Bit of a dilemma - whos right?!

Reashi

Visit site
Right, I'm seeing the son of a racehorse trainer. I've started working for the trainer riding a few horses out for him, taking some up the gallops etc and get paid for it. I was riding an owners horse up the gallops and taking him over a few jumps, and half way through the owner turned up and watched. After I had finished and was tacking up my next horse, the owner put £40 in my hand. I said thank you and stuffed it in my pocket. When I was riding out with the son (who has not long started riding) I told him what had happened and he told me to give it back to the owner. Because my pocket didnt have a zip he took the money and put it in his pocket, and he said that he will give it back to the owner. Now, I think it shouldnt be given back to the owner, if the owner wants to give me some money for riding the horse then why shouldnt he, and surely its between me and the owner whether I decide to give it back. However, my bloke says that the owner probably doesn't realise I'm being paid for riding the horse by the trainer (I dont think hes that stupid!), and besides even if he didn't know I was being paid, the trainer isn't paying me £40 to ride the horse so I'd much rather the £40 than what the trainer is paying me!!!!!!!!!! So I would've liked to have kept it! Is this wrong?

zigzag

Visit site
TBH I wouldn't have taken it, I would have said there is no need sir I am being paid to ride the horse... if owner then insisted I would probabaly have taken it and told the trainer... when my boss had horses in training, if something was given to a lad/lass it was put into the stable lads/lass fund and shared equally out...

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If the owner wants to give you some money, then what is the problem? To be honest, I would speak to the trainer directly and ask him what the usual way of dealing with this is.

eventersrus

www.supremehorse.co.uk
This is very common in racing,owners giving staff money,l would have said thanks and kept it
grin.gif

spanishmustangs

www.spanishmustangs.org.uk
It is common practice for owners to tip the lad looking after the horse, especially if they are happy with the way the horse looks or is being ridden, Depending on the owner he might even take offence if you give it back.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Different yards have different systems, so I'd have a word with the boss and see what he says - but when I worked in racing, it was quite usual for owners to tip the lads who did their horses, or those that rode them out - I certainly supplemented my wages this way
smile.gif
and my boss used to get quite chuffed if an owner tipped us well, since he felt it reflected well on the yard as a whole.

Besides, £40 is probably peanuts to the owner, but might make quite a difference to the lad!

Reashi

Visit site
That's what I thought. People don't give people £40 in the hope they won't want it and give it back!

Zigzag - I'm the only person who works there so I'd be sharing it with myself anyway
grin.gif
!

zigzag

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought. People don't give people £40 in the hope they won't want it and give it back!

Zigzag - I'm the only person who works there so I'd be sharing it with myself anyway
grin.gif
!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
That's even better then !

LCobby

Visit site
Talk to the trainer about his policy- It may be the son was told he msut not accept money from owners ( as he is family) and did not realise that staff were differently treated.
Trainer should know if owner tips, as already said, its a good sign that owner is happy.

Giving it back to owner now would be insulting to owner, trainer shoudl just let you know fir future if he does not allow tipping,
(If on the other hand, son just pocketed it, find new BF! )

seabiscuit

Visit site
Tis typical in racing yards for the owners to tip the riders and workers of their horses, it is a well-known common practice, do not know what this boy was trying to achieve, how rude towards both you and the owner.

Starbucks

Visit site
Yea your bloke is wrong IMO!! I'd have slapped my OH if he took money out of my pocket!
tongue.gif
If it happens again, don't tell him and keep it!
grin.gif

enchanted

New User
Visit site
Race horse owners are usually loaded and not stupid, so he would know you were being paid, and chose to tip you. Nothing wrong or unusual there. Next time wear something with a zip! Think maybe your boyfriend was jealous!