Bit help!

landf

Visit site
I am having real problems finding a suitable bit for my horse. He doesn't like any kind of link and just fiddles with them constantly, so I tried him in a rubber mullen mouth snaffle. He seems to really like it and goes very nicely in it. However, it rubs him inside the corners of his mouth. The skin becomes dry and cracked. It's not the loose ring pinching as it's inside the corners rather than the usual place - I've also tried going up half an inch in size and it doesn't help. I've tried using the Acavallo gel bit guards but they don't help. I've tried applying Vaseline and bit butter - neither help! I tried a magic bit but he didn't like it much either.....

Has anyone had a similar experience and found something that helped? Or can anyone suggest a bit to try?

I haven't tried a happy mouth as I suspect I will have the same rubbing issues. Is nathe less likely to rub than rubber?

Jo1987

Visit site
Rubber - soft or hard can cause rubs, happy mouth is less likely to rub, or you could try a metal mullen mouth? Have a look at the horse bit bank/shop, might give you some inspiration.

landf

Visit site
Thanks. He's 4. The happy mouths are actually harder than the rubber..... I've known of happy mouths to also cause rubbing which is what has stopped me trying them up til now - that and the fact I've loaned the 2 I have to someone and not yet had them returned.

I've trawled the horse bit bank/shop and found this http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=645 but wasn't sure if the material was too similar to rubber - it's a expensive gamble.....

I guess it's worth trying the metal mullen mouth as is quite different to the magic bit

Jo1987

Visit site
As far as I can tell, the Beris bits are pretty similar to happy mouths! I would probably try and get hold of a metal mullen mouth to try first, probably cheaper than a happy mouth, far less likely to rub and hopefully your boy won't mind it! I would have thought happy mouths would be less likely to rub than rubber however, rubber is quite grippy and seems to dry the mouth causing friction whereas happy mouths tend not to so much. Trial and error I'm afraid!

Jo1987

Visit site
Also Shires have a nice selection of mullen mouth bits in happy mouth style as well as metal, all under £20.

Redders

Visit site
Just to add I have a happy mouth baucher with lozenge and am finding evidence of rub from the happy mouth so am switching to metal. I figure it may be more forgiving on skin as it is smother and stays smooth.