Bit of a rant

GrumpyHero

Visit site
On Wednesday i went to get Hero from the field (which is the furthest away field) and id left his leadrope/headcollar on the gate. I get there and its GONE! Cue furious Jess stomping back down to the yard trying to find it, so i have to use my nice one instead.
I put a facebook status asking whoever took it to just put it back outside his stable and ask next time before they take it. A day later its still not there so i go hunting the farm for it and i find it hung on the notice board in the other barn which i never go in because none of my stuff is in there. Grrrr.

THEN i go to get a bale of straw (i had 2 left) and they've BOTH GONE.
I'm so furious!!! YO is gonna spray my next lot with UV paint so if it gets taken again we can find them :cool: i think she's sick of it aswell its happened a few times.
I can't wait to move stable to the other side of the yard where it's a lot nicer!
Anyone else seem to have a problem with taking things that aren't theirs on their farm?

Sorry just had to rant somewhere! Wine for everyone :D

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
That's so annoying. You wouldn't go into someone's house, use their stuff and eat their food, so why do people think it's ok on a yard?!

babymare

Visit site
Nothing annoys me more thsn my stuff being used and not returned. i am very safety concious but find my tools left everywhere and i have now lost a fork. i have no probs people using stuff but return it please. my yo wss getting annoyed that my wheelbarrow was constantly left at muck heap till explained . grrrrrrrrr

GrumpyHero

Visit site
Its so annoying :( We're all at the farm for the same reason - because we love horses - so why steal from one and give to another?
(I wouldn't mind letting someone borrow a bale if they'd ran out!)

:mad:

CBFan

Visit site
MAYBE your headcollar was found off the gate (i.e a horse had pulled it off?) and whoever found it didn't know who it belonged to?

I agree though, there is nothing worse than stuff going missing...but don't be too hasty to jump to conclusions...

unbalanced

Visit site
Are you sure it's a person? My head collar went and so did the other livery's within a week of each other. There are only three of us in the yard and the farmer. I asked everyone individually and the farmer says maybe a fox or badger ran off with it. Without any other explanation I have to go with that. Or perhaps someone took it by mistake? Does it look similar to someone else's?

GrumpyHero

Visit site
Yeah i had it strapped to the gate with the leadrope tied to the gate - unless a badger/horse knows how to unbuckle a headcollar and untie a leadrope and carry it all the way down to the notice board then it was a person!

Because its the furthest field i guess people get lazy if they forget their own. I wouldnt mind them using it if they forgot theirs if they put it back afterwards.

No one else has the headcollar or the same leadrope in that field. The fact that it miraculously turned up the day after i had put it on facebook aswell .. surely not a coincidence?

The straw theft has p****d me off the most though!

CBFan

Visit site
Yeah i had it strapped to the gate with the leadrope tied to the gate - unless a badger/horse knows how to unbuckle a headcollar and untie a leadrope and carry it all the way down to the notice board then it was a person!
!

I wouldn't put it past any horse to be able to unfasten it from the gate if they were that way inclined... I didn't suggest a horse had carried it to the noticboard but maybe a human had found it and hung it there thinking it would be easily found by it's owner.

Instead of putting sharp messages on facebook pages a polite 'has anyone borrowed my headcollar?' would do just the same job...

GrumpyHero

Visit site
The message i put on facebook actually read
'If you have taken my headcollar off field 5's gate could you please put it back or put it outside my stable and ask next time before using it'

I wouldn't class that as sharp.
The types on the yard are the ones to take other people property. Don't quite understand why you are having a dig at me?
I'd never dream of using someone elses property without first asking permission, or if i did i'd put it back exactly as i found it.

Its not really the headcollar im bothered about as i've got it back. More the straw as I can't get it back as someone's used it.
I've not a problem people using my belongings as long as they ask me/tell me and leave it as it was found.

tessybear

Visit site
I would be peed off too ! It's rude you especially the straw which was clearly a person who decided to use it. I would put up a sign on near my straw politely saying:

" I am aware who is using my straw and will not take further actions on the basis it is not used again without my permission "

Might just scare them into thinking they are being watched ?

Frosty89

Visit site
This is what I hate most about livery yards.

I have no quarms about anyone using my things as long as they are put back where they found them or replaced if they end up damaging it. I've resorted to hiding my fork/shovel/brush under my rugs as I was spending more time hunting them down everyday than I was the actual mucking out.

A while ago one livery kept taking my flash off my horses bridle and using it on her bridle. When I confronted her about it and demanded it back as this was happening daily her reply was "what am I going to use now"? :confused:

GrumpyHero

Visit site
A while ago one livery kept taking my flash off my horses bridle and using it on her bridle. When I confronted her about it and demanded it back as this was happening daily her reply was "what am I going to use now"? :confused:

Some people really do confuse me! Do they genuinely think using other peoples things without permission on a daily basis is okay?!
Maybe theyre just thick :confused:

CBFan

Visit site
The message i put on facebook actually read
'If you have taken my headcollar off field 5's gate could you please put it back or put it outside my stable and ask next time before using it'

I wouldn't class that as sharp.
The types on the yard are the ones to take other people property. Don't quite understand why you are having a dig at me?
I'd never dream of using someone elses property without first asking permission, or if i did i'd put it back exactly as i found it.

The bit I've highlighted in bold has a bit of a sting in it... baring in mind there could have been a genuine reason for them using it...

I'm not having a dig... you just come across a bit stroppy and as if you rather jump to conclusions thats all. I was just trying to highlight that there are genuine people out there who could have innocently picked up your headcollar and hung it in a place where they thought you might find it - not knowing who it belongs to. It seems the experience of certain types of people on your yard has made you quite defensive. Not everyone is thieving scum...

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Jess we used just a sign saying "theftproof paint in use on straw" - seemed to work :D
but yeah the straw theft is so annoying and our haylage was also going - it's now having to be padlocked up and our feed is all locked away - it's stupid we have to do it.
Our side of the farm is better :D you need to come back to our side!!!

I don't care if people use my things - as long as they put them back INTACT NOT BROKEN or ask...very annoying when I come to use my brush/fork/shovel and find that it's completely broken

CBFan - if I have to grab a headcollar or something in an emergency, I'll grab the nearest, use it and either put it back where I found it OR put it on the noticeboard with a note saying "my apologies, I had to grab a headcollar quick and this was nearest, but not sure where it came from" Some people do just take headcollars and throw them in the nearest bit of grass when they're done - very annoying and very rude!!

K x

Last edited: