Bit of a cough...

Abz88

Visit site
Hello all again!

I have been to see my mare today, and after feeding her (low-cal mix and high quality hay/herb mix - already moist) she started coughing away. At first I thought nothing of it, but it carried on for a good 30mins. Between times she was alert and her usual nosey self and following me about the field. Then she started having what I can only describe as a coughing fit, started pouring at the ground while coughing and flicking her tail - not a happy girl. This lasted a couple of minutes, then stopped again and I stayed with her another 10mins to see if she did it again, she had 2 more coughs but no way near as bad. She had no other symptoms of a cold, like mucky eyes/nose although did seem quite warm for such a cold day - was a bit sweaty when I took her rug off.

Do you think it is litrally that she got feed stuck in her wind pipe/throat? That was my first thought but after 20mins or so I did start doubting myself. She has never shown signs of couging before and was fine yesturday. Any thoughts would be good to hear :0) thank you!

xx

be positive

Visit site
I would think she choked while eating, just not too severely it may just be a one off but keep an eye on her,it would help if the feed could be dampened a bit more or possibly her teeth need checking if she is not chewing properly.

Abz88

Visit site
Thanks for that! Yes, I may try dampening her food a bit more, she did seem to gulp down her feed today. So may also be time to call the dentist out! Hopfully tomorrow she'll be ok. Even my farrier commented on the speed she eats! But she does munch a carrot with no trouble or pain. May be she is just a pig! Would it be an idea to feed her in 2 stints - I know you do that with greedy dogs who gulp their food down as it makes them slow down a bit?

xx

darkhorse123

Visit site
Watch her very carefully
My cob developed a cough last week, thought not as bad as yours (didnt bother him) and i thought it woudl pass. No other symptoms - no hight temp, no runny nose, eating well.
Left him one evening and got a call from another livery at 8pm who thought he was colicking - id left him at 5pm. He was so distressed, thrashing about the floor, pawing when stood
I called emergency vet - he was sedated, tummy washed out, steroid given and antibiotics and a med for asthma - vet unsure what it was but told me id to stay with him overnight in case he did nto improve or got worse.
He is fine now - after bloods and second visit to check him vet thinks it was allergy or infection.
Not wanting ot scare you but I dread ot think what woudl have happened if my livery hadnt been up so late - he got very ill so so quickly

FionaM12

Visit site
It does sound like choke to me. Mollie had the symptoms you described when she choked, but worse. She cleared it by coughing quite quickly though.