Bit & Nosebad advice needed.

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted about before but am just looking to pick your knowledgeable brains over some issues i've been having with monkey. He has always had a pretty high head carriage, but as he has a very soft and sensitive mouth we havent had many issues getting him to work across his back onto the bit other than a lot of constant but gentle persuasion. He was in a Happy Mouth Loose ring snaffle as a baby and we only changed it because he started to chew it quite a bit. I've noticed recently that when he is nervous, excited or tense he chews his bit a lot and either backs off the contact quite a bit (think shooting backwards and bouncing on his front legs), or if we are hacking out and he sees something he locks his neck, shakes his whole body then goes to rear and spin round or take off. Right now he is in a Neue Schule Starter Bit (loose ring again) for everything and a plain caveson noseband with a martingale for hacking or the odd jumping lesson. He is 6 this month and has back and teeth checked last month. A friend suggested (other than checking if he was a rig :rolleyes:) trying him out hacking with a grackle noseband to get more control over the whole neck locking and spining round/taking off, and a bit which exerts more poll pressure as he doesnt like his mouth played with too much and I need to bring his head down a bit. I am also looking for more of a step up from the NS for dressage, I'd love to compete him in dressage some day if we get transport and I dont think he is that comfortable in the current bit (again chewing and bobbing his had up and down followed by hollowing his back). I have looked on the internet but I cant seem to find an actual list of bits which exert poll pressure but are still mild enough not to ruin his mouth and are dressage legal, any suggestions?

Hopefully this makes sense to you all, leftover home-made birthday cake on offer for your help and for getting to the end! :)

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I found the NS Fulmer Lozenge bit helped my mare, also found a fulmer myler helped a youngster I broke recently, and he settled in that lovely. You can rent bits from the bit bank to help find the right bit for your horse :)

Kat

Visit site
The sustainable dressage website is very useful for explainations of how bits work.

I'm not sure you want a bit with "poll pressure" or to bring his head down, I think you want something that will be comfortable enough for him to work into a contact. And the napping needs to be dealt with in other ways.

I'd try a full cheek to help with the steering, and a mouthpeice that should be nice and mild, maybe a tranz angled or demi anky or just a simple lozenge or french link. The extra stablilty of the full cheek with keepers may also stop him fussing with the bit so much.

If his head is going really high I'd try a standing martingale with a cavesson, unless he rears (maybe add a flash if you are sure he is comfy in his mouth but he is opening it to evade you). If his head isn't going really high then stick with the running martingle and maybe try a grackle if you think he is crossing his jaw.

You could consider a market harborough, harbridge, or even draw reins instead of a running martingale if he is getting his head up as a serious evasion and it is becoming a safety issue.

However I'd be inclined to get an exprienced instructor to have a look and to ride him a few times and help you out with it.

forestfantasy

Visit site
Perhaps try a bit that is more stable in his mouth like a hanging cheek.
Snaffles are head raisers - not what you need, and a loose ring just gives him more to play with.
How about a mullen mouth of some kind?
I would definitely try something with a fixed cheek - not a loose ring.
I'm also a market harborough fan - rather than sticking stronger bits in - the MH will only come into play if he throws his head up too far.

The napping just sounds like something you will have to work through i'm afriad.

Deseado

Visit site
This sounds like more than just a bit problem - as others have said, perhaps you should seek some outside assistance from a professional instructor/trainer?

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
We're having weekly lessons and have an instructor who liveries her horse on the yard who is always there for advice. He hates french links but will try the other combinations you have all suggested. He schools beautifully when I can get his concentration. Its just that every year at this time we have issues in spring. I know we just have to work through but I just want to make him as comfortable as possible and I don't feel his current bit suits him, I'm not too keen on flash nose bands, would a drop be better perhaps? Thank you all for your suggestions so far, greatly appreciated!! :)

Kat

Visit site
We're having weekly lessons and have an instructor who liveries her horse on the yard who is always there for advice. He hates french links but will try the other combinations you have all suggested. He schools beautifully when I can get his concentration. Its just that every year at this time we have issues in spring. I know we just have to work through but I just want to make him as comfortable as possible and I don't feel his current bit suits him, I'm not too keen on flash nose bands, would a drop be better perhaps? Thank you all for your suggestions so far, greatly appreciated!! :)

I'm also not a fan of flashes, and only suggested it if you are using a standing martingale. If you aren't going to try a standing martingale then use a grackle or drop (I'd go for a grackle as he may be crossing his jaw when he is locking his neck against you). You must only use a standing with a cavesson noseband never a drop or grackle so that is why the flash was invented. :)

I think a french link would be my last choice if he is fussy and chompy, I'd go for a lozenge/ball/peanut or a demi anky type single joint. I do think a full cheek with keepers would be worth a try.

If he gets nappy in spring maybe try a magnesium suppliment? Magnitude is pretty cheap £19 for six months worth. Magnesium deficiency can result in spooky/nappy type behaviour, and grass is low in magnesium in spring.

It also sounds as though the bit isn't your problem with hacking, get something he is comfy and happy with schooling and then use martingale/noseband/training aid together with riding through to tackle the nappiness.

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
Thank you Kat :) will try a full cheek with lozenge first as I quite like the lozenges, and a running martingale with grackle for hacking. Its usually the case where I don't have to touch the reins, but then if he winds himself up I'd like to have some control :D is this type of bit dressage legal? Obviously without the martingale and a different noseband :)