Bit help

lovecharles

17year old 16.2hh IDxTB needs some brakes! When his old owners came to see him the other day, they went pale when i told them I ride him in a snaffle. I alwasy thought he was a bit strng :p
anyway, they said to get him in a Kimblewick with chain and a market harborough.
i have never ridden in anything other than snaffle and cavesson or falsh noseband. Any information on either pieces of tack and how to use them will be much appriciated!

millitiger

if you are happy in the snaffle why change?

and what does he do to be strong? head up, head down, leaning, crossing his jaw?

hellybelly6

A Market Harborough is for horses who tend to have a high head carriaged and it is used to help them round rather than a control device.

A Kimblewick is a good bit for horses who again have a high head carriage as the action of the bit lowers the head.

As you feel he is strong, have you considered a flash, trans-lozenge linked snaffle and a running martingale? Your horse could be throwing his head up due to the nutcracker action of a single jointed snaffle and trying to avoid the squeezing of this tongue and the mouth piece digging into the roof of his mouth.