'like' them have a wee trial without, and see how you get on.

I must admit my 15yo TB is ridden in a loose ring bit, and I've never moved the bit guards I added when we broke her (apart from for dressage tests obviously)

Fiona

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I'd keep them on for a bit while you're getting used to each other, and then if you still don't 'like' them have a wee trial without, and see how you get on.

I must admit my 15yo TB is ridden in a loose ring bit, and I've never moved the bit guards I added when we broke her (apart from for dressage tests obviously)

Fiona

Yeah I don't want to remove them if they're there for a reason, but a lot of people use things because thats just how they've always done it as such!

MadEventer

New User
Visit site
Are they the gel guards that grip round the bit and go slightly inside the mouth, or the basic circles that stay outside? The gel ones are generally used if the horse is prone to cutting the inside on their mouth. I use these on mine who has ridiculously sensitive skin (she's not even pink skinned) and if she gets strong on a hack it can split the corners of her mouth open which takes a good month to heal! If he has these I'd be careful about taking them off as if they do split their mouth its a nightmare to heal up. The basic ones are generally if the skin round the mouth gets rubbed, but a lot of people just put them on for the sake of it. In this case I'd try taking them off and just check his mouth carefully after each ride to check for any rubs.

Best thing if you're able to is to ask the old owner if he needs them or not! :)

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Are they the gel guards that grip round the bit and go slightly inside the mouth, or the basic circles that stay outside? The gel ones are generally used if the horse is prone to cutting the inside on their mouth. I use these on mine who has ridiculously sensitive skin (she's not even pink skinned) and if she gets strong on a hack it can split the corners of her mouth open which takes a good month to heal! If he has these I'd be careful about taking them off as if they do split their mouth its a nightmare to heal up. The basic ones are generally if the skin round the mouth gets rubbed, but a lot of people just put them on for the sake of it. In this case I'd try taking them off and just check his mouth carefully after each ride to check for any rubs.

Best thing if you're able to is to ask the old owner if he needs them or not! :)

The top ones, they grip round the edge of the bit, acavello ones!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
New horsey came with bit guards on his bridle. Is there a reason these would be necessary? Bit is a Jeffries Harmony. If possible I may remove them, as I'm not sure they benefit him in any way and they look a bit strange as they stick out. Unsure.

stop any pinching and also stops sore mouths in cold weather if they mouth a lot. I prefer bit guards on some of my bridles

Annagain

Visit site
My boy has them on his waterford gag as he has huge fleshy lips and they get caught in the loose ring, until I found one big enough (6 1/4" - had to have it made specially!) his lips would even ooze through the hole in the bit guards and still get caught in the loose ring, which must have been so painful bless him. I still smother his lips in Vaseline if he wears the gag although that's only for fun rides these days so only a few times a year. He's fine with his hanging cheek which he wears at all other times.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I havent adjusted tack since its arrival, aside from dropping noseband a couple holes as too high, but putting his bridle on is pretty hard to get it over his ears. Its hard to see how many wrinkles by the bit due to the bit guards, but would this make it more likely to split the sides of his mouth w/o bit guards, could maybe be the reason he has them on? Doesn't seem the type to pull, although have yet to try speed on grass haha!

Annagain

Visit site
Pulling doesn't seem have anything to do with it, they either rub or they don't in my epxperience. You should be able to check the wrinkles by gently peeling the top of the guard away from his mouth at the front and having a look behind - just make sure you pull it outwards not upwards so the mouthpiece still sits where it normally would.

pennyturner

Visit site
I like them on the straight bar rubber snaffles I use on a driving pair. Wouldn't use them ridden, unless with a green youngster in lieu of a full cheek, or to help a little rider, like Emma's mummy.